• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love her to support lunch breaks as law. That alone would help hundreds of diabetics. Shift work is common with little or bad lunch breaks!

This is already legislated for.

Rest breaks at work
Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.

The break doesn’t have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rest breaks at work
Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.

Whilst clearly laws should be promulgated to ensure that there are basic rights in place, that does not deal with the way individuals themselves react to their own jobs and life.

I know that for me, the work came first - no-one made me do that but myself - At the time I had no appreciation for how much I was damaging my own health . That was not because I wasn't bright it was because I did not put that at the top of my priority list when I should have done. People tried to tell me to do so, I didn't listen - I wasn't being deliberately difficult - it just didn't seem as important as it was.

No matter what we tell out young, when you are young you feel invincible - making a switch to realising that we are not - is hard.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst if true I sympathize with Diane Abbot for having T2, but having used the excuse of being sick to avoid the Brexit vote and now after making some political gaffes is "sick" again I am very sceptical. Having type 2 doesn't stop her being an idiot. I mean what intelligent person would link their support of the IRA to having a change of hair style??????????
Think you need to explain that one.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Corbyn actually denounced both loyalist and IRA but was misquoted for whatever reason suited the editors of certain papers. Has the Diane Abbot story been factchecked or is this yet another example of parotting comic book parody? Now the DUP and their magic money tree that has apparently already paid out £5million is nothing to do with the troubles is it? Thought not. How about we all talk about Diabetes and you keep the politics for facebook and your political websites?
And of course the tabloids are full of stories about Govt talks with so-called 'Loyalist' terrorist aren't they?

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst if true I sympathize with Diane Abbot for having T2, but having used the excuse of being sick to avoid the Brexit vote and now after making some political gaffes is "sick" again I am very sceptical. Having type 2 doesn't stop her being an idiot. I mean what intelligent person would link their support of the IRA to having a change of hair style??????????
You are Mogadon Michael and I claim my £5!
By the way, the election is over - the People lost as usual.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The law is not enforced in many establishments. You are made to feel a moaner or that your diabetes is causing a fuss by insisting on your legal requirement.
Many are afraid to tell outsiders what goes on incase of being ostracized or excluded from promotion.
I've seen it with my own eyes, many many times.
Uk has a bad culture of trying to embarise people into later breaks or mis them so they can go home earlier in busy periods. Many companies are with one employee reliable so breaks are very much made to be inconvenient. Less staff saves money, irrespective of their legal right to a break. Many many jobs have to continue irrespective of employee needing a break to sort out a impeeding hypo etc. or a mental health break.
There are some very abusive people who have to be dealt with by an employee. In many many jobs!

S

serenity648

The law is not enforced in many establishments. You are made to feel a moaner or that your diabetes is causing a fuss by insisting on your legal requirement.
Many are afraid to tell outsiders what goes on incase of being ostracized or excluded from promotion.

Uk has a bad culture of trying to embarise people into later breaks or mis them so they can go home earlier in busy periods. Many companies are with one employee reliable so breaks are very much made to be inconvenient. Less staff saves money, irrespective of their legal right to a break. Many many jobs have to continue irrespective of employee needing a break to sort out a impeeding hypo etc. or a mental health break.
There are some very abusive people who have to be dealt with by an employee. In many many jobs!
TOTALLY AGREE. I see and hear of it here where I live, where jobs are scarce and people get treated illegally and are too afraid of losing their jobs to complain. Reality is often much harsher than the strength of the laws.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
So what pressure has been put on Diane Abbott? Just because she is an MP doesn't change anything. She still has a boss to keep happy.
A conservative MP wouldnt declare diabetes to even their partner. It can be made to be embarissing to be type2.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TOTALLY AGREE. I see and hear of it here where I live, where jobs are scarce and people get treated illegally and are too afraid of losing their jobs to complain. Reality is often much harsher than the strength of the laws.
It's often the case that people feel obliged to work through lunch breaks and don't even take all their annual holidays.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've seen plenty to open anyone's eyes!
Diabetes can be a dirty word. Hopefully more people like Diane Abbott will come out of the closet!

Reactions: dbr10

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Leaving the politics to one side, I don't think it's a very helpful thing to say with regards to diabetes awareness- it basically suggests diabetics lose the ability to handle figures or appear well-briefed when they're hungry- not a message I want out there.

Perhaps Theresa May can now blame her awkward moments on her T1?
But it's true. Fix the low BG and the problem goes away. Better to deal with it than deny it.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit harsh and uncalled for.

Diabetes aside I just don't think she was cut-out to be a Shadow Home Secretary, she clearly hadn't done her homework before some of those interviews and should have been better prepared, a lesson for her but I'm sure we won't see the last of her in some kind of Cabinet role (either now or in the future).
How do you know she wasn't prepared?

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Rest breaks at work

That's grand but the issue is that people may not take them. And if not, the employer is in the clear.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The issue is that the employee has rights. But if they choose not to use them, the employer is absolved of responsibility. And typically they do, because of the consequences for their careers.

For these rights to be meaningful, the employer would have to be responsible for failures, like H&S.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I picked up this thread because Henry Mance, the Financial Times' Political Correspondent, discussing the aggressive level of political debate, opined that: 'Diane Abbott inspires little sympathy... She would have inspired more critics had she simply admitted her failure to prepare'.

He hasn't investigated; it's his opinion on the back of a train wreck interview that Diane Abbott is making excuses for incompetence.

I've also fluffed significant exams due to being low, unable to think straight, reason or write without second chances so I'm sympathetic to Diane Abbott's experience.

Many minority communities have had to fight for recognition, equal rights and respect.

Diabetics have not. Perhaps now's the time.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I picked up this thread because Henry Mance, the Financial Times' Political Correspondent, discussing the aggressive level of political debate, opined that: 'Diane Abbott inspires little sympathy... She would have inspired more critics had she simply admitted her failure to prepare'.

He hasn't investigated; it's his opinion on the back of a train wreck interview that Diane Abbott is making excuses for incompetence.

I've also fluffed significant exams due to being low, unable to think straight, reason or write without second chances so I'm sympathetic to Diane Abbott's experience.

Many minority communities have had to fight for recognition, equal rights and respect.

Diabetics have not. Perhaps now's the time.

I doubt it'll get anywhere, have you read this thread?
Even posters on here openly state she's fine, and diabetes is an excuse.
What chance has our community got, if those within it criticise her?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt it'll get anywhere, have you read this thread?
Even posters on here openly state she's fine, and diabetes is an excuse.
What chance has our community got, if those within it criticise her?
We should give her the benefit of the doubt. It is what we sould expect for ourselves.