What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two cups of double decaffeinated espresso with cream and xylitol.

Lunch: Two and a half links of merguez sausages, two small savory zucchini pancakes and a bit of tzatziki. Two heaping spoonfuls of low-carb chocolate mousse.

Dinner: A savory zucchini pancake, pesto chicken with olives and feta from dietdoctor.com and small piece of homemade low-carb New York cheesecake.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
On the subject of chia seeds, has anyone used them to thicken savoury sauces/stews, and if so what kind of seed to liquid ratio do you use?

Sorry - can't help you with that - I usually use double cream to thicken sauces.

There are some white chia seeds which might make a sauce more appealing - and grinding them might help, too.

Reactions: Goonergal

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thursday....

Breakfast: One fried egg, one rasher middle bacon (grilled), one half of a grilled tomato

Lunch: 100g low fat Pineapple Cottage Cheese on two crackerbreads

Dinner: Grilled Lamb with salad and some garlic sauce - I think it must have been the garlic sauce that increased my BG but its one combination I won't be repeating again.

Drinks: Black coffee with breakfast, mid morning and lunch - then sparkling mineral water for the rest of the day

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the subject of chia seeds, has anyone used them to thicken savoury sauces/stews, and if so what kind of seed to liquid ratio do you use?
Not sure I would fancy that even if the white seeds as it would I suspect give it that jelly like texture. Like @Chook I thicken with cream or a rapid reduce.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use tapioca flour or arrowroot to thicken sauces if cream / eggs dont do the job enough
http://yourlighterside.com/2013/01/low-carb-thickeners/
I notice they don't recommend chia seeds either except for baking. I like the idea of cream cheese plus pureed vegetables. I use sour cream in stroganoff (Rick Stein recipe from the food heroes book). Best stroganoff recipe I've come across. He serves it with straw chips (I have celeriac chips when I have it now). There's also a cracking lobster thermidor recipe in that book - good now that lobster is getting a bit more affordable for special occasions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bloods getting better again. Bed 5.6 FBG 5.8 and pre breakfast was 6.1. Boys are staying tonight as Mummy and Daddy are off to another wedding. Did upstairs yesterday so a quick tidy downstairs this morning (no point in doing any more as it looks as though a bomb has hit it with two here within 5 mins).
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice Hovis lower carb seeded with the fruity one pate.
L. Marigold Swiss bouillon and Urban Fruit triple toasted coconut chips.
D. Boys and Hubby are on chicken stir fry with noodles and teriyaki sauce me - chicken red curry with cauliflower rice.

Finally managed to get raw lamb shanks so will be making Tom Kerridge's lamb shank madras in the Instant Pot for Sunday.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[
QUOTE="maglil55, post: 1548817, member: 52911"]Not sure I would fancy that even if the white seeds as it would I suspect give it that jelly like texture. Like @Chook I thicken with cream or a rapid reduce.[/QUOTE]

Sorry - can't help you with that - I usually use double cream to thicken sauces.

There are some white chia seeds which might make a sauce more appealing - and grinding them might help, too.
I use tapioca flour or arrowroot to thicken sauces if cream / eggs dont do the job enough
http://yourlighterside.com/2013/01/low-carb-thickeners/

I notice they don't recommend chia seeds either except for baking. I like the idea of cream cheese plus pureed vegetables. I use sour cream in stroganoff (Rick Stein recipe from the food heroes book). Best stroganoff recipe I've come across. He serves it with straw chips (I have celeriac chips when I have it now). There's also a cracking lobster thermidor recipe in that book - good now that lobster is getting a bit more affordable for special occasions.

Thanks all, some useful suggestions. I am a cooking novice compared to all of you!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - none

Lunch - bit of an experiment. Have been fancying fried chicken for ages but resisting. Went for it today: 2 pieces of original recipe KFC. A 1.3 mmol rise after two hours. Started at 4.4 so acceptable, but not a frequent meal, I suspect. Hopefully now that I've satisfied the curiosity I'll not need to go back!

Dinner - will be at Cafe Rouge with friends. Having checked the menu it looks like either steak or salmon with salad. Waiting at Euston for the train to Birmingham now.

