Does anyone think that only calories from carbs can make you fat?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, not a lot involving chips? ******! I really miss them. If there is one thing that would make me fall off the lchf wagon its chips.

I asked because I have seen some posts about other ways ( not lchf) of bringing down a hbalc on a permanent basis, but have not seen any posts about how exactly its done. When dx I was told that t2d was progressive and my gp a few days ago told me I would be on increasing medication for the rest of my life. Then she noticed my latest hba1c of 39 and said the metformin was working well!

The lchf seems to be the only way that really does halt t2d. I really wish it wasnt. I want to eat chips. I dont want to go blind or lose my feet but I still want to eat chips. If a way comes out tomorrow that does the same job but without the lchf I would be on it like a shot. And I have no doubt that one day there will be another way, and we will all be saying what fools we were to believe this rubbish. But at the moment it seems the best we have.

In answer to the original question in this thread, I have lost over 30 kgs since june. Lchf, not counting calories, just carbs. I have been overweight/obese most of my adult life. So, for me, yes, its calories from carbs that made me fat.
Did I mention that I miss chips?
Maybe it was the chips? :)

Reactions: Lamont D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One small detail that I learned early on in my reading was that there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. It helped me a lot at the time as I was struggling with hunger on LCHF and had had a couple of wobbles. I look at carbs now as something I don't need.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Not really, before I was diagnosed, my diet was probably close to yours and none of them worked.
I realised early on that there was no cure or magic pill.
So, I just do what others have done, organised my life, knowing that if I didn't, it would really effect my family and my health.
As long as I'm in ketosis, my health is as my GP, endocrinologist and dsn has quoted as perfect for an old git like me.
Until I wake my pancreas up and create chaos with insulin..

How are you coping with your pump?
I couldn't imagine living with carrying around one of those contraptions!

Best wishes
Well as you know we have to adapt. I couldn't control my BG during the night and also my carb ratios were basically maxed out. The pump being more efficient in delivering insulin has solved this. Also the dawn phenomenon that created the high BG's in the early hours of the morning has completely gone owing to the fact that insulin delivery is programmable by the hour and or less. It does mean more woek on your own part as your body changes all the time so once your basal pattern has been sussed a few weeks down the line you find that you need to do further basal tests to adust and correct etc. Yes a hell of a lot of work and although it is a pain in the rear i wouldn't want to be without it my HbA1c before the pump was 8.5 or so and now I'm 6.5 with the great chance of it getting better still.

Regarding wearing the pump it doesn't bother me one bit, it comes off twice a day when i have a shower and every three days for 3 or 4 minutes if that when i do a set change. This is filling and replacing the insulin reservoir, tubing and canular. Easy done believe me.

I wear the pump on a lanyard around my neck duringvthe day but sometimes clip it on the inside of the opening in my polo shirt. At night i usually put it in a spiebelt or just clip it to the waistband of my underwear. Lying lon it isn't a problem especially when its in the diabetic spiebelt ( this has a button hole which you pass the canular through)

Excellent bit of kit, nearly forgot i take less than 50% of Basal insulin now(Background insulin) thanks tobthe pumps efficiency.

Regards

Martin

Reactions: TIANDB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

After diagnosis I dug my heels in and refused point blank to give up all potatoes. I tried mash and discarded it straight away. I tried new boiled potatoes, and reduced the portion size down from 4 to 2 small ones having been guided by my meter, covered in butter of course. I tried chips, home made and fried. 6 of these are fine. I also tried frozen ones then fried. Strangely 10 of these are OK, but they tend to be thinner than our home made ones. Frying them twice, as we do, seems to do the trick, and of course the fat helps. My meter was a great help with this. So happy about this. Grains are the worst for me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well as you know we have to adapt. I couldn't control my BG during the night and also my carb ratios were basically maxed out. The pump being more efficient in delivering insulin has solved this. Also the dawn phenomenon that created the high BG's in the early hours of the morning has completely gone owing to the fact that insulin delivery is programmable by the hour and or less. It does mean more woek on your own part as your body changes all the time so once your basal pattern has been sussed a few weeks down the line you find that you need to do further basal tests to adust and correct etc. Yes a hell of a lot of work and although it is a pain in the rear i wouldn't want to be without it my HbA1c before the pump was 8.5 or so and now I'm 6.5 with the great chance of it getting better still.

Regarding wearing the pump it doesn't bother me one bit, it comes off twice a day when i have a shower and every three days for 3 or 4 minutes if that when i do a set change. This is filling and replacing the insulin reservoir, tubing and canular. Easy done believe me.

I wear the pump on a lanyard around my neck duringvthe day but sometimes clip it on the inside of the opening in my polo shirt. At night i usually put it in a spiebelt or just clip it to the waistband of my underwear. Lying lon it isn't a problem especially when its in the diabetic spiebelt ( this has a button hole which you pass the canular through)

Excellent bit of kit, nearly forgot i take less than 50% of Basal insulin now(Background insulin) thanks tobthe pumps efficiency.

Regards

Martin

As you say adapt and get on with it!

