Does cheddar make your BS go up?

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

It seems every time I eat a bit of cheddar my BS goes unexpectedly high. I do count for proteins in my bolus, which works great for everything, but it seems even if I do that for cheddar, this does not suffice. I don't eat a lot of cheese in UK, but the other one I usually eat in LARGE quantities is feta, and this goes absolutely fine if I count the proteins in it. Does anybody have a similar experience, with cheddar or any other specific cheese for no obvious reason?

Looking forward for opinions :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi,

It seems every time I eat a bit of cheddar my BS goes unexpectedly high. I do count for proteins in my bolus, which works great for everything, but it seems even if I do that for cheddar, this does not suffice. I don't eat a lot of cheese in UK, but the other one I usually eat in LARGE quantities is feta, and this goes absolutely fine if I count the proteins in it. Does anybody have a similar experience, with cheddar or any other specific cheese for no obvious reason?

Looking forward for opinions :)

Is Feta Cheese not lower in fat than Cheddar Cheese @Eldra , that may explain things, but if your eating Feta in larger quantities then that I'm surprised it doesn't have the same effect :banghead:

Cheese on its own raises my bg levels much like your own, but I rarely eat it on it's own.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I eat a cube when cooking. Yes that cube will shove levels up for me.

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well, I used to not count for proteins at all but I started doing so with great results. I always ate a massive load of cheese in France (as I'd expect from all fellow countrymen) and I was all fine. This includes notably emmental, roquefort, St Marcelin, feta, St Félicien, camembert and so on. Nothing ever did anything to me. So I would rule out lactose intolerance, and if I can eat roquefort (the cheese with lots of bacterial growth in it, yumyum) I doubt my intestine have any problem with bacteria, but again there are a lot of different varieties there.

@noblehead very valid point, I usually eat about a 100g of carbs every day so that's a bit surprising that I transform proteins into sugar. I should try and test that further, but counting for it in my ratios made my bolus more accurate than ever (except when I ate cheddar...).

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You seem to have a good handle on things @Eldra :)

I like most cheeses but Stilton is my favourite, but also like the strong Scottish Cheddar's too which go well with a salad.

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tried to eat yogurt and not protein-count. I ended at 10.4 :( 3 units correction it is.
I guess cheddar is just my magic thing... I have 60g of cheddar left in the fridge, once I get back to a normal BS, I will try to eat broccoli and that cheddar with no carbs whatsoever, to see what happens.

I guess sometimes there is no need to overthink? As Bernstein says, just believe what your meter says...?

Maybe Stilton works well for me :p thanks for the suggestion!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was going to ask is it just cheddar or maybe even a specific brand? Have you tried other hard cheeses.. to see if they have a similar effect.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Cant say cheese has ever increased my blood sugar, it does however increase my waistline ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tried to eat yogurt and not protein-count. I ended at 10.4 :( 3 units correction it is.

Lesson learnt @Eldra

Was it a natural yogurt or the flavoured type, I like the Greek Style Yogurts found in most supermarkets, the food chain Lidl do a nice one and is good value for money.

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was going to ask is it just cheddar or maybe even a specific brand? Have you tried other hard cheeses.. to see if they have a similar effect.

Very good point actually, I have not. I'd be surprised if a brand actually lied on their number. It was always from the same pouch of cheddar (300g pouch so it took me a while to take that bad boy down).

I have done the test I mentioned earlier, and ate a full broccoli with my 60g of cheddar remaining, which is 15g proteins (25%). So I put 1.5 unit insulin for the proteins as usual, and 1.5 unit correction because I was still at 7.7 from the previous hyper. 2h30 later I was at 6.7, which is fine, although a bit higher than I should expect. Maybe that bloody cheddar wasn't doing much in the first place? I am a bit surprised because I got high sugar specifically from that cheddar at least 2 or 3 other times... I may want to check up again that specific brand before testing another brand, although it's a very interesting question @bulkbiker
I have done a bit more work out than usual today (a tiiiny more), maybe my muscle just needed more proteins and didn't convert as much as usual to glucose.

Diabetes management is really a nerd thing... It's almost fun.

Lesson learnt @Eldra

Was it a natural yogurt or the flavoured type, I like the Greek Style Yogurts found in most supermarkets, the food chain Lidl do a nice one and is good value for money.

Lesson learnt, definitely hahaha.
I never eat flavour yogurt, you probably know why ;) a whooping 25% fast acting (not even slow) sugar, yay.
To be honest, even two weeks of LC diet are sufficient to make any human fall off their chair from eating such a sweet food. It tastes awful, it's like drinking regular coke after drinking diet sodas for a decade. My girlfriend and I love natural yogurt, as you mentioned, and I love that we can take the full-fat one (the low fat is so dry anyway). I didn't know Lidl does a yogurt, we always buy the tesco 500g blue pots, they are cheap, taste great and only have 5.5% sugar. I have done 4 BS tests over 2:30 after eating a full pot, and it doesn't peak at all due to the load of fat and proteins also.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Is somebody disrespecting cheeseo_O
Really.........
Cheese is the food of the Gods and whether it does or doesn't send our sugars up we all have the capacity to deal with it.

Mr Cheese has friends in my house like Mr Red wine and Mrs Cracker and not forgetting Madam raw onion who all exist happily in my little world of loveliness...........

Was someone disrespecting cheese?

Wanders off whistling a jaunty tune.................

Reactions: azure

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I didn't know Lidl does a yogurt

The brand name is Milbona, just google Milbona Greek Style Yogurt and you'll find the product, the yogurt comes in a 1kg tub.

Reactions: Eldra

Eldra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is somebody disrespecting cheeseo_O
Really.........
Cheese is the food of the Gods and whether it does or doesn't send our sugars up we all have the capacity to deal with it.

Mr Cheese has friends in my house like Mr Red wine and Mrs Cracker and not forgetting Madam raw onion who all exist happily in my little world of loveliness...........

Was someone disrespecting cheese?

Wanders off whistling a jaunty tune.................

I'm French, you're preaching the converted ;)
Hehehehe

Reactions: azure and Tony337

LeanneSpain.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had cheddar cheese sandwich. Bread doesn rise my bs much. My sugars spiked from 6 to 14. May aswel of had sugar. Cannot believe cheese would be so bad

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I like cheese it makes my face very sweaty tho, doesnt increase my blood sugar.