Drinks - 1 mug tea with cream, 1 cup tea with milk, 1 Diet Coke and about 2 litres of water

B

badcat

B- Shake
L- trout fillet waith Cauliflower fried "rice"
D- another shake
Drinks - 2x nespresso with single cream
Sadly I think shakes are going to have to form most of my meals for the next few day. I had to have a filling done a couple of weeks ago, it failed taking a big chunk of tooth with it, so I had to have it redone last Friday. Then today when I was eating my cauli fried rice, I bit into some sunflower / pumpkin seeds in it and the bloody filling fell out leaving a big hole so I will have to be v careful what I eat / bite until middle of next week which is the earliest they can see me ( very unimpressed with that - mind you they initially said the couldnt see me til the 18th - I wont repeat my reaction to that!)
690 cals 43g carbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: perry1960 and Chook

perry1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People that moan for no reason
B- mug green tea
L- ham and cheese burgen bread toasty mug black coffee
D- breast of chicken with coconut and lemon grass dressing stir fried bean sprouts yellow peppers spinach and mushroom
Greek yogurt with a few blueberries sparkling water
Water throughout the day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: lc paleo porridge
L: none
S: small portion popcorn
D: roast mediterranean veg with chicken breast and parmesan. Tomorrow when i roast the other half, i need to put the whole garlic cloves on top to get the most heat. They were rather al dente (understatement!) and we are now breathing GARLIC. Delicious, but i won't be popular tomorrow !

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not the best of days for someone on ND!! :banghead:

I cooked a meal for eight for a friend's 70th last night and ate (and drank) my fair share, so yesterday's menu was

Breakfast: Nothing

Lunch: BFree chia wrap wrapped around a spoonful of houmous, little gem lettuce and a tiny amount of red onion

Dinner: Roast beef, runner beans, purple sprouting broccoli, cauliflower, roast parsnip, cauliflower mash - I avoided the yorkshire puds and the roast potatoes

Dessert: Low carb Chocolate Torte (think truffles with rum) and fresh raspberries

Drinks: oh dear... Black coffee with breakfast and mid morning, sparkling mineral water until I started cooking dinner and red wine after that. I can't remember how many but it must have been quite a few because I remember struggling to stay awake. I think my glass must have come from Hogwarts because it kept refilling itself. ;)

I feel a bit like this :dead: o_O:oops: this morning.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two cups of double decaffeinated espresso with cream and a bit of xylitol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: We ate out at our favorite tapas place. Two glasses of rioja, two small skewers of lamb, a serving of fried sardines, aioli and a homemade low-carb roll (which I had brought from home.) Later after getting home, a savory zucchini pancake and a serving of pesto-chicken cassarole with olives and feta.

Last edited:

Cliodb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think my diet has gotten worse since i have become diabetic, for the last week or so i have been eating the same thing every day, only way i have found so far to keep my blood sugars good.
B - 500ml of protein milk
L - 4 tux crackers with cream cheese and smoked salmon
D - 2 potato waffles with grated cheeses and fresh fish

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think my diet has gotten worse since i have become diabetic, for the last week or so i have been eating the same thing every day, only way i have found so far to keep my blood sugars good.
B - 500ml of protein milk
L - 4 tux crackers with cream cheese and smoked salmon
D - 2 potato waffles with grated cheeses and fresh fish
I'd be bored with the same thing daily. Have a look on this thread to see what people are eating and I'm sure you will get some good ideas to vary your diet.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 5.9 and pre breakfast was also 5.9. Nothing short of miraculous with both boys staying.
B. Pre swimming with No 1 grandson Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice Bfree GF bread toasted and a scrambled egg.
L. Last 2 black farmers daughter pork chipolatos, small slice black pudding, 4 cherry tomatoes, fried egg and another Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
D. Remains of yesterday's Thai red chicken curry and cauliflower rice.
The required chia pudding ( yes I made another batch ) and 4 strawberries.

B

badcat

Contry to expectations, I havnt had to rely on shakes all day and my tooth is not being too badly behaved (throbbing a bit but still in one piece)
B -150g greek yogurt with 60g stewed strawberries
L - a baked trout fillet with 1/2 avocado
D - will be a shake or the last portion of blood sugar diet aubergine lasagne
Drinks - 1 nespresso with almond milk cappuccino and 2 of my new favourite drink made from 200 ml of this
https://www.califiafarms.com/black-and-white-cold-brew-coffee, whizzed up in the nutribullet with 50g of this
https://www.oppoicecream.co.uk/blog1/chocolate
Once a little treamill action was deducted by MFP - 615 cal 38g carbs ( 48 if I go for the shake option later)

Last edited by a moderator:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Trying to starve these bronchitis bugs of their sugar by going carb. free today! :

B: 2 boiled eggs/ black tea.
L: Sliced cold chicken breast with lettuce, celery/ black tea.
D: Bacon/ melted cheese and canned tomatoes.
Snacks/Treats: Small bar Moser Roth 70% dark choc.

Update:
Bloods up to 9.2 next morning so guess it didn't help. These bugs are evil! :grumpy:

Last edited: