• Start Date

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well tonight's Mexican avo was better, riper, softer and better taste. I think yesterday's wasn't quite ripe.
And the one I had tonight was even better. I ate it without any dressing, just a little salt.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any avocado spirits or liqueurs. :(
Perhaps a business opportunity for an avocado entrepreneur?

You could make your own avocado infused vodka though.
I knew you'd research it for me!!! Thank you. I'll just put a little wedge hanging on my glass instead of lime!!

Reactions: Prem51

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I have new uses for the 'ripe and ready to eat' avocado double pack I bought in Tesco a few days ago - cricket or golf! They are rock hard and are showing no signs of ripening!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@berylc If you have a Waitrose near you, get their 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' which usually are ready to eat. Marks & Spencers avocados are usually good too.

Last edited:

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
@berylc If you have a Waitrose near you, get their 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados' which usually are ready to eat. Marks & Spencers avocados are usually good to.

I live in Orkney, so only Tesco, Lidl and small co-open. Tried all for avocados and very mixed results. Will look in M&S when we are on holiday next month.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Orkney, so only Tesco, Lidl and small co-open. Tried all for avocados and very mixed results. Will look in M&S when we are on holiday next month.

I suspect the mixed results might be true in many areas Beryl, I've found the same - they can range from going off before showing the slightest sign of ripenings, to perfection exactly at the right time when needed.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We are right out of the ones we got last week, going to have get a couple of bags of them next shopping trip if they still have them.

Edit: Here's a link to Australian Avocados.

They have some good recipes there, I noticed a Avo cheesecake that with a bit of modifying could be made low carbish.

Thank you for that link - I've book marked it too. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have new uses for the 'ripe and ready to eat' avocado double pack I bought in Tesco a few days ago - cricket or golf! They are rock hard and are showing no signs of ripening!
Do you know their country of origin? I'm thinking peru!!! Haha

Sometimes they take awhile to start but then ripen quickly. They're quirky little things.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know much about other stores because I mostly buy Morrisons wonky avocados and have had perfect ones in a three pack and one inedible in a three pack ,also perfect ones in a five pack and another pack with ones that refused to ripen ?? I am the old aged pensioner who gets in the way squeezing all the avocados!!! I need my avocado hit every day to keep my weight going onward and upwards
CAROL

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's not possible to squeeze the Waitrose 2 avocado packs now, they have packaged them in fully enclosed plastic case. But they are usually good.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you know their country of origin? I'm thinking peru!!! Haha

Sometimes they take awhile to start but then ripen quickly. They're quirky little things.
I threw the packaging away :( sorry!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that's crazy!!

I'd need at least 3 a day!

I think we must be in the perfect growing season here as they've all been absolutely beautiful here ( knocking on wood). Probably a bit less hot in MX and CA and a bit more rain.

If I recall from the last few years they should continue to be good for quite a few months. Seems that really hot dry weather does them no good.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I went to Waitrose this morning to replenish my avocado stocks. No Mexican avocados today. But they did have some loose 'ripen at home' South African avos, and the big avocados were from South Africa too. They had 6 packs of those little avos too, from Peru.
I got some ready to eat Peru avocados, and one South African 'ripen at home' avocado to see if that is any different.

Reactions: Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to Waitrose this morning to replenish my avocado stocks. No Mexican avocados today. But they did have some loose 'ripen at home' South African avos, and the big avocados were from South Africa too. They had 6 packs of those little avos too, from Peru.
I got some ready to eat Peru avocados, and one South African 'ripen at home' avocado to see if that is any different.
I'll be interested to hear!! No South African hear as far as I know.
Did you see my thread on avocado and cholesterol??? My cholesterol was outstanding !!! I give All the credit. An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!! Who needs apples lol.

Reactions: Prem51 and Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Prem51, I did the same as you, and went "shopping" to check out varieties and countries of origin for those on sale in my 3 local supermarkets. I wanted to see which ones turn out best, and keep the longest, without going off. This is what I got so far:

Aldi: pack of 4 small (abt. 75g each incl. skin & stone) ripen at home. Hass - source: Columbia.
one went bad before ripening, so had to be thrown out. Second one was fine; not perfection, but good.

Aldi: twin pack of medium size (abt 150g whole) ripe and ready. Hass - source: Tanzania (that's a first!)
not ripe enough for me, so have yet to try one of these.

Aldi also had some single large avos, of South African origin, but I didn't get one of those, as already had more than enough!

Sainsbury's: twin pack, medium size (also abt 150g each), ripe and ready. Hass - source: Colombia.
First one was fine, just about right amount of 'ripeness', went down a treat.

Asda: twin pack, smedium size (abt 150g each), ripen at home. Hass - source: Peru
The best of the bunch so far, first one was perfect; hope the second one is just as good.

I suspect I might have overdone it on the stock / ripeness ratios and that some of them might well become over-ripe before I'm ready to eat them; but that's ok - maybe I'll have an "avocado fast" for the next couple of days :D

p.s. couldn't find any that were not Hass variety, perhaps that's all we get in the UK

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Prem51, I did the same as you, and went "shopping" to check out varieties and countries of origin for those on sale in my 3 local supermarkets. I wanted to see which ones turn out best, and keep the longest, without going off. This is what I got so far:

Aldi: pack of 4 small (abt. 75g each incl. skin & stone) ripen at home. Hass - source: Columbia.
one went bad before ripening, so had to be thrown out. Second one was fine; not perfection, but good.

Aldi: twin pack of medium size (abt 150g whole) ripe and ready. Hass - source: Tanzania (that's a first!)
not ripe enough for me, so have yet to try one of these.

Aldi also had some single large avos, of South African origin, but I didn't get one of those, as already had more than enough!

Sainsbury's: twin pack, medium size (also abt 150g each), ripe and ready. Hass - source: Colombia.
First one was fine, just about right amount of 'ripeness', went down a treat.

Asda: twin pack, smedium size (abt 150g each), ripen at home. Hass - source: Peru
The best of the bunch so far, first one was perfect; hope the second one is just as good.

I suspect I might have overdone it on the stock / ripeness ratios and that some of them might well become over-ripe before I'm ready to eat them; but that's ok - maybe I'll have an "avocado fast" for the next couple of days :D

p.s. couldn't find any that were not Hass variety, perhaps that's all we get in the UK
Good hunting!!! Different origins might be better or worse there vs here. Just a thought.
I've never seen any other variety than hass

I've done avocado fasts and they're very nice. Cleansing actually.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Salvia I've only seen the Hass variety too. Interesting that your Sainsbury's avocados were from Colombia. I've only seen Peruvian avocados in my local Sainsburys, I've tried them and they have varied, the Waitrose ones are usually better and more consistent. I'll watch out for the Colombian ones and give them a try if they get any in.
Let us know what the Aldi Tanzanian one is like. There is an Aldi not too far away from me.

Reactions: Salvia