Flu jab 2017!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect that both of you get flu often but your body recovers so well that you don't know about it.

I recall from the last bad outbreak of a new type of flu that about 20% of childen in one area got it, but when they did the testing, they found it was closer to 100% who can it, but only 20% were ill.

Reactions: Lamont D

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the flu jab for years and have never had any reaction from it but even if I did it would not stop me having the jab again because that would better than having the flu and dying

Happy25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is now two weeks since my flu jab.
I have had consistently had blood glucose levels of over 6mmols.
It kicked me out of ketosis.
I had readings upwards of 7mmols regularly after two hours even eating very low carb.
I stopped eating until evening to keep my levels even at the just above normal levels.
My fasting levels had an average of 6.4 for those two weeks.
I have been feeling really rough, the usual suspects of symptoms, even had a fall, and so, so tired, I had to take a couple of days off to try and relax, get my control back, but until yesterday, my levels would not go back into normal levels.
If I didn't need to take the jab, I wouldn't bother again.
I thought the jab was to prevent getting the flu, but this did give me the virus that I was supposed to be protected from.
You would presume, that because I'm really healthy, that it would not affect me, but this was awful! (Not like man flu!)
I have always been a supporter of the flu jab, but not this year's recipe!

I hope I'm over it now!
I have had the flu jab for 30+ years as we had the option at work. Normally no reaction except occasionally a sore arm and minor symptoms but this year major whack with what felt like a minor flu, weak as a kitten with quite a chest infection. Thankfully on the mend now but I think this years brew is not nice. Still better than the real deal though and I will get again without hesitation next year.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had readings upwards of 7mmols regularly after two hours even eating very low carb.
I stopped eating until evening to keep my levels even at the just above normal levels.
I have been feeling really rough, the usual suspects of symptoms, even had a fall, and so, so tired, I had to take a couple of days off to try and relax, get my control back, but until yesterday, my levels would not go back into normal levels.
I thought the jab was to prevent getting the flu, but this did give me the virus that I was supposed to be protected from.
You would presume, that because I'm really healthy, that it would not affect me, but this was awful! (Not like man flu!)

I hope I'm over it now!
So sorry to hear about the after effects of your flu jab. But I do feel however, that perhaps you are being a little too concerned about your BG levels being around 6/7 mmols. Most diabetics, including myself would be quite happy to get readings like that! Hope you get over your symptoms but overall you are better off having a flu jab.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a big believer in vaccines, said no to the flu vaccine, as normal. Not had flu for years and years, rely on a good diet, plenty of outdoors and as much simple exercise (walking) as I can manage, and supplements, Vit C, Magnesium, Iodine, Selenium.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eek I'm having mine for the first time today
I have one every year and have never had any adverse reactions or problems - not even a sore arm....everyone is different and most people have no problems with it at all. I also read an article yesterday about how people should have flu jabs not to protect themselves, but the more vulnerable members of our society - that made a lot of sense!

Reactions: Speedbird

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd completely forgotten I had mine this morning till I read this! :) I've resisted it for a number of years as I fear over-medicating and realise the jab can only protect against certain strains, but I was so ill last Christmas (don't know if last year's flu vaccine would've saved me) that I'm kind of feeling I'd like all the protection I can get to avoid that again.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
me neither...never had a jab.
I never had flu jabs .... Then got flu one year, had to have five weeks off work, tuned into bronchitis, two different sorts of antibiotics, steroids and inhaler. have never felt so ill in my life....had a jab every year after that...and now they're free!!

Reactions: ringi

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Flu is a virus, I doubt whether supplements will protect you - either that or you've found a cure in which case 'call the Nobel committee

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had flu jabs every year since I got swine flu during the 2009 national outbreak. I had this year’s jab last Saturday and have felt a bit rough since, headachy and blood glucose levels up a little. Just feeling better today and levels back where they were, just in time for my pneumonia jab tomorrow :joyful:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Flu is a virus, I doubt whether supplements will protect you - either that or you've found a cure in which case 'call the Nobel committee

Yes, flu is a virus and will hit anyone randomly, but those with good working immune systems will be able to fight it off before it becomes a serious problem. It is those that don't have good immune systems that will suffer, particularly the frail elderly and those with some other medical issues. There may well be a case for supplements to boost the immune system. I don't know of any personally as my immune system works just fine and I don't need any ... at the moment.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, flu is a virus and will hit anyone randomly, but those with good working immune systems will be able to fight it off before it becomes a serious problem. It is those that don't have good immune systems that will suffer, particularly the frail elderly and those with some other medical issues. There may well be a case for supplements to boost the immune system. I don't know of any personally as my immune system works just fine and I don't need any ... at the moment.
I was mightily convinced by articles stressing the use of flu jabs to help flu spreading to vulnerable members of society - thinking more socially than personally !

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was mightily convinced by articles stressing the use of flu jabs to help flu spreading to vulnerable members of society - thinking more socially than personally !
I just do my best to avoid the general population.. best for all concerned I reckon...!

Reactions: charliebarker

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I hope I'm over it now!
Well don't take the jab and don't complain. I do look forward to not seeing the same thread in 2018.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not sure if it’s enough to ward off flu but about five years ago, having got fed up of spending every winter with end to end colds, I started taking a daily dose of vitamin C and zinc. Since taking it I have (touch wood!) only had two colds which were very mild. Coincidence I don’t know, but I daren’t stop taking it now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well don't take the jab and don't complain. I do look forward to not seeing the same thread in 2018.
Unfortunately, it would be remiss of me to do so!
As part of my employment I am constantly in contact with sportsmen.
I wasn't really moaning! (Ok, just a little bit!)