ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Seeing dietician for bariatric surgery target on wednesday.
Still not much in it this morning. 128.60kg this morning still. So no gain or loss. Had a few treats this week. Had cod and a few too many chips with the start of the election count. Had a bit too much batter too. I need to pull the reigns back in. Carbs are creeping back in. Mr ickihun no help with my weight loss plan.
I must be good this week. Fish and protein bread with veggies should sort me out.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
P
84.2 kg today, down 1 kg on the week. Managed to do some longer fasting periods, which have really helped. Now very close to my target weight.

Not sure how to proceed once I have reached my target weight given how ingrained LCHF, IF & long walks have become an integral part of my life.
Put a percentage in reserve? Then increase protein to sustain good muscle health?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
9/6 - Good Morning :).
Still the same weight for the past 7 weeks = 12 stone 12 lbs.
Well Done Everybody :).

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
84.2 kg today, down 1 kg on the week. Managed to do some longer fasting periods, which have really helped. Now very close to my target weight.

Not sure how to proceed once I have reached my target weight given how ingrained LCHF, IF & long walks have become an integral part of my life.

Jonbvn - As your diet is working and you are still losing at a decent rate, it could be worthwhile starting to balance (in terms of not losing or gaining) your way of eating, rather than wait until you are at your target weight. I know when I was in the trimming up mode, it took me several weeks to stop losing weight. I was enjoying my food, and certainly not hungry, so I found that balancing process quite tricky.

If your target is at quite a generous level, in terms of BMI, or whatever metric you have chosen to use, the need to start the balancing process a few weeks early may not be so important. I have certainly ended up slimmer than I intended, because I just kept losing for a while.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: jonbvn and Prem51

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been 72 kg for many months and decided a couple of weeks ago to see if I can gently take it down by reducing my lunchtime feed.... and it's going okay. Down to 70.5 kg last sunday, I weigh every fortnight..... and my FBGs seem to be tracking.. now mostly sub 5.0's, which is fine by me.
Question is: at what weight to try and stablise it again.....

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Jonbvn - As your diet is working and you are still losing at a decent rate, it could be worthwhile starting to balance (in terms of not losing or gaining) your way of eating, rather than wait until you are at your target weight. I know when I was in the trimming up mode, it took me several weeks to stop losing weight. I was enjoying my food, and certainly not hungry, so I found that balancing process quite tricky.

If your target is at quite a generous level, in terms of BMI, or whatever metric you have chosen to use, the need to start the balancing process a few weeks early may not be so important. I have certainly ended up slimmer than I intended, because I just kept losing for a while.

Good luck with it all.
I think I will carry on with LCHF and plenty of exercise and try cutting back on IF. I do 5/2 fasting at the moment. Will try 6/1 and see where that leads, with a view to stopping fasting completely.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, I lost weight when first diagnosed with Type 2. I would like to lose at least 8 kg as I still have a lot of intra-abdominal fat. Will fasting e.g. 5:2 diet muck up my blood glucose levels if I continue to take Metformin? I have got a good grip on LCHF and have increased my exercise. My HbA1c has been in the non-diabetic range for 3 years and I am still taking 1000g Metformin per day. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I lost weight when first diagnosed with Type 2. I would like to lose at least 8 kg as I still have a lot of intra-abdominal fat. Will fasting e.g. 5:2 diet muck up my blood glucose levels if I continue to take Metformin? I have got a good grip on LCHF and have increased my exercise. My HbA1c has been in the non-diabetic range for 3 years and I am still taking 1000g Metformin per day. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

DrSnoddy - There is more than one version/meaning to the 5:2 diet. One is a low cal 5 days, then normal (non-weight loss) for 2, and in some cases, on here, it means 2 days fasting + 5 days of the individual's chosen way of eating.

I'd say it would be helpful if you could clarify which 5:2 you mean before I'd care to comment.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Not sure what you mean. Can you explain?
What I would do, if I get a chance is sustain my weight to a small percentage less than ideal weight (in reserve). So if I increased my protein level it would even itself out - to be still ideal weight. Sorry for being a bit vague!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you don't eat, you don't need metformin. Metformin works with digestion and the liver.
If you plan on reducing your meds first then this isn't a concern.
What is your reason for doing 5:2 diet?

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
DrSnoddy - There is more than one version/meaning to the 5:2 diet. One is a low cal 5 days, then normal (non-weight loss) for 2, and in some cases, on here, it means 2 days fasting + 5 days of the individual's chosen way of eating.

I'd say it would be helpful if you could clarify which 5:2 you mean before I'd care to comment.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi moderator. I was considering 2 fast days and 5 days of careful, normal eating.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi moderator. I was considering 2 fast days and 5 days of careful, normal eating.

I think you'll be just fine, without disrupting your meds. Metformin doesn't work on a dose by dose basis, it works by building up in your system, over a couple of weeks. On that basis a couple of days fasting shouldn't be a problem.

Depending on what you actually eat on your "careful, normal eating days", your bloods will reflect that. Clearly, it makes sense to test diligently for the first few times you do fast, just to see what's going on. Because everyone is different nobody can say for certain exactly what will happen for you.

Reactions: Liam1955

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I had to weigh myself for FLO this morning and I was 128.40kgs. Thought I'd note it here so it will be easier to check what I've lost by friday.
Struggling to find my last post of my weight.

Last edited: