Diane Abbott T2

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
We should give her the benefit of the doubt. It is what we sould expect for ourselves.
100% agree, that's why it is so sad to see comments like this on here.
"she is using it as an excuse for her lacklustre performance."

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there some comments on this thread that are in very bad taste. The thread was supposed to be about Dianne Abbots diabetes not an excuse to **** her off in her political life or give our own views on politics. I do not think she was making excuses for what has been called here her "lack lustre" performance but she was probably feeling pretty ill at the time because for a while she had lost control of her diabetes

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I see Diane Abbot is now feeling better and back in her old job. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...eturns-to-shadow-cabinet-peston-a7795636.html It is a shame about the people who want to pillory someone for being ill. I as a diet controlled T2D fully sympathise with how she must have felt. How about we all have a go at something positive for everyone? Improving life for people with diabetes by discussing ways of targetting the people whose policies are increasing diabetes internationally. http://www.euronews.com/2017/06/16/beware-the-food-barons to find the reference to diabetes press ctrl F and put the word diabetes in the find box. Is the writer right to point the finger at companies going about their lawful business of increasing profits and shareholder value?

Reactions: Prem51
S

Sean01

So would I - have you got one?

A degree - yes, a science degree from University of London not quite Cambridge, but not bad along with on going professional qualifications but this line of questioning would imply that there is a link between IQ, intellect and idiocy. Trust me there isn't.

I benefited from an excellent education, but trust me on this one - I'm still capable of being an idiot.

B

badcat

Well, she's living with it every day, many on here think that makes her an expert, and I reckon she knows her own condition better than those of us who know nothing at all about her.
I don't know what she eats now, but there were references to glucose tablets which I assume also means insulin which seems quite unusual for a T2 diabetic diagnosed only two years ago.

Something doesn't seem to quite stack up - the comment on the illness and letting blood sugar get out of control through fasting - for one - fasting goes the other way. So that sounds like a person who has been recommended to eat carbs put on an insulin regime to do so, then having failed to eat carbs by inadvertent fasting whilst busy, suffered incidents of hypoglcaemia having not taken enough glucose tablets to offset the insulin.

My understanding was that for most of us insulin is much more likely to be later in the process and certainly not before diet and metformin have failed which I would expect takes a while to find out ? ?

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me to find she is getting " special" i.e. accelerated treatment because of her position - if so its just as likely to be making things worse rather than better - I'm no expert but sometimes being treated as special can have its downsides!

I just hope she gets the advice she needs to control it properly.

High profile sufferers have so much potential to pave the way for treatment regimes to change compared to normal mortals because they have a audience.

Cherry AA
I think you are making a couple of big, and incorrect, assumptions because you know nothing about her individual condition / treatment
1) insulin is the only thing that causes hypos - wrong
2) insulin is only given late on in the process - wrong
I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and immediately put on insulin which it took several months to get off ( the fact that the doctor didnt believe my dob and was convinced i was 10 years younger than my age didnt help, although my BG reading were v v high at 28)
After the period on insulin i was put on gliclizide and have been on it ever since. In the first year or so I experienced hypos with readings as low as 1.8 mmol for which I had to keep a supply of glucose tablets and to have periodic intravenous glucose

Last edited by a moderator:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are making a couple of big, and incorrect, assumptions because you know nothing about her individual condition / treatment
1) insulin is the only thing that causes hypos - wrong
2) insulin is only given late on in the process - wrong
I was diagnosed over 20 years ago and immediately put on insulin which it took several months to get off ( the fact that the doctor didnt believe my dob and was convinced i was 10 years younger than my age didnt help)
After the period on insulin i was put on gliclizide and have been on it ever since. In the first year or so I experienced hypos with readings as low as 1.8 mmol for which I had to keep a supply of glucose tablets and to have periodic intravenous glucose

Ultimately you are right , I know ****** all about her, just that she seems to be having some troubles and if any thing said re diet is helpful to her then good.

You seem to be saying that not only did you get insulin very quickly - which you later didn't need - ( was that because of dietary changes or something else ?) , but also that the drugs you got thereafter also caused hypos in the immediate aftermath of those insulin injections. You have also said nothing about your own dietary regime .

My own doctor recommended I should go on insulin in August 2015 because of my very high blood sugar readings. He gave that advice without even suggesting I should have my insulin levels tested and at the time I knew nothing about the fact that it even needed to be.

I refused and went low carb instead - because I am an action oriented research type individual who happened to come across a single piece of medical research that spoke to me and my situation. It would have been all too easy to listen to the doctor and go with his recommendation. Had I done so then ALL of my subsequent research would have been in the context of already needing the drugs and being afraid to stop taking them.

Recent blood tests show that my own underlying insulin whilst now in the "normal range " is still too high not too low. As it happens I took a bit of a break from both dieting and low carbing this week and whilst I have put a couple of kilos on - at no point has my blood sugar increased beyond 7.8 but then I have been fat adapted for a few months now and having eaten far too many carbohydrates this week, I still remain in ketosis - which is itself quite remarkable.

There are a lot of people here, who appear to have at least got under more control without drugs via some variation of diet - be that low carb, fasting or very low calorie- whichever suits the individual best. In those instances we do not appear to report the hypo's that seem to be in the short term as dangerous as hyper is in the long term.

All too often the first treatment given is drugs - of whatever variety with consequent problems re digestion and/or severely fluctuating glucose levels.

I fail to see how anyone can know the extent to which they were actually necessary if they are actually started on the day of diagnosis as opposed to having at least tried to deal with it without drugs first unless of course the situation is already critical.

Of course for some of us, the answer will be that yes drugs are necessary - but it is better to know that that is because the various natural options are failing for medical reasons as opposed to from a lack of knowledge on the part of the sufferer and possibly inadequate advice from the practitioner.

All drugs have side effects no matter how good they are at dealing with something.

Left to my own doctor I too would have been dealing with hypo's , glucose tablets, and some combination of various drugs to help me reduce blood sugars. I would have had no idea that reducing carbs to 30g per day would have exactly the same effect for me personally.

People talk about how bariatric surgery can be such an effective tool, and that blood sugar comes down con-commitant with the surgery - it also happens to follow a period of fasting in preparation for the surgery followed by a lifetime of severely restricted food both things we receive advice about here.

Our current treatment protocols often assume that individuals simply cannot adapt their lifestyles to suit their situation. That may well be true for some for any number of very valid reasons - but surely everyone should at least be given the benefit of the doubt on day one?

Maybe drugs will be necessary eventually for me too but so far it has not been and I have had neither hypers nor hypos in the last few months - hence wanting to pass that info on. Yes I am one of life's busybodies - but only ever in the hope that it will help someone.

To my mind there are two fundamental issues at interplay here
1) Personal Income is pretty much about DOING something for most of us no matter what job we do. DOING something makes all of us feel useful ( me included) .
2) All of us would like to see a quick resolution to our problem ( me included)

As such any advice that involves STOPPING DOING something and seeing how our body responds over the ensuing three months in preference to starting to DO something else TODAY - is likely to be the second order of priority for all parties - patient and adviser alike.

B

badcat

when i was first diagnosed i was in hospital with a raging infection related to a gp who had f***cked up bigtime when I went with an infected cut on my foot ( he wouldnt test me for diabetes although I asked several times, then told me my foot going black was just bruising and a "really good sign" - no it was gangrene and I nearly lost my leg becauseof it - had to spend over 4 months in hospital)
Initially the traditional diabetic diet of low fat, unrefined carbs / moderate carb reduction combined with extensive testing of what effect individual foods had on BG level followed by adjustments to diet based on the results worked ok for 10 - 12 years to the extent where a consultant said " diabetes always gets worse but yours is getting better ?????) My regime did eventually begin to fail at which point there was talk about changing meds but I wasnt keen on that as the (rare) side effects listed on the info sheet for the suggested med included pancreatitis / pancreatic cancer so I initially went low carb then ketogenic to control BG readings. I have tried no meds but that doesnt keep things within target - a low dose of medication and aggressive dietry changes do. I currently follow ketogenic diet with 24 /18 / 32 hr fasts thrown in for good measure, I still have occasional hypos but rarely anything below 3 and some hypers but rarely above 10.
I am still on the same dose of gliclazide as I was 20 years ago leading them now to question whether I have Type 2 or monogenic diabetes ( I was diagosed age 39 and told id been diabetic for at least 15-20 years prior to diagnosis)

Last edited by a moderator:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when i was first diagnosed i was in hospital with a raging infection related to a gp who had f***cked up bigtime when I went with an infected cut on my foot ( he wouldnt test me for diabetes although I asked several times, then told me my foot going black was just bruising and a "really good sign" - no it was gangrene and I nearly lost my leg becauseof it - had to spend over 4 months in hospital)
Initially the traditional diabetic diet of low fat, unrefined carbs / moderate carb reduction combined with extensive testing of what effect individual foods had on BG level followed by adjustments to diet based on the results worked ok for 10 - 12 years to the extent where a consultant said " diabetes always gets worse but yours is getting better ?????) My regime did eventually begin to fail at which point there was talk about changing meds but I wasnt keen on that as the (rare) side effects listed on the info sheet for the suggested med included pancreatitis / pancreatic cancer so I initially went low carb then ketogenic to control BG readings. I have tried no meds but that doesnt keep things within target - a low dose of medication and aggressive dietry changes do. I currently follow ketogenic diet with 24 /18 / 32 hr fasts thrown in for good measure, I still have occasional hypos but rarely anything below 3 and some hypers but rarely above 10.
I am still on the same dose of gliclazide as I was 20 years ago leading them now to question whether I have Type 2 or monogenic diabetes ( I was diagosed age 39 and told id been diabetic for at least 15-20 years prior to diagnosis)

Thanks for the info Badcat.

Knowing what you now know, do you wish someone had suggested aggressive diet changes day one LCHF, fasting or VLCD instead of going through the intervening stages first? - it seems to me that that is the " interfering " point.

So many doctors approach this from a softly softly angle - with a bit of improvement to diet and a bit of medication followed by more and more aggressive medication regimes. Some to tackle it more aggressively up front, with heavier medication and more volatility . The occasional few with LCHF, Fasting or VLCD which seems to provide the most benefit and the least drugs.

Of course no-one other than Diane can know what she actually knows about all this, but I don't think anything I've said is actually not compatible with your own experience.
I'm glad you have your own issues under good control.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Diane made a couple of positive points on BBC1 this morning encouraging non-diabetics to test for Type 2 and stating that Type 2 is manageable. She thanked people for the thousands of messages of support.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diane made a couple of positive points on BBC1 this morning encouraging non-diabetics to test for Type 2 and stating that Type 2 is manageable. She thanked people for the thousands of messages of support.

I saw that. Diane has a real opportunity to make a difference if diet changes make a big difference to her. - whatever diet she chooses to try.

Scardoc

I doubt it'll get anywhere, have you read this thread?
Even posters on here openly state she's fine, and diabetes is an excuse.
What chance has our community got, if those within it criticise her?

Sometimes criticism is not a bad thing..............I personally believe that the T2 is being used as an excuse for poor preparation. The first time, ok, yeah we all get it wrong. But you learn from that and in the middle of an election campaign you **** well make sure you learn from it and don't let it happen again! The interview on Sky regarding the anti-terrorism report was embarrassing. Just admit you haven't read it! I've had hypos where I start to talk rubbish but that wasn't the case in that interview. That was a politician caught out and unwilling to admit it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thinking about guests on TV shows and getting ready for the show would involve, make up, meet and greet, a quick chat with the presenter's, the green room, cup of tea or a cold drink. So, surely in the time that elapsed from her arriving and for her to go on air, she would of had ample time to check her diabetes BS, ( also when she awoke that morning) unless she doesn't have a meter, which I would imaging she does have ?

S

serenity648

If Dianne Abbot has been given the standard NHs dietary advice, then she isnt going to be able to fully control her diabetes to the best of her ability, regardless of how much monitoring she does.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If Dianne Abbot has been given the standard NHs dietary advice, then she isnt going to be able to fully control her diabetes to the best of her ability, regardless of how much monitoring she does.

First thing I would do would be to google everything I could about type 2 diabetes and question things, that way, get lots of advice and then adapt. So many helpful links and forums like this one.

S

serenity648

I have lost count of the many people posting on here, including myself, who, even after a long time of research and informing themselves and questioning, have only stumbled on this forum and similar info by accident.

Lets not blame the ones like me, who didnt find the info easily, even after much effort.

Reactions: lovinglife
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just found at least 8 links, I wish the internet was around when I was diagnosed , it would of been a godsend :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this site almost immediately, within a day or two of diagnosis. It wasn't rocket science. Google brought it up.
The problem some folk may have is they find the other site first, (the .org one), and then they could be in real trouble.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found this site quite quickly after diagnosis too. I looked through the recent posts but non of them applied to me, so I thought the forum wasn't for me and so it was a few months later that I bothered to look again and finally joined up.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I've been away and may have missed a post mentioning this, but I wonder if she is taking statins? Even after only a few tablets, memory can be affected very badly. Someone I knew lost her car and quite simply couldn't function within a week of starting them. She stopped taking them and recovered quickly.

Reactions: zand and Brunneria