Type 2 Have you reversed your T2?

HelenMW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders, peas and most of all diabetes!
My DSN told me at the very beginning that it's impossible to reverse type 2. However my blood readings are always within the normal range and there are no signs of diabetes at all - foot checks, eye checks etc always normal. I believe I HAVE reversed it and I've done it by following a low carb high fat diet. I've never been healthier in my life since I started it 18 months ago and the benefits started straight away with normal bloods within a matter of days. The other thing that helped me was buying a meter and testing my blood regularly to see what effects different foods were having and to work out what I could and couldn't comfortably eat. I'd advise anyone to try this eating regime

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel my type 2 is definitely in reverse. I had an HbA1c of 70 on diagnosis in May and on review in July it was down to prediabetic level of 45. Like @HelenMW I have adopted low carb diet and self monitoring with success in loosing weight, no foot problems and clear eye checks. My home checks are always within normal limits now. I am hoping my next HbA1c next month will be in the non diabetic range. I know I cannot cure my diabetes, but with maintaining a low carb diet I hope I can continue to return normal blood tests and vastly reduce (or even eliminate?) my chances of complications

jlm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I feel my type 2 is definitely in reverse. I had an HbA1c of 70 on diagnosis in May and on review in July it was down to prediabetic level of 45. Like @HelenMW I have adopted low carb diet and self monitoring with success in loosing weight, no foot problems and clear eye checks. My home checks are always within normal limits now. I am hoping my next HbA1c next month will be in the non diabetic range. I know I cannot cure my diabetes, but with maintaining a low carb diet I hope I can continue to return normal blood tests and vastly reduce (or even eliminate?) my chances of complications
I have not been following all of the diabetes advice for about 15 years. I have been on Gliclazide and Metformin consistently for about 2 years. 8 weeks ago I changed my diet and eliminated all carbs and fruits. My HbA1c was over 100. After 6 weeks I got it down to 57. I started using a glucose home monitor. My average the first week was 12 or so. Now it is 6.5. I stopped taking Gliclazide as I need to lose weight, about 12 kg. My morning readings have gone up to 8.3 from about 7 but my afternoon and evening readings are in the 6 - 7 range. This has happened for the last 3 days.
How do I keep my readings all below 7?
How do I know how much insulin I am producing? Has anyone had the C-peptide test?
In the last 2 weeks I have slowly introduced some low GI carbs like chick peas, quinoa and brown rice, about 30 -50 g/day.
My cholesterol was high, 8.5. I stopped eating almost all animal protein. (no meat, eggs, cheese, dairy; only sardines and mackerel from cans). Is it correct to lower cholesterol below 4 or 5 according NHS guidelines or is higher cholesterol better for you according to some internet doctors and Japanese etc. What is the story with cholesterol as it is so confusing about what to do?
I started an exercise programme 10 days ago of brisk walking for 30 minutes a day.

Thank you for any support or guidance.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jlm I'm am confused as you about opinions on cholesterol levels!
However as far as your blood sugar levels are concerned, can I ask why you've decided to reintroduce chick peas, quinoa and rice, aren't these all high carbohydrate foods? This may account for your higher blood sugars plus of course you've stopped your Gliclazide.
Since I have adopted a low carbohydrate diet in May I've lost 20kg, I'm also on Metformin and I believe that that helps too. Meat, eggs, cheese and dairy are all a large part of my low carb diet. I wonder why you've given up this group of foods?

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea if I have reversed my T2 or not. I haven't had an HbA1c in the diabetic range since April 2014 (twice yearly tests). All my feet and eye checks are normal, my cholesterol and blood pressure are normal, my other blood markers are normal, my ALT and Gamma GT are excellent, my BMI is 21 and my waist to height ratio is perfect. My finger pricks are almost all in the non-diabetic range apart from when I've experimented with too many additional carbs - and there is the rub.

You will have to define the word "reversed" before I can answer properly.

Very low carb, above moderate protein, rest fats. Not a great deal of exercise apart from dog walks. I have been diet only since the start.

Last edited:

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
its a recipe!

Take (some) of the advice given by HCP, mix it in with (some) of the advice given in here.

Leave to settle whilst you think what is best for you .... and then do it!

I am officially 'in remission' after only12 months. In a nutshell .... loose weight, eat healthily, and do exercise. All 3 have worked for me.

I have an amazing life now. I soooo enjoy my exercise... and have bags of energy. I eat healthily but enjoy the odd 'naughty' meal / drink etc ... just as we all should .... and I'm 6st lighter. For me it wasn't a death sentence (yet) .... it was a wake up call, and kick in the goolies I soooo needed!

Sorry if this is blazey, a lovely afternoon sat in the sun with a couple of G&Ts kinda does that to you!

Good luck!

