Low carb bread

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Went to my local Sainsbury's last week and they didn't sell the Hi-Lo bread and when I contacted Head Office I was told that they had stopped selling it as it didn't sell well. So thats the Livlife and Hi-Lo breads gone.

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Livlife bread is now back in Waitrose and widely available... and cheaper than before too!!

Try searching for 'LivLife' (in the search box at top of page) for more info!

:)

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Loud, bawdy people and over muscled macho men out to prove they're tougher than everyone else or with bad attitudes, mobile phones being used whilst driving, unfair VAT and tax.
Has anyone tried the HiLo bread thats a low carb one they sell it in Sainsburys and it is about £1.40 I don't know if any other supermarkets do it. It is 5gm carbs a slice which I think is slightly higher than Livlife but although the slices are very small they seem to be a little thicker cut than Livlife. I really didn't like Livlife bread at all I found it to dry and even my husband a real seeded bread lover would not eat it. Personally I think the Hilo bread is nicer but it is a matter of taste
http://hi-lo-bread.co.uk/
Yes it is a life saver for me but my local Sainsburys have told me they are no longer stocking Hi-Lo bread which has angered me as it is a much needed low carb product that keeps my diabetes sugar levels perfect. I believe that when your life is at risk then Sainsbury's should never have removed this from their stock list.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi-Lo bread is (unfortunately) a very low volume product. Sainsbury's systems have difficulty coping with it. When availability at my local store became very erratic I had a long discussion with the Bakery Manager. They sell on average 6 loaves a week in a fairly large store. It is delivered with the cakes (!) in a small box containing 4 loaves. The automatic ordering system can spread out deliveries anything between 4 and 10 days, which may well not match very well with the pattern of when people who want to buy it go into the shop, sometimes meaning they are left with one or two after the sell-by date, even if there are also frustrated people on other days in the same week who can't buy it because it is out of stock then.

What I have done is buy it whenever I am in the shop, and if I go short order it from Ocado. The latter option I guess might now be the only one for you.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While I was in the USA last week I picked up some Carb Smart bread

http://www.dimpflmeierbakery.com/holy-grail-bread-release-new-revolutionary-carb-smart-bread/

Its a full size slice, not tiny like Livlife and it has...wait for it...1g of carb per slice.

It actually tasted okay and I imagine it would be nice toasted.

Unfortunately it is a Canadian product and is US/Canada market only so not exported. Shame as it would have become a staple for me. 1g per slice and its decent size !

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Lidl protein rolls are the only bread I eat - they are always freshly baked, but you need to go early or request that some are baked for you - or alternatively get them in the frozen state to cook at home.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to Lidl on Saturday, shock horror only had 1 roll left, so I made my wife drive me to the next nearest Lidl where I stocked up. Thankfully it wasn't too far away !

Reactions: wolfie53

trytobegood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Available in west london sainsburys - they had 5 loaves this morning - staff said it was quite popular.
Smallish slices but thicker and bigger(I think) than live life. I didn't
really get on with livelife.
Toasted (it is ok ish). Watch out for burning!!
Trying a sandwich later in the day. At 10 carbs not too bad. Hopefully I can get away with it
instead of fiddling around with my almond flour 'bread' recipes which do not turn out well!!!
I have had success with baking a sponge cake with 90gms of almond and 30 percent soya, but that is
about it!!!!
Sainsburys may well be stocking more now as the diabetes awareness/debate grows.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Here, in Canada, the only "lower" carb bread I have found so far is Weight Watchers (or President's Choice Blue Menu). 7 Carbs per slice. Now, the bread is really not lower carb than any other bread, just smaller and thinner slices. By weight it is most likely like most whole wheat breads for carbs. When you just have to have bread, though, it is the "lesser of all evils" choice and helps to cut back on the volume of food consumed. Less bread with more meat, tuna, cheese, or other no carb sandwich ingredients.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just Tried it. Not as good as the now discontinued Lidl high protein rolls but will have to substitute for them as there is nothing else out there as low carb per 100g (15g) and high protein (24g)
on the market now unless anyone knows better.

D

Deleted member 308541

For the Australian members, you can get Herman Brot lower carb bread at 5.4g per 100g for two slices.

This is available in the freezer sections of Go Vita health food shops.

Bread_NutitionArtboard-1.png

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here, in Canada, the only "lower" carb bread I have found so far is Weight Watchers (or President's Choice Blue Menu). 7 Carbs per slice. Now, the bread is really not lower carb than any other bread, just smaller and thinner slices. By weight it is most likely like most whole wheat breads for carbs. When you just have to have bread, though, it is the "lesser of all evils" choice and helps to cut back on the volume of food consumed. Less bread with more meat, tuna, cheese, or other no carb sandwich ingredients.
Hi, if you are in Canada you can get this
http://www.dimpflmeierbakery.com/product/carb-smart/
Its excellent and really low carb !

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi, if you are in Canada you can get this
http://www.dimpflmeierbakery.com/product/carb-smart/
Its excellent and really low carb !
Funny that you mention this as I just ordered some online 2 days ago, along with some other low carb foods and expecting delivery today :) Shipped yesterday.

The Herman Brot post made me look online for something hopefully close enough for next day delivery as it requires either refrigeration or freezing. The online source I found is https://www.theLowCarbGrocery.com
Otherwise, the closest store that stocks low carb is in Newmarket (about 30-45 minute drive from my place).

If I like what I get I might try to convince the local health and nutrition store in town to stock some of it. We are a city of 140,000 people and the hub for the surrounding area for shopping, so the market is there. We also have a new Diabetes one-stop clinic (largest in Canada) so it would make sense for a retailer to cater to the needs of Diabetics.

Last edited:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funny that you mention this as I just ordered some online 2 days ago, along with some other low carb foods and expecting delivery today :) Shipped yesterday.

The Herman Brot post made me look online for something hopefully close enough for next day delivery as it requires either refrigeration or freezing. The online source I found is https://www.theLowCarbGrocery.com
Otherwise, the closest store that stocks low carb is in Newmarket (about 30-45 minute drive from my place).

If I like what I get I might try to convince the local health and nutrition store in town to stock some of it. We are a city of 140,000 people and the hub for the surrounding area for shopping, so the market is there. We also have a new Diabetes one-stop clinic (largest in Canada) so it would make sense for a retailer to cater to the needs of Diabetics.
That sounds excellent. The Carb-Smart bread I linked is pretty much a full sized loaf so I'm amazed the carb content is that low. Its a bit rubbery but perfectly edible and toasts nicely. I wish it was exported but it isn't.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the HiLo bread from Sainsburys. I have a slice a couple of times a week with my lunch. It makes good Marmite soldiers with boiled eggs :hungry: I spoke to the baker in my branch one day when there was none in stock. They only get half a dozen loaves in twice a week, so I stock up when I see it. It freezes well.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you all feeling this morning, as good, as one can expect to be with this condition, I hope?

I buy a low carb Bread from my local supermarket, it made by Helgas Bakeries and it's a 5 grain low carb loaf that is 25% less carbs than there normal loves. The only thing is I come from Downunder, so I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else but well worth a look in the bread section of your local!

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Was looking up something else on YouTube when I came across this John Pinet comedy sketch and he talks about no-carb bread. Every once and awhile we do have to see the humour in our world of coping with Diabetes. Watch and enjoy. Anybody who has tried low-carb bread will enjoy this: