Type 2 Stop taking metformim

Maxine3624

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked my doctor if when can I come off Metformin (down to 2 a day now). Doctor said Id be on them for life. Am now following LCHF diet and feel much better. Dont seem to have such severe dips in BG. Please let me know how you get on. I have heard others say they dont feel so tired once off Metformin

Nuin Salleh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends
I feel metformim is messing up my life so I have stopped taking it from today
I now have blood/glucose meter so wii be monitoring
I am a bit scared but will take the pills again if readings get too high
Has anyone else taken this path ? X

I had stop my medication of Metformin after knowing that it has side effect in the long run. Now I just diet and exercise to control BG.

I leave in South east Asia and our main food is Rice but my BG stood at 6.0 without medication. Every meal I take Vinegar, Raw garlic, bitter melon and ginger. It help me too much to lower my BG without medication.

Reactions: barriebanana

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor called me to the surgery today and tried to persuade me to resume taking the tablets, so I explained that life was not worth living in the state I was at Christmas, and she has agreed to my continuing to do without, even though my LDL cholesterol has increased.
Not a word about my normal levels, no comment on my triglyceride levels going down 25% in the last 3 months - it is as though only a medicated solution is acceptable.

altyanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After reading all the comments about taking/not taking metformin, I have decided to take the plunge and stop taking it - starting with stopping for say 3 months and see how I go. Firstly though I need to buy a meter (don't test at all, which my DN is ok with). Any suggestions as to the best meter to buy anyone?

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good luck altyanne I've just completed my first week my bg was 6 on waking and 5.8 3 hrs after breakfast today I've got an accuchek performa nano and now just got the software to send results to my computer which makes it interesting
It's good to monitor you feel more in controll
Only if you change your diet accordingly though
May be worth speaking to your D nurse tell her you want to try controlling by diet alone and need a meter my drs receptionist told me some people have been provided with test strips on prescription like this but they had to use the meter they were told to
Hope this helps
Let us all know your progress
barriebanana

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Having the meter to check that all is well might be a good idea if you are at all doubtful about what you are doing.
It will also indicate any foods which you react to - I can't eat porridge but it scarcely spikes many, lentils are another food which varies in effects on different people.
If you are to buy your own meter and strips there are some options which are far cheaper than others so it is better to check on the cost of the strips before deciding on a meter to use.

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today (day 8) of not taking metformin I felt very strange checked bg-ok checked bp-ok
Took 1 metformin tab
Need advise please go back to regular dose of persevere
Ps I am still sticking to low or no carbs
Barriebanana

Em180578

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After reading all the comments about taking/not taking metformin, I have decided to take the plunge and stop taking it - starting with stopping for say 3 months and see how I go. Firstly though I need to buy a meter (don't test at all, which my DN is ok with). Any suggestions as to the best meter to buy anyone?
Hi there you can get a free meter from diabetes UK if you register and they ask you how many times you test and I got a "contour next one " it all so has an app that goes with it on ya phone it sends results to the phone which stores it and it also has a red amber green light to indecate how you are doing. I think it a good meter and fully recamend it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today (day 8) of not taking metformin I felt very strange checked bg-ok checked bp-ok
Took 1 metformin tab
Need advise please go back to regular dose of persevere
Ps I am still sticking to low or no carbs
Barriebanana
You really should contact your doctor or get advice if you go on feeling odd - other than the side effects starting to fade I had no change in how I felt after stopping the tablets.

Framps7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi what did your doctor say about not taking metformin anymore? I'm 65 yes I just want to feel ok..to not and not feel worried about being unwell. It's so worrying at timnes. I have a diabetic review with GP next week ..see how that pans out. Previous reviews been waste of time!!!
Yes I agree Drs review....is a total waste of time!

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Went to doctor yesterday told him concerned at having bloating ,wind and constant visits to toilet and suspect metformin asked for an alternative
He said need to be sure stop taking for 2 weeks to be sure So doing this now
Will let you know outcome and verdict

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to doctor yesterday told him concerned at having bloating ,wind and constant visits to toilet and suspect metformin asked for an alternative
He said need to be sure stop taking for 2 weeks to be sure So doing this now
Will let you know outcome and verdict
You could try the slow release version perhaps.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I have reduced by blood sugars through a LCHF diet, so no longer need Metformin. I take Alpha Lipoic Acid which reduces blood sugars by about 0.5 mmol/l. Metformin can give rise to lower vitamin B12 levels in about 22% of type 2 patients. This can lead to symptoms of neuropathy and Alzheimer's.

A recent study over 12 years showed that you are 50% more likely to get dementia if taking Metformin.

Really? What about its reputation as an anti aging drug?

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was the doctor ok with you taking alpha lipid I take insulin and sotaglipin just bought some label says don't mix with other LEDs

barriebanana

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Been to see Dr again after 3 weeks of no metformin
He’s now put me on slow release metformin and sent me for an internal camera probe in case of any more serious issues

Jaz006

Wow this is a good thread. Thanks guys for sharing. You guys are more helpful then any book out there. Excellent peer support. When I was diagnosed last month at 7.6... I think it was my Gp was so quick to mention meds which I declined. I am so glad I did. It's a shame Gp's jump to medication straight away. I feel disappointed that diet and exercise was not considered as an option. Instead I was given an out of date computer print out and was told I would be hearing from numerous professionals about attending health appointments. I feel my Gp let me down on a Friday night at 5pm.

Anyway thank you for the advise on the medication because she told me she will speak to me again about it in 3 months once I've been re-tested. But I could tell from her voice her plan for me is medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was retested - at 80 days exactly, I was no longer diabetic - my HCPs have been sulking ever since - and then I was in the normal range at 6 months - they have not even wanted to talk to me since then.

Reactions: Diane60