Someone else who thinks like me..

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't agree more @zand. But I'm focusing on causes, not what aggravates T2 diabetes as a pre-existing medical condition. Moderating your carb intake does help with the managing of diabetes, both T1 and T2.
Well I have always thought (and yes it's just my opinion) that Steve Redgrave proves you can't outrun (or out train) a bad diet. By 'bad' in his case I mean simply more food (calories) than his body was designed to take. It enabled him to train so very hard and be a massive success but at what cost?

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think a proverbial hand grenade was thrown in by the OP, which has made for some interesting passionate comments to be posted, why is everyone on the forum getting a little tetchy, maybe its the time of year or is there a full moon due, I think a few of us need to take chill pills and embrace the facts that we are all different but we all have one common goal which is to live a normal a life as we can with diabetes and not let it run our lives.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Steve Redgrave proves you can't outrun (or out train) a bad diet.
We can't just assume that he became diabetic because of his diet though... The cause may well have been his age, it may have been genetics, or it may well have been down to medication he took. Who knows?

To say that Steve Redgrave became diabetic because of his diet is a very bold and unverifiable claim @zand. For all we know it could have been a combination of multiple factors; and diet may not have been involved in that combo at all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't just assume that he became diabetic because of his diet though... The cause may well have been his age, it may have been genetics, or it may well have been down to medication he took. Who knows?

To say that Steve Redgrave became diabetic because of his diet is a very bold and unverifiable claim @zand. For all we know it could have been a combination of multiple factors; and diet may not have been involved in that combo at all.

In an interview (it was posted on the forum sometime ago) he and his medical team blamed the diet, which was an enormous amount of calories and carbs. Once he had been diagnosed the juggling they had to do with his injected insulin doses and his diet was horrendous.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In an interview (it was posted on the forum sometime ago) he and his medical team blamed the diet, which was an enormous amount of calories and carbs. Once he had been diagnosed the juggling they had to do with his injected insulin doses and his diet was horrendous.
I stand corrected then:)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will just throw this into the debate.

Wether it is genetics, diet, lifestyle, or any other cause, the bottom line is if you are susceptible to a condition that has a disposition to be asymptotic to metabolic conditions. Then it is literally what you put down your throat and how your body copes with it!

Why? Maybe a cause needs to be learned but it is the treatment that everyone is really interested in.

And to finish,
Insulin in too much of a quantity can be fatal, but everyone needs it!
It is the distinction between enough and too much!

One man's poison is another man's cure! (Or something similar!)

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Poison...mmm. a good buzzword. I can't go into a petrol station without looking at the Turkish delights, Bounty's and Snickers bars. The reason why I don't leave with them walking back to the van is in my mind I label them as poison...so yes, poison is a good word..no, infact a great word.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
But one thing you can (tentatively) take out of the equation is lack of excercise.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
But one thing you can (tentatively) take out of the equation is lack of excercise.

But possibly not too much exercise. Logically, that was the cause of his diabetes - because it required far too many calories, many of which were from carbs. Less exercise, less carb requirements (in his special case)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Poison...mmm. a good buzzword. I can't go into a petrol station without looking at the Turkish delights, Bounty's and Snickers bars. The reason why I don't leave with them walking back to the van is in my mind I label them as poison...so yes, poison is a good word..no, infact a great word.
@Robbieswan, there is a lot more to carbohydrates than just sweets. Carrots are carbs too, would you compare them to a Bounty?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But possibly not too much exercise. Logically, that was the cause of his diabetes - because it required far too many calories, many of which were from carbs. Less exercise, less carb requirements (in his special case)
Sorry, I meant the inference that too little excercise was a factor. I take your point about too much.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So, let me get this straight. Carbs cause type 2 diabetes... Why am I type 1 then? And yes I know it's my ridiculous immune system attacking my beta cells and my beta cells being pathetic and not fighting back. :meh:

Anyway, I digress. I come from a family of carb monsters. Every day, for every meal we would eat carbs in one form or another. Why am I not type 2 diabetic?!

Probably for the same reasons that some obese people never develope T2 in that we just don't know.

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, let me get this straight. Carbs cause type 2 diabetes... Why am I type 1 then? And yes I know it's my ridiculous immune system attacking my beta cells and my beta cells being pathetic and not fighting back. :meh:

Anyway, I digress. I come from a family of carb monsters. Every day, for every meal we would eat carbs in one form or another. Why am I not type 2 diabetic?!

You've just answered your own question. I have a type 1 friend and one day I sat and watched her a very large bag of cinder toffee 1 piece after another. I said surely as a diabetic you aren't supposed to eat that much sugar. Oh no says she I just adjust the amount of insulin that I take.

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recently told off for saying I looked on some foodstuffs as "poison".
Seems I'm not the only one..

https://www.dietdoctor.com/sleight-of-hand

this line especially stood out to me..

"“It’s a curse”. I smiled. “It’s rooted in fear. I’m terrified of going back to that place of hunger and sickness and pain and obesity. When I see carbs, I see all those things"
Carbs are not poison. They are deemed an essential food group. Granted a modern diet full of junk food, sugar and processed **** is not going to do too much for your health and won't kill you directly. If you gorge on that type of food you become obese and that does endanger your health. But carbs themselves are fine. I eat home made wholemeal.bread, porridge, fruit, sometimes brown rice and potatoes too. I don't and never have, eat junk food. I don't eat and never really have eaten much at all in the way of crisps biscuits sweets chocolate etc. I'm not and never have been overweight. I don't and never have had any fatty liver disease. Please tell me how my carb intake has 'given me diabetes'? Intrigued at the logic you are using here!

Reactions: GrantGam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbs are not poison. They are deemed an essential food group. Granted a modern diet full of junk food, sugar and processed **** is not going to do too much for your health and won't kill you directly. If you gorge on that type of food you become obese and that does endanger your health. But carbs themselves are fine. I eat home made wholemeal.bread, porridge, fruit, sometimes brown rice and potatoes too. I don't and never have, eat junk food. I don't eat and never really have eaten much at all in the way of crisps biscuits sweets chocolate etc. I'm not and never have been overweight. I don't and never have had any fatty liver disease. Please tell me how my carb intake has 'given me diabetes'? Intrigued at the logic you are using here!

There is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. There are essentials protein and fats and micronutrients etc but no carb is essential. That is not to say there shouldn't be carbs in our diet or that there are no healthier foods like vegetables which are carb free.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are deemed an essential food group
There are no essential carbohydrates.. as for how your carbohydrate intake has contributed to your Type 2 I have no idea.. I do know for me that excessive carbohydrate consumption led to insulin resistance which led to weight gain and Type 2. Once I gave up carbs weight went down and Type 2 went into remission. Voila.