I am a bit scared but will take the pills again if readings get too high
Has anyone else taken this path ? X

Reactions: grante

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I took Metformin and Atorvastatin for a few weeks, but life was not worth living. I stopped taking it just before last Christmas.
Why do you think that your BG readings will go high? Metformin isn't a glucose lowering drug.
My readings were not affected by stopping taking the pills, but I have stuck to low carb eating just by telling my self that if I didn't succeed the doctor would insist on my taking them again.

Reactions: barriebanana

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I stopped taking it after three weeks of being tied to the toilet.
Cut almost all carbs out of my diet and have never looked back. Lost a shedload of weight and now have "normal" non diabetic HbA1c.

hippocampus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes - I took Metformin and Atorvastatin for a few weeks, but life was not worth living. I stopped taking it just before last Christmas.
Why do you think that your BG readings will go high? Metformin isn't a glucose lowering drug.
My readings were not affected by stopping taking the pills, but I have stuck to low carb eating just by telling my self that if I didn't succeed the doctor would insist on my taking them again.
Interested to know why you don't think metformin is a glucose lowering drug, because I was led to believe it was. My BG is lower since taking it but then I also eat less carbs and exercise more

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So metformin does not lower bg or lowers it by a negligible level. So what is its purpose?
I have been of four of the beggars a day since diagnosis and while I have none of the tummy/toilet problems I'd rather not take them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The way Metformin acts is not understood - (really reassuring that is !!) but it reduces the ability of the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream.
It doesn't remove glucose from the blood but would be effective in lessening the dawn phenomenon.
I would add that by making those susceptible to it feel really dismal it means we don't feed ourselves properly and so we lose weight lack nourishment and have our hair fall out.

Reactions: suginami

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stuck it out for 11 weeks. I was told it would benefit me . All it did was make me feel constantly sick with a permanent headache and panicky sprints to the loo.
I threw them in the bin and am doing very well on the LCHF lifestyle.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The way Metformin acts is not understood - (really reassuring that is !!) but it reduces the ability of the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream.
It doesn't remove glucose from the blood but would be effective in lessening the dawn phenomenon.
I would add that by making those susceptible to it feel really dismal it means we don't feed ourselves properly and so we lose weight lack nourishment and have our hair fall out.
Thanks @Resurgam
Is it true that metformin also acts as an appetite suppresent? If so, it's having the opposite effect on me although that could be down to feeling so much better on the LCHF diet because previously my appetite was quite poor.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
i stopped it in april this year bg only went up by0.3 but i did have a bad month in may when it seemed
a bit out of control but i got it back on track in june had was happy with my hba1c in july 5.9 still to see the doctor
but i will not be going back on the metformin , so good luck you can control it with diet and exersise

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reduced by blood sugars through a LCHF diet, so no longer need Metformin. I take Alpha Lipoic Acid which reduces blood sugars by about 0.5 mmol/l. Metformin can give rise to lower vitamin B12 levels in about 22% of type 2 patients. This can lead to symptoms of neuropathy and Alzheimer's.

A recent study over 12 years showed that you are 50% more likely to get dementia if taking Metformin.

Last edited:
Reactions: grante

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends
I feel metformim is messing up my life so I have stopped taking it from today
I now have blood/glucose meter so wii be monitoring
I am a bit scared but will take the pills again if readings get too high
Has anyone else taken this path ? X
When I was diagnosed my hba1c was at 102 or 11%. 2 month later I am at 59 or 7.5%.
I discussed with my diabete nurse that I was going to stop my Metformin against her recommendations. I stopped 9 days ago and have seen a decrease on my daily tests. I am expecting my November hba1c test to start with a 4.
I had no side effects whilst on metformin.
If metformin blocks the liver from dumping glucose then how can the body do it's natural process ?
My little experiment of stopping metformin appears to be working for me.
I would rather treat with diet than get reliant on a drug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bon83 and bigjim19

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

Metformin made me very miserable, stomach upsets etc, was told it was an appetite suppress the. Took myself of metformin much to my dn horror went Lchf and never looked back, will not go back on metformin. That said some people swear by it and each to there own.

@barriebanana have you looked at changing your diet, please let us know especially if you have any questions, the people here are very friendly and have a wealth of experience. X

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you everyone for your responses
I am 8.2 this morning at 0700 not as low as I hoped
Ate low carb yesterday
I am going to go low carb as much as possible
Would appreciate some breakfast ideas from you lovely folks

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
emoji41.png
Eggs, bacon, good quality sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, ham, salami, cheese, coffee and cream, full fat yoghurt, smoked salmon, sardines, crustless quiche, avocado, spinach, lettuce, berries - but NEVER all on the same plate!
Sally

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello again

Have a look at diet doctor website for lots of low carb ideas including breakfast.

I tend to skip breakfast and have a coffee with cream instead, you could have for breakfast:
Bacon and eggs
Greek yoghurt ( my favourite breakfast if eating) with a few berries
Kippers
Diet doctor have a great recipe for breakfast muffins which can be frozen so you can make quite a few, I like them for lunch.
Omelettes
Scrambled eggs

Your fasting reading in a morning is usually the last bg to change, it takes time but you will get there. Are testing before you eat and 2 hours after your first bite.

Stick with it, it's so worth it, I am fitter and healthier than ever, bg levels in non diabetic range, blood pressure and cholesterol down, weight dropping. X

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your responses
I am 8.2 this morning at 0700 not as low as I hoped
Ate low carb yesterday
I am going to go low carb as much as possible
The low carb way of eating is effective and does give results quite quickly - but you might just be being a bit over optimistic - maybe try it for a week and then see. There is quite a lot which happens when you eat low carb foods and check to see how meals or foods affect you.
First you are finding out what not to eat - I found that all the types of food which stopped or slowed weightloss back in the pre diagnosis days were exactly the ones to hike up my BG readings, and if I did eat them, my progress towards normal readings was set back.
Secondly the store of glycogen in the liver needs to be depleted ( something you will feel a lot better without) though it might give you a few wobbly sensations, as your metabolism is re routing itself at the same time, waking up systems which have been blocked off for quite a while. Going for walks seems to be helpful, more severe exercise might lead to a need for more energy than is available.
Thirdly your poor hysterical pancreas which has been over producing insulin but being ignored needs to be allowed to calm down and feel better.
Only then would you feel a change in your general wellbeing, and normal energy should be restored, but you do need to stay with the program.