Zero Carb

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hands over eyes
:singing:La!:singing:La!:singing:La!:singing:La!:singing: La!
:stop: to the C Word
Can I just say I was in M&S last week with No 2 grandson who was singing we wish you a merry Christmas loudly. One of the assistants asked who was going to shut him up. Why he asks? It's not long to Christmas. Arrrggg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
One week in and I'm still happy with continuing Zero Carb.

My BG, after an initial big drop, bounced back up a bit. Yesterday's BG tests were 1.0 to 1.2 below what they were last Thursday (which was the last full day that I ate a very low carb menu). I'm happy being in the low to mid 5s - and I've had very little increases after food. I am still getting DP but it slowly goes down to about 5.2 before lunch and stays there.

Over the week I have lost 5.5lbs - and my tummy is a bit flatter which is a good sign that I've lost some visceral fat.

I am still occasionally missing veg but it's not a craving and is fading.

So far, so good. :)

Reactions: bkr and NoCrbs4Me

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meant to say, my blood pressure has gone down a bit - not a big enough drop to reduce my BP meds but maybe soon if it carries on falling. Fingers crossed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really impressed with how things are going for you @Chook

Thanks for the updates :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent report! Great motivators to continue as well!

I thought I'd miss veggies too but I don't have them growing like you do to taunt me. I have to say I could live on my proteins and avocado and be done. Oops, some cheese too! How much simpler could it be? And what a short grocery list. For me. I cooked up the last of the brussel sprouts and asparagus and handed over to the hubby. I have a booby trap set if he goes for my proteins lol. And of course kidding.

What is Mr Chook thinking? Drooling over your food?

Smoked trout from the farmers market and avocado lunch today. Yum.

Oh my, now that I think about it my fasting has been a bit higher this whole week. Low 100. Easy enough to get down but now I'm wondering if it's the lack of carbs!! I've heard fasting can be higher on lc but as long as the rest of the day is fine it's just another kind of phenomenon. All these diabetic phenomenons!!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You're very right about the short grocery list. I get my weekly food shop delivered and this week's arrived this morning - there was very little there - more or less just meat, fish, cheese and water.

I love smoked trout - I haven't seen it been sold over here for years. In the past we were talking about getting a smoker but we didn't know if we'd get the use out of it - but if I continue with ZC after my trial period it might be a good investment as it would provide a change of flavour (and I love smoked trout). ;)

Mr Chook is eating pretty much the same as me but with added (above ground) veg from the garden. He knows what I'm doing and why I'm doing it - but says he couldn't do it because he loves his veg and fruit so much - and thats fine with me.

I have got so many veggies ready to eat in the garden that I don't know which to chose for my once a week Sunday Dinner treat .... decisions... decisions...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo hoo!! Veg day.

I enjoyed my homegrown veg with Sunday Dinner - which was roast chicken, sausagemeat stuffing balls and the veg - I had some chard, runner beans and purple sprouting broccoli - about a cup and a half's worth all put together. The runner beans were gorgeous - first of the season. My BG was 4.9 before dinner and two hours later it was 4.7 so I think I was okay with the veg. No, no hunger associated with it but my tummy looks a bit bigger. Right now - three hours after dinner - I still feel full.

I am really pleased with my BG - my FBG was 5.2 and the rest of the day its been under 5. As I've said before, I have absolutely no appetite until I'm actually eating and then I'm eating until I'm satisfied but not feeling the need to finish everything on my plate.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent other than the bigger tummy. I was going to go get asparagus but I think I'll wait haha. I'm enjoying my flatter tummy.

Not sure how this may apply to you as you're not on insulin but I have cut the size and the saturated fat at my evening meal and my fasting is coming right down. It's odd to be eating more during the day and smaller at night as that's not how I'm used to. However I have found as well keeping saturated fat low at dinner is helping. Maybe get most of your saturated fats during the day and a lighter meal at night?

So I assume you're continuing??

So glad you enjoyed your veg and didn't mess with bs. The body likes a change once in awhile. It's just too bad we have to treat veg like its ice cream and a real treat haha.

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A great read, really impressed with your progress - nice work :)

Im on board with the bulletproof coffees, mct oil for clarity & eating only when hungry, through work hours pork scratchings are my saviour! :)

(Creams/fats/cheeses are definately for the win)

I wondered, could bone broth be a powerful addition to the arsenal I wonder, Ive read to make my own although need to source a straight forward recipe :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A great read, really impressed with your progress - nice work :)

Im on board with the bulletproof coffees, mct oil for clarity & eating only when hungry, through work hours pork scratchings are my saviour! :)

(Creams/fats/cheeses are definately for the win)

I wondered, could bone broth be a powerful addition to the arsenal I wonder, Ive read to make my own although need to source a straight forward recipe :)

I make my own bone broth - just put the bones (I use marrow bones) in a slow cooker oe big casserole put in some crushed garlic and a couple of tablespoons of wine vinegar and some salt - top up with boiling water and simmer gently for 14 - 16 hours. Let it cool a bit then strain through a sieve in to a container with a lid.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I do almost exactly the same as Chook.
A bag of bones from our butchers.
Tip into slow cooker
Cover with water
Add a splash (couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar)
And leave to slow cook from 24 hrs (chicken) to 72 hours (big beef bones).
Season.
Strain.
Refrigerate.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My recipe is even quicker.

Bones (frozen or thawed) + water to cover + Apple Cider Vinegar (and anything else you carer to add). Pressure cook for 2 hours. Leave on "Keep Warm" function overnight, as I usually do this in the evening, then switch off in the morning. Decant to a suitable container or containers. Refrigerate and/or freeze.

Repeat as necessary.

Bones from my local butcher. I'm a regular customer. = £0.00 per kg. Bargain!

p.s. for anyone who has never used an electric pressure cooker, they make so many things so much less faff, and so much more rapid.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The only problem I have with bone broth is something about it ( I don't remember ) converts to MSG. I do well with it for a few days when I'm sick but then it bucks back at me.

If interested google msg and bone broth.

Reactions: Chook

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow thank you all for your helpful replies!

That definately gives me something to go on, Ill speak to the butcher & get my hands on some bones. Unusual request he may think after only ever buying bacon, sausages & mince :)

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Chook .
Have been following your thread since it started with much interest and today I am going no carb for a week to start with, I am doing it as a sort of maintenance diet, to ensure bgs stay good but also to hopefully boost my weight loss which is kind of static at the moment.
Not sure how my food will look at the moment, but have plenty of meat, fish, eggs, pork scratchings and cheese in.
Look forward to reading more on this thread and who knows even contributing, am not as wordy as some, but keep trying.
Xx

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well!! As a follow on to yesterday's post about my reaction to having my Sunday veggie treat - I have to report higher fasting blood glucose this morning. Not really high but up from the lovely 5.2-5.3 of Friday, Saturday and Sunday up to 6.2 this morning - this figure is obviously fine but it is still a reaction and the only difference is the veg. AND the veggies have given me a bit of an upset tummy. :(

I've made some mini crustless smoked salmon quiches (made in a muffin pan) - they are just eggs, cream, dill and smoked salmon - each one has the equivalent to one egg each and I thought I'd have two for breakfast - but this morning, much as I enjoyed it, I could only eat one so I will have another for lunch if I feel hungry.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well!! As a follow on to yesterday's post about my reaction to having my Sunday veggie treat - I have to report higher fasting blood glucose this morning. Not really high but up from the lovely 5.2-5.3 of Friday, Saturday and Sunday up to 6.2 this morning - this figure is obviously fine but it is still a reaction and the only difference is the veg. AND the veggies have given me a bit of an upset tummy. :(

I've made some mini crustless smoked salmon quiches (made in a muffin pan) - they are just eggs, cream, dill and smoked salmon - each one has the equivalent to one egg each and I thought I'd have two for breakfast - but this morning, much as I enjoyed it, I could only eat one so I will have another for lunch if I feel hungry.
That sounds like a tasty variation on the breakfast muffins I used to make. I'm having an off day. Went to bed on 7.8 FBG 8.2! and pre breakfast was 8.1. I may have to zero carb too. No logical reason for this other than the achy arms and legs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry to hear the veggies didn't work as well as hoped. Are you going to keep having them Sunday nights?

I did end up buying asparagus but still turned off to veggies. I think I'm really enjoying a happy stomach. I did read that 1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda in water relieves bloating and eases digestion so I picked some up as mine expired years ago ( shows how long ago I stopped baking) and of course I didn't bloat last night so I can't report whether it's effective or not.

My fast has come way back around. Almost too much. My changes were a lighter lower saturated fat ( but still high fat) dinner, making my 5:00 cheese snack smaller, eating a little earlier and waiting four hours after eating to go to bed. I think the heavier dinners weren't completely digested by the time I went to bed.

Nice to find out these little idiosyncrasies of diabetes ....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry to hear the veggies didn't work as well as hoped. Are you going to keep having them Sunday nights?

I did end up buying asparagus but still turned off to veggies. I think I'm really enjoying a happy stomach. I did read that 1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda in water relieves bloating and eases digestion so I picked some up as mine expired years ago ( shows how long ago I stopped baking) and of course I didn't bloat last night so I can't report whether it's effective or not.

My fast has come way back around. Almost too much. My changes were a lighter lower saturated fat ( but still high fat) dinner, making my 5:00 cheese snack smaller, eating a little earlier and waiting four hours after eating to go to bed. I think the heavier dinners weren't completely digested by the time I went to bed.

Nice to find out these little idiosyncrasies of diabetes ....

Yes, I'll definitely continue with my Sunday vegetables - I enjoy them while I'm eating them and I have put a lot of effort in to growing the veg we love best. I'm sure my digestive system will get used to being assaulted by veg on Sundays. :)

I hate to say this, but I'm getting a bit bored with steak. I never thought I would say that.....

I am beginning to understand what various bloggers mean when they say that food stops being 'entertainment' and becomes just fuel - that is so right. I don't look forward to my meals like I used to - I think its the 'sameness' of it. Kristin, I know you love your avocados, but don't you get bored with having the same thing every day?

(Mr Chook does most of the low carb baking in this house. You should see the kitchen when he's finished - its like a war zone.)