Today diabetes did not stop me

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread is featured in the latest promotional email from diabetes.co.uk -- congratulations Diakat!

Reactions: mytype1.life

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say Diabetes has not stopped me doing anything since diagnosis, nearly 15 years ago, I have
- been trekking in the Himalayas
- sailed across the channel
- spent a week doing Via Feratta in Italy
- tracked Gorillas in Uganda
- built houses in Ghana
- skydived
- canoed down the Wye
- found a lovely man to spend my life with
- changed jobs multiple times
- walked up volcanoes in South America
- tasted amazing food and wine
- written a blog
- done an Open University course
You need to get out more!!!!!!!!:):):)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
What a great thread Diakat!
Cheerfulness reigns!
I’m a certified scuba diver and have seen large and small underwater wonders. Totally glorious.
I’ve lived and worked in sub-Saharan Africa and ridden in the bush with a local village head, been to a real durbar, travelled by myself and stopped in the market to gossip with the traders.
I have two wonderful daughters and two great grandsons.
I spent tonight volunteering at a Festival.
I walk in the woods, swim in the (when it’s warm) sea, enjoy the company of good friends and dance if the music’s good.
And all with T1 - and I’m still here after 48 years of it, and plan to be for a long time yet.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm thinking of starting a cult.
I just need to polish up on the charisma bit and my followers will do my bidding.
They'll be required to lie on the floor and talk to me.
This will cost them a third of their income and will cure them of every known disease .... if they have enough faith.
If their faith isn't strong enough they will have to pay more.
I will be known as Axminster fluff.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just need to polish up on the charisma bit and my followers will do my bidding.
This will cost them a third of their income and will cure them of every known disease .... if they have enough faith.
Oh great one speak more to me.
Together we shall rid this world of this vile ailment known as diabetes.
Due you do contactless?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I stopped pretending that "one chocolate bar won't hurt" - once I collected all the chocolate in the house up and gave it to a friend, I ended up giving her the exercise bike I couldn't use as well ;-)

I live as close to 100% on Huel as you can reasonably get, with a small amount of fruit to change the flavour. I only drink sugar free pop, except for Wednesdays when I meet friends for a cuppa (only time I have milk). I snack on nuts or Bombay mix. Because neuropathy and fatigue limit me as far as movement is concerned, I've reduced my calories per day to suit.

I won't lie: it helps that when I was ill in 2012 I lost my joy in food (I'd previously been an enthusiastic cook) - I'm often not even aware of being hungry and I'm not a stranger to "ooh... 4.2 - I suppose I ought to eat something".

Well done!

You are an inspiration! I'm hoping for a HbA1c improvement in December but doubt it will be anywhere near yours!!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What a great thread Diakat!
Cheerfulness reigns!
I’m a certified scuba diver and have seen large and small underwater wonders. Totally glorious.
I’ve lived and worked in sub-Saharan Africa and ridden in the bush with a local village head, been to a real durbar, travelled by myself and stopped in the market to gossip with the traders.
I have two wonderful daughters and two great grandsons.
I spent tonight volunteering at a Festival.
I walk in the woods, swim in the (when it’s warm) sea, enjoy the company of good friends and dance if the music’s good.
And all with T1 - and I’m still here after 48 years of it, and plan to be for a long time yet.
That's the sort of thing I was after @Fairygodmother and @helensaramay , we need the newbies to see that we can live full lives without too much fear and still be here beyond 30!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to Macdonalds for the first time since I was diagnosed with T1. chicken legend whith the french fries and a cup of tea.

Took my insulin and there was not much blood sugar rise from pre meal and the 2 and 3 hour readings I took, 5mmol, 6mmol and a nice 6.7 before dipping back to 5.4 just before my tea.

Nowt exciting but it's a first for me. We only went because it's the school holidays and our kitchen is being refitted so making food at home is a no go at the mo.

Vhm1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
T1 didn't stop me from doing anything today. Overall, maybe I've given up eating a few things I ate before, but even then, not many and not often. So I can't even say T1 stopped me from eating something; probably not. Overall, day to day, T1 doesn't stop me from doing anything. If I stop, it's me stopping me.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Best of luck with that. I had a go a few years ago but I think the marketing was a bit off, called myself Nylon Rug.

....today I went to work. That's OK though, rather enjoyed it. I put some skirting boards on and hung some doors. As my mate unkindly said, 'as one door opens, another one doesn't.'

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes has not stopped me from competing in strongman events (narrowly missing out from qualifying for Britain's Strongest man) returning to the gym again at 47yrs old, doing Aikido for a number of years, walking my dogs up the old man of Coniston, or competing in my first powerlifting competition. Even on the days when for no good reason my sugars have decided that they will be over 30, I will still carry on. it definitely hasn't stopped me from living my life as I chose.

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its good to take time to think about the benefits of taking more care about everyday things. For me, simply eating only good stuff and not just shovelling in any old rubbish has meant losing over 4 stones in weight. We all know how hard dieting is, but this was effortless. Exercise has been much easier and therefore it has been done regularly. Feeling and being fitter is wonderful. With the certainty that even simple changes can really make a big difference comes reason to get up in the mornings, to be a useful part of my grand childrens lives and so on. All a bit better than what I was thinking the day I was diagnosed!

Reactions: mytype1.life

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's the sort of thing I was after @Fairygodmother and @helensaramay , we need the newbies to see that we can live full lives without too much fear and still be here beyond 30!

True, we can. I left out that I've had a family-embarrassing hypo on the steps of a bhuddist temple, had another at work and in uninhibited low mode asked the paramedics if they were the ones who'd posed naked on the calendar (yes, I mixed them up with the firefighters). You have to forgive yourself, and see yourself as a blessed source of entertainment.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
True, we can. I left out that I've had a family-embarrassing hypo on the steps of a bhuddist temple, had another at work and in uninhibited low mode asked the paramedics if they were the ones who'd posed naked on the calendar (yes, I mixed them up with the firefighters). You have to forgive yourself, and see yourself as a blessed source of entertainment.
As long as they reacted positively (the paramedics, I wouldn't try that line in the Buddhist monks...)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As long as they reacted positively (the paramedics, I wouldn't try that line in the Buddhist monks...)

The paramedics were slightly confused at first, not quite sure how to reply, but then they found it funny while striving to remain professional.

Reactions: Diakat