1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diane Abbott T2

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by midnightrider, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

This is already legislated for.

Rest breaks at work
    Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.

The break doesn’t have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whilst clearly laws should be promulgated to ensure that there are basic rights in place, that does not deal with the way individuals themselves react to their own jobs and life.

I know that for me, the work came first - no-one made me do that but myself - At the time I had no appreciation for how much I was damaging my own health . That was not because I wasn't bright it was because I did not put that at the top of my priority list when I should have done. People tried to tell me to do so, I didn't listen - I wasn't being deliberately difficult - it just didn't seem as important as it was.

No matter what we tell out young, when you are young you feel invincible - making a switch to realising that we are not - is hard.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Think you need to explain that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dbr10

And of course the tabloids are full of stories about Govt talks with so-called 'Loyalist' terrorist aren't they?

• Like Like x 1
  5. dbr10

You are Mogadon Michael and I claim my £5!
    By the way, the election is over - the People lost as usual.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

The law is not enforced in many establishments. You are made to feel a moaner or that your diabetes is causing a fuss by insisting on your legal requirement.
    Many are afraid to tell outsiders what goes on incase of being ostracized or excluded from promotion.
    I've seen it with my own eyes, many many times.
    Uk has a bad culture of trying to embarise people into later breaks or mis them so they can go home earlier in busy periods. Many companies are with one employee reliable so breaks are very much made to be inconvenient. Less staff saves money, irrespective of their legal right to a break. Many many jobs have to continue irrespective of employee needing a break to sort out a impeeding hypo etc. or a mental health break.
    There are some very abusive people who have to be dealt with by an employee. In many many jobs!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. serenity648

serenity648 · Guest

TOTALLY AGREE. I see and hear of it here where I live, where jobs are scarce and people get treated illegally and are too afraid of losing their jobs to complain. Reality is often much harsher than the strength of the laws.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

So what pressure has been put on Diane Abbott? Just because she is an MP doesn't change anything. She still has a boss to keep happy.
    A conservative MP wouldnt declare diabetes to even their partner. It can be made to be embarissing to be type2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dbr10

It's often the case that people feel obliged to work through lunch breaks and don't even take all their annual holidays.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

A very sweeping statement!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I've seen plenty to open anyone's eyes!
    Diabetes can be a dirty word. Hopefully more people like Diane Abbott will come out of the closet!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. jrussell88

jrussell88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But it's true. Fix the low BG and the problem goes away. Better to deal with it than deny it.

13. jrussell88

How do you know she wasn't prepared?

14. jrussell88

So would I - have you got one?

15. jrussell88

Lots of those sorts of legal requirements were more honoured in the breach than the observance at all my employers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jrussell88

That's grand but the issue is that people may not take them. And if not, the employer is in the clear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jrussell88

The issue is that the employee has rights. But if they choose not to use them, the employer is absolved of responsibility. And typically they do, because of the consequences for their careers.

For these rights to be meaningful, the employer would have to be responsible for failures, like H&S.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jrussell88

I picked up this thread because Henry Mance, the Financial Times' Political Correspondent, discussing the aggressive level of political debate, opined that: 'Diane Abbott inspires little sympathy... She would have inspired more critics had she simply admitted her failure to prepare'.

He hasn't investigated; it's his opinion on the back of a train wreck interview that Diane Abbott is making excuses for incompetence.

I've also fluffed significant exams due to being low, unable to think straight, reason or write without second chances so I'm sympathetic to Diane Abbott's experience.

Many minority communities have had to fight for recognition, equal rights and respect.

Diabetics have not. Perhaps now's the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I doubt it'll get anywhere, have you read this thread?
    Even posters on here openly state she's fine, and diabetes is an excuse.
    What chance has our community got, if those within it criticise her?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dbr10

We should give her the benefit of the doubt. It is what we sould expect for ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook