1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Potato Carb values

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by staffsmatt, Sep 10, 2017.

1. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone uses as the carb value for raw potato? (Just normal big potatoes) I've been using 0.2 per gram for ages but think it's a bit low (can't even remember where I got that from).

I can find values for boiled / jacket / mash but can't find just normal raw potato...

I'm also looking to confirm raw sweet potato values (0.15 per gram I think?)

Thanks

Matt

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Spud Lite which are a 20% lower carb potato here in Australia are 9 grams carbs per 100 grams.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Most potatoes on the Waitrose website seem to have between 16 and 18g per 100g so 0.16-.18 per gramme.

4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Hi @staffsmatt

My old dietician taught me in ounces as she said it was easiest to remember: 4oz raw potato is 2 carb units/20g carbs, 6oz is 3carb units/30g carbs, etc That is, the carb units are half the weight in ounces.

I've found that works well for bolus calculations.

• Like Like x 3
  5. staffsmatt

Oh that's fab thanks!

Is sweet potato the same do you know?

Thanks again!

Matt

• Like Like x 1
  6. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

Similar, I think, but I find that sweet potato has a different effect. It raises my BS less and is lower GI.

I tend to knock a bit off my bolus for it, but you'll have to experiment to see how it affects you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. staffsmatt

Brilliant thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Bob991

Bob991 Type 1 · Member

1 potato the size of a large hens egg has 10g of carb in it approximately. I was told this when I was diagnosed in 1965.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bon83

Bon83 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Brill - when I was pregnant I remember there being 2 egg size potato's on the food swap list !

10. micksmixxx

micksmixxx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi staffsmatt,

According to the DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) Carbohydrate Portion List booklet, raw potatoes are 1.5 Carb Portions (15 grammes) per 100g.

Sweet potato (raw) is 2 Carb Portions (20 grammes) per 100g.

11. grannyx3

grannyx3 Type 1 · Member

I was diagnosed in 1966 and was told the same. I have always counted potatoes as this and works well for me.

12. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Oooops! I should have said 25% less carbs.

I had a couple of smallish ones with dinner last night.

13. pollensa

pollensa · Guest

Hello,

I am surprised if one has diabetes or pre, why one would even consider any potato raw or cooked? Did you know a cooked potato i.e. baked in oven ONE, equates to approx. ONE CUP OF SUGAR!

For this reason, why don't you consider, alternative pumpkin for example, which is lesser carbs and lesser than sweet potato.

To eat a potato, pasta, bread or rice, these will not lower reduce ones blood sugars, its as simple as that.

There are wonderful substitutes to try, pumpkin instead of potato, much nicer too. Make seed crackers instead of bread, grate coliflour instead of rice, and spiralize zuchinni instead of pasta, don't even cook it have it raw and crunchy, wow, its wonderful with fresh tomatos, garlic, olive oil sauce with basil thrown in.

Hope this helps

Mallorca

14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The OP is a type 1 @pollensa and with the right insulin dose (and timing) foods like the above can be eaten.

However some of your suggestions are good, love Pumpkin Soup and don't get me started on tomatoes & garlic.......lol

15. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

So why does the same portion size of sweet potato cause under half the bg rise as a portion of potato? I've been caught out by this a couple of times, because it makes sense sweet potato would have more carbs, but it sure don't digest that way.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook