Diane Abbott T2

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371625

So, according to the Guardian, Diane Abbott has suffered from T2 for 2 years and this was the reason why she appears to be a complete idiot whenever she is interviewed.
Having followed her 'career' for many years I would like to know why she appeared to be an idiot before she had T2?

Perhaps she is just an idiot?

Reactions: bulkbiker and Bon83

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The article is here for everyone to read rather than being coloured by the political dogma of posters. Also in the paper are articles about fake news and a report of how much the two main parties spent on on-line advertising on facebook. As ssupporters have a one cliche label for everyone than qualifies their bullying I will nw be labelled a lws but such is :- life. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...g&utm_term=230528&subid=10401739&CMP=ema-2793

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
So, according to the Guardian, Diane Abbott has suffered from T2 for 2 years and this was the reason why she appears to be a complete idiot whenever she is interviewed.
Having followed her 'career' for many years I would like to know why she appeared to be an idiot before she had T2?

Perhaps she is just an idiot?
What is the purpose of this post? It appears to be just a nasty rant

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The article is here for everyone to read rather than being coloured by the political dogma of posters. Also in the paper are articles about fake news and a report of how much the two main parties spent on on-line advertising on facebook. As ssupporters have a one cliche label for everyone than qualifies their bullying I will nw be labelled a lws but such is :- life. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...g&utm_term=230528&subid=10401739&CMP=ema-2793
Actually apart from the grinding monotony of the repitition of the phrase as it is slung around as a term of abuse what is wrong with being labelled a left wing symphasier as long as an equal number of people abuse me as being a right wing symphasier?

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On radio four today she is quoted as saying it was not eating for a long period that caused her poor performance. Not sure I understand how that would work?
What bothered me though is the message in this that Diabetics cannot hold down responsible jobs or be relied on! There's enough discrimination in the world already.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
She it seems like many here for one reason or another allowed her blood sugar levels to get out of control for a while, we all know how that can feel.

Oh and as to her being an idiot I do not think Cambridge have awarded very many degrees to idiots.

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Leaving the politics to one side, I don't think it's a very helpful thing to say with regards to diabetes awareness- it basically suggests diabetics lose the ability to handle figures or appear well-briefed when they're hungry- not a message I want out there.

Perhaps Theresa May can now blame her awkward moments on her T1?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She used to appear in a late night program on BBC "This Week" hosted by Andrew Neil. She and Michael Portillo were the supporting acts. Portillo, is a smooth ac t, but she wasn't that bad either. Maybe the pressure of campaigning got the better of her.
I hope she is able to better manage her T2 :)

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Leaving the politics to one side, I don't think it's a very helpful thing to say with regards to diabetes awareness- it basically suggests diabetics lose the ability to handle figures or appear well-briefed when they're hungry- not a message I want out there.

Perhaps Theresa May can now blame her awkward moments on her T1?

She's obviously on medication and some of the T2 drugs can produce hypos. (note the mention of glucose tablets in the article) Not eating regularly is going to increase the risk of severe hypos. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/severe-hypoglycemia.html
It is well known that hypos reduce the ability to process information because the brain is being starved of fuel. I remember being told one way of checking to see if I was going low was to try some multiplication in my head! I know when I do have hypos that I want to get away from people, talking at me and retreat into myself I would think that a TV interview when hypo would be a nightmare situation.
I'd be the first person to say that diabetes shouldn't stop you from attempting to do anything but it's also important to realise that it is only possible to do anything when the condition is well controlled. There are times when other events or simply trying to do too much can get in the way of that. That's where she, or Theresa May or any of us really needs someone near us who is aware of the potential problems (and our symptoms)
Pragmatically, Diane Abbott, increased her majority, I presume that the local populace consider that she has demonstrated her abilities as their MP.

The important message to get out is the symptoms and treatment of a hypo.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

What is the purpose of this post? It appears to be just a nasty rant
I agree. There is another thread running at the moment asking people to petition broadcasters to visit this site for information about diabetes management. If they do, they will see a fellow diabetic being ridiculed and called an idiot. Nice work at promoting the site as being supportive.

@Administrator

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
She's obviously on medication and some of the T2 drugs can produce hypos. (note the mention of glucose tablets in the article) Not eating regularly is going to increase the risk of severe hypos. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/severe-hypoglycemia.html
It is well known that hypos reduce the ability to process information because the brain is being starved of fuel. I remember being told one way of checking to see if I was going low was to try some multiplication in my head! I know when I do have hypos that I want to get away from people, talking at me and retreat into myself I would think that a TV interview when hypo would be a nightmare situation.
I'd be the first person to say that diabetes shouldn't stop you from attempting to do anything but it's also important to realise that it is only possible to do anything when the condition is well controlled. There are times when other events or simply trying to do too much can get in the way of that. That's where she, or Theresa May or any of us really needs someone near us who is aware of the potential problems (and our symptoms)
Pragmatically, Diane Abbott, increased her majority, I presume that the local populace consider that she has demonstrated her abilities as their MP.

The important message to get out is the symptoms and treatment of a hypo.
Yes, that's fair enough, and if that *is* the message that gets out, then great. My worry, given that the general public isn't that knowledgeable about type 2, and that this is one of the highest profile 'mentions' of the condition, is that people will simply take this as suggesting that type 2 makes you unreliable and easily confused at work.

What do most people think about type 2? (if they think about it at all)
Probably that you catch it by being fat and greedy
The idea that mere hunger can render diabetics incapable of handling figures and basic work tasks looks like an easy, albeit toxic, complement to this.

Reactions: zand and dbr10

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Here is another link to the Diane Abbot story and how the Tories bullied her. Something they are quite clearly continuing to do post election. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...election-campaign-labour-corbyn-a7788781.html
If other diabetics are as unsympathetic as the first post and those that agree with him there is not much hope in expecting understanding from colleagues in the workplace, especially the boss. Never mind the general public.

Reactions: Prem51

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes, that's fair enough, and if that *is* the message that gets out, then great. My worry, given that the general public isn't that knowledgeable about type 2, and that this is one of the highest profile 'mentions' of the condition, is that people will simply take this as suggesting that type 2 makes you unreliable and easily confused at work.

What do most people think about type 2? (if they think about it at all)
Probably that you catch it by being fat and greedy
The idea that mere hunger can render diabetics incapable of handling figures and basic work tasks looks like an easy, albeit toxic, complement to this.
That is about it. I have a particular background and skill set that gives me a "certain amount of spoiling" but even so the whole life aspect of myT2D (my GP has not given me the option of medication) would make me really embarassed and awkward if I had a different disposition. The choice is conform, keep quiet about diabetes, eat what is presented and hope to be lucky or "cater for myself" and explain why I am not eating/drinking the same as the others. I soothe my wounded pride with the thought I am educating others and making it easier for those that follow. Keeping quiet does not help and villifing makes bullying seem acceptable behaviour.

I have no idea what that woman must have gone through but no one should be subjected to the treatment she was singled out for. Agree with her politics or not. No one has had a similar go at May about her hiding from debates and public or filling her meeting rooms with her supporters.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I'm absolutely with you that Diane Abbott shouldn't be bullied, but as far as nobody having a go at May for missing debates goes, I'm not so sure. I'm no fan of Theresa May, but this cartoon and the comments underneath seem to qualify.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ell-on-theresa-mays-tv-debate-no-show-cartoon

And here she's being pilloried for looking uncomfortable eating chips: that seems quite insensitive for a type 1

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ly-eating-chips-could-be-2017s-bacon-sandwich

Reactions: donnellysdogs

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well, I'm absolutely with you that Diane Abbott shouldn't be bullied, but as far as nobody having a go at May for missing debates goes, I'm not so sure. I'm no fan of Theresa May, but this cartoon and the comments underneath seem to qualify.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ell-on-theresa-mays-tv-debate-no-show-cartoon

And here she's being pilloried for looking uncomfortable eating chips: that seems quite insensitive for a type 1

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ly-eating-chips-could-be-2017s-bacon-sandwich
I was referring to on this site and stand corrected if people on this site were making objectionable comments about her not eating the chips. Were they? It is appalling to set her up to eat chips. Pure bullying. As a T1D that is as bad as setting up a practising Jew to eat a bacon sarnie. I never did work out if Ed Milliband was a practising Jew. As a diet controlled t2d both the chips and the bread would have me out for the count. It would be great if whoever is behind setting up these monstrous attacks was named and shamed. Even better if no one bought the papers containing these infringements of personal dignity. No one buys papers = less access to the advertisers magic money trees and that will kick the perpetrators in the metaphoricals.

lindisfel

Expert
She it seems like many here for one reason or another allowed her blood sugar levels to get out of control for a while, we all know how that can feel.

Oh and as to her being an idiot I do not think Cambridge have awarded very many degrees to idiots.

Earlier today it was said on R4 she was also on insulin so she, given time, hopefully will be better controlled. The vitriol of some people on the internet, is, I am afraid, a fact of life.
Often the motivation can be strong political or racial motivations that people sadly have difficulty keeping in check.
The best thing would be if they, of whatever persuasion, would be to say they are sorry and then shut their cakeholes when they feel the urge to loose off in future!
Derek

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Earlier today it was said on R4 she was also on insulin so she, given time, hopefully will be better controlled. The vitriol of some people on the internet, is, I am afraid, a fact of life.
Often the motivation can be strong political or racial motivations that people sadly have difficulty keeping in check.
The best thing would be if they, of whatever persuasion, would be to say they are sorry and then shut their cakeholes when they feel the urge to loose off in future!
Derek

I wrote a letter to her today ( snail mail- as all emails get bounced ) explaining what we do here and how it works - referencing dietdoctor.com, diabetes.co.uk and the Tim Noakes deposition hearings with a "keto " food pyramid, just in case she's been so busy that she's delegated that part of her affairs to other who may not actually be fully enlightened yet.

Hopefully she will at least read it or have someone look at for her. In the end it may be she already knows everything we do, but I know for me personally when I was working in a stressful job, it was my tendency to delegate things to experts that I now know would have been better if I had kept control of.

I have no particular leanings left or right, but no-one should have to suffer feeling like she must have done to actually go through those interviews if there is more that could be done to help her improve her condition.

I either she or Teresa May joins the site, then I for one would be very pleased to provide any assistance possible to both of them.