Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm giving Zero Carb a go - has anyone else tried it? I am experimenting with it as my BG has gone up a bit recently due to arthritis pain.

This is day 3 and so far it has been pretty easy - my BG dropped considerably the first two days but has bounced back up a bit today.

I know there are many versions of Zero Carb out there but mine is very basic - eat meat, fish, some cheese, eggs - drink water or black coffee (double cream optional). Basically eat or drink anything that hasn't got any carbs or artificial sweeteners. I have promised myself one small portion of my lovingly home grown above ground veg with my Sunday dinner each week.

Things I am not doing - I am not eating just one type of meat (I like variety) and I am not eating any raw meat

I am taking a daily multi vit tablet and magnesium (for the leg cramps which I got when I started low carb.

I would love to know if you have tried it and didn't get on with it - or if you're living a happy life on ZC.

Reactions: Dillinger

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not zero carbs but pretty darn close. Lately, I have no idea why, I'm not in the mood for veggies. I still chomp on one or two raw asparagus spears throughout the day. I do have to say my tummy loves it.
I do still eat one avocado a day and a few macadamia nuts. That's about it for carbs. Oops, wine.
I need to keep saturated fats low so there's my avocado. I have about an ounce of cheese with a small pat of butter melted together with my wine. And I just recently switched from vodka to wine and of course see a little higher bs. Nothing a little shot of insulin can't fix.

I think on zero carbs I would definitely need to watch my protein portions even more than I do now. I convert protein to bs just as fast as carbs. So for me that would mean replacing all carbs Cal's with fat but wouldn't be hard as I'm vlc to begin with. I've inadvertently gone lower carb with the adversion to veggies lately so other than avocado and wine I'm very close to no carb and I feel great. My stomach is much happier without all the veggies. I'm sure I'll go back but for now I'm just listening to my body.

With the slight higher rise your having maybe look at how much protein you're eating both at one time and by the end of the day. I use the .8g per kg LEAN body mass which gives me about 4-5 oz a day. I split that through the day. Any more than that's a few days later I start seeing higher readings.

Just something to consider.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it for a month in February. Had no problems with it although interestingly my bloods didn't really go anywhere outside the normal ranges. I find fasting far more helpful in lowering blood sugars. I was trying to break though a weight loss plateau but didn't loose much weight doing it either although have managed to drop a few pounds since. Like you I did cream in coffee and some lactofree milk in my tea. Was averaging about 14g of carbs a day mainly from cream and milk.

Reactions: Liza20 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm interested in how it completely kills my appetite. Even when I've been VLC I've still been hungry but somehow (I really don't understand why) my appetite has completely gone. Even stranger - I sit down to a meal not hungry then eat the lot.

Thanks for the replies @bulkbiker and @Kristin251 - its nice to know I'm not the only person prepared to do this.

I did once have a two week spell of zero carb but in a less educated way - it was to get my BG down from stupidly high numbers and it worked - and then I stopped and I can't remember why.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in how it completely kills my appetite. Even when I've been VLC I've still been hungry but somehow (I really don't understand why) my appetite has completely gone. Even stranger - I sit down to a meal not hungry then eat the lot.

Thanks for the replies @bulkbiker and @Kristin251 - its nice to know I'm not the only person prepared to do this.

I did once have a two week spell of zero carb but in a less educated way - it was to get my BG down from stupidly high numbers and it worked - and then I stopped and I can't remember why.
Well thank you too!! You just made me realize how much even a few Brussels sprouts can induce hunger! I was just telling my hubby how I'm just not really hungry for anything anymore. Enjoying just a nibble here and there. Cheese avocado and Macs. I do enjoy a small amount of protein with lush and dinner and need it so I don't hypo. A few veggies late in the day or with a meal dont seem to be as bad as before 5:00.
I really enjoy not being hungry as I was always hungry for 50 years before avocado. Even excess protein made me hungry. Though I love veggies I love fat.
As I said earlier I inadvertently did this by just the simple aversion to veggies recently but you brought to my attention it did completely kill my appetite. I don't need to lose weight so we shall see where this goes but my stomach is much happier. I'll save my carbs for grapes ( wine ). I think we process carbs differently late in the day too.
Something to find out....

Reactions: Serena51 and Chook

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm giving Zero Carb a go - has anyone else tried it? I am experimenting with it as my BG has gone up a bit recently due to arthritis pain.

This is day 3 and so far it has been pretty easy - my BG dropped considerably the first two days but has bounced back up a bit today.

I know there are many versions of Zero Carb out there but mine is very basic - eat meat, fish, some cheese, eggs - drink water or black coffee (double cream optional). Basically eat or drink anything that hasn't got any carbs or artificial sweeteners. I have promised myself one small portion of my lovingly home grown above ground veg with my Sunday dinner each week.

Things I am not doing - I am not eating just one type of meat (I like variety) and I am not eating any raw meat

I am taking a daily multi vit tablet and magnesium (for the leg cramps which I got when I started low carb.

I would love to know if you have tried it and didn't get on with it - or if you're living a happy life on ZC.

Cheese has one or two percent carbs, depending which you are eating.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chook, unless I am mistaken, @NoCrbs4Me routinely operated using your new found way of eating.

Reactions: Chook

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese has one or two percent carbs, depending which you are eating.
What cheese are you eating.. cheddar is 0.1g per 100g brie 0.4g per 100g so soft or hard.. low carb.. "zero carb" usually refers to no plant food ... not absolutely no carbs what so ever.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"operated"?
I miss a weekend, what happened?

Nothing missed Douglas. I doubt NoCrbs4me will have changed his food regime, just an imperfect posting on my part.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What cheese are you eating.. cheddar is 0.1g per 100g brie 0.4g per 100g so soft or hard.. low carb.. "zero carb" usually refers to no plant food ... not absolutely no carbs what so ever.

I rarely eat it, I do low saturated fat.
As I said, "depending which you are eating"
Stress on "you"

To me zero carb means zero carbs, to you it means no veg.
I guess its like fasting, when some can eat more calories then I do in a normal day when some mean fat fasting.
We're all different, even to language.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To me zero carb means zero carbs, to you it means no veg.

Well no not really.. to those people eating a zero carb way it means no plant food and that is the context of this thread.

Your definition may be different but it's not what this thread is about.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well no not really.. to those people eating a zero carb way it means no plant food and that is the context of this thread.

Your definition may be different but it's not what this thread is about.

Like I said, language seems to be flexible.
But, your definition seems to suit you, so as long as you're happy, it's good.

Zero carb, eat meat, drink water.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zero carb, eat meat, drink water.
I think for @NoCrbs4Me it's meat + eggs, which I imagine is probably also as close to no carbs as you can get without cutting out food altogether. And @Chook, hopefully he'll tell you himself that he's been doing it happily for quite a while now.

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Several posts in this thread have been deleted because they were off topic and derailing the thread.

Please can everyone stay on topic to avoid further deletions.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria Yes, Miss :(

As for cheese, I have about a half inch cube of Stilton or Gorgonzola crumbled then melted on steaks or burgers. I'm not going to fret about miniscule amounts of carbs - my plan is to eat as near to Zero Carb as is sustainable for me. So I will be adding small amounts of spices or other flavour adding things so I enjoy a certain amount of variety in my food.

So far, so enjoyable. Still no feelings of hunger at all (which is quite strange for me) - and selecting food from such a narrow range of foods certainly makes grocery shopping easy.

BG is just the same as it was on VLC.

Reactions: bkr and Liza20

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think for @NoCrbs4Me it's meat + eggs, which I imagine is probably also as close to no carbs as you can get without cutting out food altogether. And @Chook, hopefully he'll tell you himself that he's been doing it happily for quite a while now.

Robbity

Yes, I've read that he's been doing it for a couple of years. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm following you with interest @Chook as I'm sure others are.
I'm not here to judge or comment on the small amount of carbs a small piece of cheese has or the chopped basil you might enjoy on something but wondering much more so what amount of protein you're allowing yourseldnandnif this could possibly be reflected in your bs ? Or even saturated fat? I know they both effect my bs as much as carbs so I'm just curious.

I realize your going to give the zero carb thing a 'go' for awhile but if you find your bs isn't doing what you wish maybe you could try the addition of avocado ( you KNOW I had to say that haha) for one of your meals to reduce protein or sat fat. It does have a few carbs but all that fat and fiber blended together is more satisfying to me satiety wise than a steak or burger so you would still potentially get the no hunger benefit. I enjoy mine in the morning most as it staves off the hunger and fuels me in the morning without kick starting all the hunger hormones.

I'm not trying to steer you anywhere but rather see if the protein and saturated fat are stalling your bs decline.

Reactions: Liza20

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm following you with interest @Chook as I'm sure others are.
I'm not here to judge or comment on the small amount of carbs a small piece of cheese has or the chopped basil you might enjoy on something but wondering much more so what amount of protein you're allowing yourseldnandnif this could possibly be reflected in your bs ? Or even saturated fat? I know they both effect my bs as much as carbs so I'm just curious.

I realize your going to give the zero carb thing a 'go' for awhile but if you find your bs isn't doing what you wish maybe you could try the addition of avocado ( you KNOW I had to say that haha) for one of your meals to reduce protein or sat fat. It does have a few carbs but all that fat and fiber blended together is more satisfying to me satiety wise than a steak or burger so you would still potentially get the no hunger benefit. I enjoy mine in the morning most as it staves off the hunger and fuels me in the morning without kick starting all the hunger hormones.

I'm not trying to steer you anywhere but rather see if the protein and saturated fat are stalling your bs decline.
@Kristin251

Hi Kristin :)

Breakfast (so far) has been two eggs and three rashers bacon or a 4 ounce salmon fillet.
Lunch has been one or two chicken thighs and
Dinner is about 8 ounces of steak or home made burgers (lamb tonight!)

All of which doesn't really add up to much in volume but is very satisfying - I'm happy to continue on ZC as long as I continue to feel well - I appreciate my arthritis and other ailments aren't going to go away though.

I do love avocado and I did have a couple in the fridge just in case I needed them - but Mr Chook found them and took them to work with him as a 'show and tell' for a colleague of his whose never heard of avocado. :(

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woops - forgot - I made myself some beef bone broth which is absolutely gorgeous! I'm having a cup of that ever evening.