Need help figuring OTGG 20y.o

vontokkerths

Type of diabetes
Researcher
I had a low blood sugar episode, nothing extreme but GP said I should do OGTT I used to be extremely active in the gym and my diet was balanced as well, I do suffer from extreme anxiety disorder which feels exactly as a low blood sugar episode, who knows how many of them I had and I confused them with just good ol anxiety. So I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what my test represents these are my numbers:

Fasting: 94

100g Glucola

1hr: 210
2hr: 180
2hr 30min: 153
3hr: 120
But then after driving to eat something my sugar kept dropping and I took it with my meter which was doing the same results as the lab and the meter said 77 then I took a sip of a juice till my food was ready and it went down to 73 and then to 90 after 10 minutes then after my not at all carb heavy it was at 76 after an hour which was enough to make me think it's dropping again. How can I interpret this? Any help would be appreciated since this new discovery is making my day an anxious roller coaster.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What is your results now?
Is it below 60?

If it is above 65, that is in normal range for non diabetics.

Those figures you gave are normal if you have not got diabetes or a form of hypoglycaemia.

Blood glucose levels rise after eating, how quickly depends on what you eat and the amount, and how quickly your digestive system works to first, convert it to glucose and the initial insulin response.

vontokkerths

Type of diabetes
Researcher
What is your results now?
Is it below 60?

If it is above 65, that is in normal range for non diabetics.

Those figures you gave are normal if you have not got diabetes or a form of hypoglycaemia.

Blood glucose levels rise after eating, how quickly depends on what you eat and the amount, and how quickly your digestive system works to first, convert it to glucose and the initial insulin response.
I see, the lowest it got was 70 but after that I ate something because I was clocking in around 4 hours of not eating anything but the 100g of glucola, are those numbers acceptable? The technician told me the numbers look like diabetes type 2 and that scares me a bit. Thanks for the reply!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see, the lowest it got was 70 but after that I ate something because I was clocking in around 4 hours of not eating anything but the 100g of glucola, are those numbers acceptable? The technician told me the numbers look like diabetes type 2 and that scares me a bit. Thanks for the reply!

70 is a normal blood sugar.

Here's some information about the OGTT and here's a converter as this is a UK site using UK measurements:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

Reactions: vontokkerths

vontokkerths

Type of diabetes
Researcher
So my numbers of the ogtt don't represent impairment glucose tolerance? The technician kinda scared me a bit since she said they looked awful and I should be careful from now on.

Thanks all for the replies!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So my numbers of the ogtt don't represent impairment glucose tolerance? The technician kinda scared me a bit since she said they looked awful and I should be careful from now on.

What should the OGTT results be?
People without diabetes
  • Fasting value (before test): under 6 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L
People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
  • Fasting value (before test): 6.0 to 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: 7.9 to 11.0 mmol/L
Diabetic levels
  • Fasting value (before test): over 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: over 11.0 mmol/L

Use this converter for your own measurement units. You could have impaired glucose tolerance (pre-diabetes) but you are not diabetic. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks all for the replies!

Speak to your doctor and get the results explained properly :)

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
100g Glucola

1hr: 210
2hr: 180
2hr 30min: 153
3hr: 120

You can see my OGTT results in my signature. Where are you based? In the UK we use 75g of glucose. Multiply by 18 to get your measurements.

Try not to worry. When will you see a doctor about your test results? Please let us know what the doctor says.

vontokkerths

Type of diabetes
Researcher
You can see my OGTT results in my signature. Where are you based? In the UK we use 75g of glucose. Multiply by 18 to get your measurements.

Try not to worry. When will you see a doctor about your test results? Please let us know what the doctor says.
I will see the doctor on Monday, I will post here what my doctor says. I'm from Puerto Rico. Thanks!