So glad it's going ok for you now and your hba1c is now near normal levels. Ain't nowt worse than fluctuating blood glucose levels!

Best wishes, going to bed now for my full time job.
I couldn't have done this five years ago!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I sometimes make sweat potatoes chips as amazingly sweat potatoes have fewer carbs than normal potatoes due to being higher fibre.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

Tannith

BANNED
So, not a lot involving chips? B****r! I really miss them. If there is one thing that would make me fall off the lchf wagon its chips.

I asked because I have seen some posts about other ways ( not lchf) of bringing down a hbalc on a permanent basis, but have not seen any posts about how exactly its done. When dx I was told that t2d was progressive and my gp a few days ago told me I would be on increasing medication for the rest of my life. Then she noticed my latest hba1c of 39 and said the metformin was working well!

The lchf seems to be the only way that really does halt t2d. I really wish it wasnt. I want to eat chips. I dont want to go blind or lose my feet but I still want to eat chips. If a way comes out tomorrow that does the same job but without the lchf I would be on it like a shot. And I have no doubt that one day there will be another way, and we will all be saying what fools we were to believe this rubbish. But at the moment it seems the best we have.

In answer to the original question in this thread, I have lost over 30 kgs since june. Lchf, not counting calories, just carbs. I have been overweight/obese most of my adult life. So, for me, yes, its calories from carbs that made me fat.

Edited by moderator for offensive language
The Newcastle diet brings down hba1c on a permanent basis, provided you have not been T2 for more than about 4 years - ie long enough for the pancreatic cells to die. It involves losing approx 15% of your weight using any diet you like, which you may already have done on your lchf.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The Newcastle diet brings down hba1c on a permanent basis, provided you have not been T2 for more than about 4 years - ie long enough for the pancreatic cells to die. It involves losing approx 15% of your weight using any diet you like, which you may already have done on your lchf.
The results for the second phase ND studies will not be released until December, saying that ND will bring "Permanent" results is premature and smacks of 'Cure'

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Didnt work for me. I was 101kgs when dx in june this year. I used lchf and was 80kgs by September. That is more than 15%. Unfortunately, still diabetic. A messy incident with some scones proves that. But my hbalc is now 39, I feel much better and would not go back to my old way of eating.

As guzzler has said, its far too early to say that the ND is a "cure". I really hope that it can work for many people, but it cannot be a cure or it would work for everyone. I suppose a lot depends on the root cause of your own particular t2d. This disease runs free in my family, along with many other autoimmune disorders, so it may be that I was "preprogrammed" to always have it, just like my hypothyroidism.

I think that vlc short shocks are great. They get the hbalc down and give you a boost to get on with it, but if everyone goes into it thinking the t2d will disappear they will be disappointed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am afraid I am a bit if an old tart and go for any chip. Even the ugly ones.

I do not have chips any more but after reading about the industrial sludge they call cooking oil I switched back to cooking chips in good old fashioned lard and two things happened. One was that the family commented that the chips were lovely and I found that the kitchen cupboard doors were not coated in a fine layer of grease. I have tried twice cooked basmati rice but not chips so I will be interested in your findings. Good luck.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1
S

serenity648

I do not have chips any more but after reading about the industrial sludge they call cooking oil I switched back to cooking chips in good old fashioned lard and two things happened. One was that the family commented that the chips were lovely and I found that the kitchen cupboard doors were not coated in a fine layer of grease. I have tried twice cooked basmati rice but not chips so I will be interested in your findings. Good luck.
I would be interested to know if you react differently to chips cooked in lard versus chips cooked in cooking oil.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I so much don't want to answer this mate,
And there is a but coming along any time now........

Hi Martin,

......but, whilst it is true we do need some carbs, if you need control of whichever type or condition, it's depends on your intolerance to those carbs.

For example, type one need carbs, how many is debatable.
Type two need to reduce the amount of carbs eaten. Debatable
Prediabetics need to cut back on carbs. Debatable
Type 3c, I'm not going there!

If you have Hypoglycaemia, or other metabolic conditions the carbs should be severely cut back because our pancreas works fine!

I could go on but these are a few examples.

If a dietician insisted I eat carbs, as been suggested to me, I would be dead from hyperinsulinaemia and severe symptoms.

One size does not fit all, and this is why, certain information should be treated with caution about how we are treated.

We agree about many things but this can be so confusing to newbies, when offering advice about carbs.

Hope I've tried to explain it without sounding like the low carb police!!
I agree with everything said but have an alternative vision of your paragraph:

"We agree about many things but this can be so confusing to newbies, when offering advice about carbs"

My context is that reducing carbs has not been shown to do damage physically, even for elite athletic performance, I have only noted positive declines in fbg, HbA1c and fat body mass when lower carbing. I accept that mental acceptance of reduction can be a problem whilst sugar adapted or confronted with a previous staples, and that for type 1's it can be technically a dangerous tight rope in terms of management.

Reducing carbs / sugar intake in general back to pre 70's levels, I would love to see. I have changed some of my views based on others postings, so my question is apart from social and mental aspects to lowering carbs for Type 2's, what are the downsides of reduction.