Diane Abbott T2

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, I guess maybe the perfect ones of us should be beating a path to her door to do her job, it seems it would be easy for you to fit it in along side your normal day, then maybe sort out brexit and works peace before an early night?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been away and may have missed a post mentioning this, but I wonder if she is taking statins? Even after only a few tablets, memory can be affected very badly. Someone I knew lost her car and quite simply couldn't function within a week of starting them. She stopped taking them and recovered quickly.
I doubt it, she would probably have mentioned that, she doesn't seem to have forgotten she's diabetic.

Michael4450

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, according to the Guardian, Diane Abbott has suffered from T2 for 2 years and this was the reason why she appears to be a complete idiot whenever she is interviewed.
Having followed her 'career' for many years I would like to know why she appeared to be an idiot before she had T2?

Perhaps she is just an idiot?

I don't know whether to laugh or

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
She's obviously on medication and some of the T2 drugs can produce hypos. (note the mention of glucose tablets in the article) Not eating regularly is going to increase the risk of severe hypos. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/severe-hypoglycemia.html
It is well known that hypos reduce the ability to process information because the brain is being starved of fuel. I remember being told one way of checking to see if I was going low was to try some multiplication in my head! I know when I do have hypos that I want to get away from people, talking at me and retreat into myself I would think that a TV interview when hypo would be a nightmare situation.
I'd be the first person to say that diabetes shouldn't stop you from attempting to do anything but it's also important to realise that it is only possible to do anything when the condition is well controlled. There are times when other events or simply trying to do too much can get in the way of that. That's where she, or Theresa May or any of us really needs someone near us who is aware of the potential problems (and our symptoms)
Pragmatically, Diane Abbott, increased her majority, I presume that the local populace consider that she has demonstrated her abilities as their MP.

The important message to get out is the symptoms and treatment of a hypo.
Having lived in hackney north for most of my life, you could pin a labour rosette on a robot and it would get plenty of votes, so I was not surprised she increased hers.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If Dianne Abbot has been given the standard NHs dietary advice, then she isnt going to be able to fully control her diabetes to the best of her ability, regardless of how much monitoring she does.

I agree, Diane also stated she had not been controlling her blood sugar. Anyone with a meter they had already used would already know that T2 + fasting plus drugs is likely to lead to a hypo. The fact that she didn't suggests that she was not using one as per NHS advice. .

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost count of the many people posting on here, including myself, who, even after a long time of research and informing themselves and questioning, have only stumbled on this forum and similar info by accident.

Lets not blame the ones like me, who didnt find the info easily, even after much effort.

This has to be true -it s currently estimated that there are 3m million diabetics in the UK. ALL of them could be helped to some extent by following some part of the advice on here. Last time I looked the site was celebrating something like 1/4 million people ? so 11 out of 12 UK diabetics do not appear to make it to here - assuming that all members are actually from the UK which isn't true .

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This has to be true -it s currently estimated that there are 3m million diabetics in the UK. ALL of them could be helped to some extent by following some part of the advice on here. Last time I looked the site was celebrating something like 1/4 million people ? so 11 out of 12 UK diabetics do not appear to make it to here - assuming that all members are actually from the UK which isn't true .

Whilst that is true, there are over half a million members on the Low Carb Programme, and goodness knows how many guests who never register.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If Dianne Abbot has been given the standard NHs dietary advice, then she isnt going to be able to fully control her diabetes to the best of her ability, regardless of how much monitoring she does.
Plus many type 2's are told not to monitor

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I just found at least 8 links, I wish the internet was around when I was diagnosed , it would of been a godsend :)
The internet search facilities are very hit and miss and there is no rule saying we will find the most appropriate site for us within a reasonable timescale.
The links found would depend on the search. I am on google chrome so I get the advertisements first. In my case I found the .org site first as I began by looking for dietary advice. Since I have never eaten many desserts or much chocolate the emphasis on .org did not make sense to me so I happened to continue looking. Even when I found this site and signed up to the low carb programme I found it impossible to get beyond week one. Very annoying as I did not drink the sodas I had to give up in that week and was immediately ready to progress to week 2 IF I had ever managed to find it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's a sad state of affairs when a person gets ridiculed for being ill and worse when they admit why!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst that is true, there are over half a million members on the Low Carb Programme, and goodness knows how many guests who never register.

ha ha make me a liar - then only 3million non joiners not 3.25 M ! less the 3million guests who look but don't register. I doubt the point alters much :)

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ha ha make me a liar - then only 3million non joiners not 3.25 M ! less the 3million guests who look but don't register. I doubt the point alters much :)
[QUOTE
I agree. There is another thread running at the moment asking people to petition broadcasters to visit this site for information about diabetes management. If they do, they will see a fellow diabetic being ridiculed and called an idiot. Nice work at promoting the site as being supportive.

@Administrator
I agree Avocado.I have been away from the site whilst on holiday and am both surprised and saddened by some of the vituperative posts on here.As Diane Abbott was a former Shadow Health Secretary, whatever your political persuasion,it would appear to be a good time to point her to this site and to highlight the poor advice being given to type 2 diabetics by the NHS.................As a poster has already stated,each of us is different,with individual needs and medication.As I,for instance when beginning the low carb diet, had two hypos.I was on Gliclazide and Metformin.I tested and was a low 3 each time.I recognised what was happening only from what I had read on this site.Thank goodness I wasn't driving,or being interviewed on TV, just pushing a Dyson cleaner over the carpets!! I certainly suffered from brain fog,felt ill and was quickly taken off Glicazide by my GP.
="Avocado Sevenfold, post: 1485896, member: 91401"]I agree. There is another thread running at the moment asking people to petition broadcasters to visit this site for information about diabetes management. If they do, they will see a fellow diabetic being ridiculed and called an idiot. Nice work at promoting the site as being supportive.

@Administrator[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Gannet and Prem51

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully if she does join she will see through the political stuff to the underlying heart of the matter, that we ALL want ALL diabetics to have the BEST shot at improving their own health and no matter who we are, or what we believe in politically, personal health should ( and does) transcend that, for the vast majority of us.

Lolhere

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a diabetic type 2 since 2012... I have had bouts of confusion blankness type of brain freeze... Excess stress is a big factor, as well as activity for me. The issue is normally not about whether you can hold a job etc.. For me it's about getting Sugars under control. I'm still struggling with that & just started meds to combat it. The one thing that is clear on this site is that everyone has different experiences. I only saw my doc today.. after years of the nurse being dismissive of symptoms.. my doc recognised it as part of my diabetes... he went through all tests etc & saw the pattern, as he saw me before & just after I was diagnosed. The blame game is damaging & unhelpful. Why doubt someone.. it's awful not being believed, especially when it is a tough time getting through it.

Reactions: Prem51