Reactions: HelenMW

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe partly at least I now eat around 200 grams of carbs a day , morning numbers in the area 5.7- 6.0 , do still take metformin 2 x850 mg Daily , do exercise 2-3 times a week mostly twice , where I each time burn around 2000 calories an do resistance training too weights and maschines ( do consider it my duty and job ( am a single mother ) do exercise 3-5 hours each time )

Did initially do 6 month of 1000 calories a day and 3 month of Intermittent fasting same period. And Then started the heavier exercise regimen which is for good , This week off because of an eye operation and daughters birthday party. Start again on wednesday actually miss it a bit But not much , each person must find his or her own strategy we are not all able to do the same , I can only do This much of exercise because I am a pensioner and because my daugther is almost grown up and because I dont have too many adding conditions , by the way my frequent depressions have lowered a lot since lower levels of carbs and not at least the frequent exercising

Reactions: Glenmac

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, James reversed his. Immediate low carb diet on diagnosis four years ago, 9 days from a diagnosis finger prick reading of 24 to constant normal readings. After the first HbA1c (which was after about a month) of 75, all since have been low 30's. Testing before and after meals soon became rather a bore. it's quite simple, just keep off the carbs, sugars and starches and everything else will look after itself. On diagnosis he had proliferative retinopathy, this has completely reversed too, it's not just the sugar numbers.
Sally

Reactions: Sam50

Tannith

BANNED
I have no idea if I have reversed my T2 or not. I haven't had an HbA1c in the diabetic range since April 2014 (twice yearly tests). All my feet and eye checks are normal, my cholesterol and blood pressure are normal, my other blood markers are normal, my ALT and Gamma GT are excellent, my BMI is 21 and my waist to height ratio is perfect. My finger pricks are almost all in the non-diabetic range apart from when I've experimented with too many additional carbs - and there is the rub.

You will have to define the word "reversed" before I can answer properly.

Very low carb, above moderate protein, rest fats. Not a great deal of exercise apart from dog walks.
By "reversed"I mean able to eat normal levels of carbs without drugs and non diabetic BGs/HbA1c

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I could never, ever envisage eating 200g / 250g carbs again. I am simply not hungry enough. I have always included a couple of small potatoes in my carb allowance, but even struggle to finish those sometimes, never mind 4 or 5 of them. My eating habits have changed. The OGTT requires us to eat above 150g carbs for 3 days prior to the test for accurate results. I have been considering doing this test at home but am struggling to think where I might get all those carbs from in one day! :arghh:

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I've read on here somewhere that 200g?or 250 g? is considered normal for a non diabetic.
Yes, but are we talking about "normal" as in what most people do, or are we talking about "optimal", as in what is best for people. If you are defining "normal" as "what most people do", remember that many, many people, who are not categorised as diabetic are overweight and have insulin resistance and are working their way towards all sorts of metabolic disfunction conditions.
Sally

Reactions: ziggy_w

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, but are we talking about "normal" as in what most people do, or are we talking about "optimal", as in what is best for people. If you are defining "normal" as "what most people do", remember that many, many people, who are not categorised as diabetic are overweight and have insulin resistance and are working their way towards all sorts of metabolic disfunction conditions.
Sally
Where I live (Alberta), someone analyzed all the medical records and worked out that 50% of the population eventually develops type 2 diabetes. I'm guessing a significant number of those that don't develop full blown diabetes will develop serious levels of insulin resistance. I think it's a safe assumption that the vast majority of the populations eats "normally". I don't think "normal" eating is healthy, even if you don't have/get diabetes.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By "reversed"I mean able to eat normal levels of carbs without drugs and non diabetic BGs/HbA1c
Might have been a good idea to include that in your initial question.
I also cannot envisage ever wanting to eat that amount of carbs. Why would I ? They made me ill and cutting them out of my life has improved my health no end. Lightest I have been in my adult life, smallest waist trousers too. I really don't miss stodge and gave up drinking 8 years ago so...

Tannith

BANNED
The recommended "portion" on packets of pasta is 75g as starter or 100g as main. Normal people eat that plus flour in the sauce and maybe some carbs in the cheese in/on it. Then possibly a dessert. I don't eat this much but I understand it is considered normal.

S

serenity648

The recommended "portion" on packets of pasta is 75g as starter or 100g as main. Normal people eat that plus flour in the sauce and maybe some carbs in the cheese in/on it. Then possibly a dessert. I don't eat this much but I understand it is considered normal.
Maybe the problem is that what is considered normal these days is too much for our bodies to handle, with or without diabetes. My DN said 280g carbs spread out over the day is about right for me (I know, stop laughing)

She calculated this as one third of my allowed cals to be carbs, and, for my weight, calculated that I need about 1800 cals a day. So: 600 cals divided by 4 (cals per gram) = 150g of carb+ the 130g a day my brain needs

She got a bit shirty when i challenged her thinking, so i dropped the subject. And that is advice to a new type 2 !!!!! No wonder people dont get better.

I have, now, actually launched a formal complaint about her cluelessness and dangerous lack of training.