Potato Carb values

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone uses as the carb value for raw potato? (Just normal big potatoes) I've been using 0.2 per gram for ages but think it's a bit low (can't even remember where I got that from).

I can find values for boiled / jacket / mash but can't find just normal raw potato...

I'm also looking to confirm raw sweet potato values (0.15 per gram I think?)

Thanks

Matt

D

Deleted member 308541

Spud Lite which are a 20% lower carb potato here in Australia are 9 grams carbs per 100 grams.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most potatoes on the Waitrose website seem to have between 16 and 18g per 100g so 0.16-.18 per gramme.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone uses as the carb value for raw potato? (Just normal big potatoes) I've been using 0.2 per gram for ages but think it's a bit low (can't even remember where I got that from).

I can find values for boiled / jacket / mash but can't find just normal raw potato...

Thanks

Matt

Hi @staffsmatt

My old dietician taught me in ounces as she said it was easiest to remember: 4oz raw potato is 2 carb units/20g carbs, 6oz is 3carb units/30g carbs, etc That is, the carb units are half the weight in ounces.

I've found that works well for bolus calculations.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @staffsmatt

My old dietician taught me in ounces as she said it was easiest to remember: 4oz raw potato is 2 carb units/20g carbs, 6oz is 3carb units/30g carbs, etc That is, the carb units are half the weight in ounces.

I've found that works well for bolus calculations.
Oh that's fab thanks!

Is sweet potato the same do you know?

Thanks again!

Matt

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh that's fab thanks!

Is sweet potato the same do you know?

Thanks again!

Matt

Similar, I think, but I find that sweet potato has a different effect. It raises my BS less and is lower GI.

I tend to knock a bit off my bolus for it, but you'll have to experiment to see how it affects you.

Reactions: staffsmatt

Bob991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Spud Lite which are a 20% lower carb potato here in Australia are 9 grams carbs per 100 grams.

1 potato the size of a large hens egg has 10g of carb in it approximately. I was told this when I was diagnosed in 1965.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1 potato the size of a large hens egg has 10g of carb in it approximately. I was told this when I was diagnosed in 1965.
Brill - when I was pregnant I remember there being 2 egg size potato's on the food swap list !

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi staffsmatt,

According to the DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) Carbohydrate Portion List booklet, raw potatoes are 1.5 Carb Portions (15 grammes) per 100g.

Sweet potato (raw) is 2 Carb Portions (20 grammes) per 100g.

grannyx3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in 1966 and was told the same. I have always counted potatoes as this and works well for me.

D

Deleted member 308541

Oooops! I should have said 25% less carbs.

I had a couple of smallish ones with dinner last night.

P

pollensa

Hi all,

Thanks

Matt
Hello,

I am surprised if one has diabetes or pre, why one would even consider any potato raw or cooked? Did you know a cooked potato i.e. baked in oven ONE, equates to approx. ONE CUP OF SUGAR!

For this reason, why don't you consider, alternative pumpkin for example, which is lesser carbs and lesser than sweet potato.

To eat a potato, pasta, bread or rice, these will not lower reduce ones blood sugars, its as simple as that.

There are wonderful substitutes to try, pumpkin instead of potato, much nicer too. Make seed crackers instead of bread, grate coliflour instead of rice, and spiralize zuchinni instead of pasta, don't even cook it have it raw and crunchy, wow, its wonderful with fresh tomatos, garlic, olive oil sauce with basil thrown in.

Hope this helps

Mallorca

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
To eat a potato, pasta, bread or rice, these will not lower reduce ones blood sugars, its as simple as that.

The OP is a type 1 @pollensa and with the right insulin dose (and timing) foods like the above can be eaten.

However some of your suggestions are good, love Pumpkin Soup and don't get me started on tomatoes & garlic.......lol

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi staffsmatt,

According to the DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) Carbohydrate Portion List booklet, raw potatoes are 1.5 Carb Portions (15 grammes) per 100g.

Sweet potato (raw) is 2 Carb Portions (20 grammes) per 100g.

So why does the same portion size of sweet potato cause under half the bg rise as a portion of potato? I've been caught out by this a couple of times, because it makes sense sweet potato would have more carbs, but it sure don't digest that way.