What diet does everyone follow

Yvette1978

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon so i have being told i need to loose some weight to help my diabetes i can not do high carb low fat as it made me ill the last time i tried it what are other people suggestions at the moment i am calorie counting with an app called nutracheck but has anyone had results with other diets. Thank you

Reactions: hankjam

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, the diet I want to follow is not the diet my body wants to follow. Doctor says not eat any more than 100g of carbs per day. My body has a very dramatic way of telling me NO.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I limit carbs to around 50g (+/-15g), moderate fat and protein with some intermittant fasting ( al la 5;2 principles)

Reactions: Robbieswan

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow a low carb, high fat, normal protein diet. 30g carbs on a typical day (not every day is typical!)

When I was trying to lose weight I counted calories (around 1,200) but kept the carbs low, ate my normal amounts of protein, and made up the rest with fats.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the last year I have tried each of the following, usually for several weeks or months:
- intermittent fasting (Warrior Fast, one meal a day)
- 2-3 meals a day at under 20g carbs a day
- very low carb free feeding (eating when hungry)
- gluten free eating with approx 20-70g carbs a day, usually nearer 20g

Am currently entering another <20g phase, but who knows where the next few months will take me.

Stops me getting bored. Or complacent. Or stuck in a rut.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I don't measure micros anymore but probably no more than 70g of carbs a day. so lo carb for me.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I follow an ultra low carb ketogenic way of eating ... fewer than 20g of carbs per day. It's not really a diet as it's for life.

What he said ^^^^^

I'm ten years in (eight stones lighter) and constantly adjusting and tweaking due to blo*dy insulin resistance but I'm less than 20g of carbs a day and that's from the cream in my bucket of coffee a day habit. I occasionally take my eye off the ball and although still ultra low carb, I simply let food in that I know puts weight on me such as nuts, seeds and sweet substitutes.
There are some pictures of me volunteering at the Public Health Collaboration conference this year and it's clear to see that was one such time. Those pictures and the lectures (especially Ivors) have turned me round and I'm thinner again and have kept an eye on my diet ever since.

I eat once a day and that's usually protein such as lamb ribs or cold meat with butter and salt. Occasionally I'll have a mouthful of green veg. No proper hunger (I'm a carb addict) no cravings and absolute control, diabetes set me free.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... high carb low fat....

Welcome to the forum!

Do you mean the opposite, i.e. Low-Carb High-Fat? I assume so, but just wanted to make sure. If for some reason you actually tried high-carb low-fat, I would not be surprised if that made you ill!

If in fact you tried LCHF, could you be more specific about how it made you ill? That diet is not for everyone. However it worked for me (see signature below) and I encourage Type 2s to consider trying it because it has helped a lot of people.

This forum is an excellent source of advice.

Hotpepper20000

So for me this is a way of eating for life. Even after losing 50 pounds I continue. I eat between 30-80g of crabs from above ground vegetables and a few berries. I don't eat grains and legumes.
It is the the way I feel the best, and have no desire to return to brain fog and all the aches and pains I had before.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've lost a fair chunk of fat and muscle through pretty low carb and high fat, though more low carb than high fat if honest. Recently cutting back on dairy products, cheese and double cream as my lipid profile is fairly bonkers and probably eating more nuts and fish.
Bread, cakes, pasta, rice and the like are a thing of the past in my cookbook.
Wish you well.
Hj

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another one on 20g or less of carbs a day, with plenty of fats. Has really helped get blood sugars under control and I’ve lost 5 stone.

This is definitely for life.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I viewed this presentation by Zoe Harcombe earlier today about the theory of CICO (Calories in, calories out). The theory is definitely flawed.

S

serenity648

Good afternoon so i have being told i need to loose some weight to help my diabetes i can not do high carb low fat as it made me ill the last time i tried it what are other people suggestions at the moment i am calorie counting with an app called nutracheck but has anyone had results with other diets. Thank you

are you on any diabetic medication, as that can influence diet choices.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Shows how different we are. For me it all depends on where the carbs come from.
As long a second it's from above ground veggies I'm good. But I certainly don't have 80g every day.

I was being silly, and referring to your CRABS, not how many carbs you eat. ;)

Annabel_Eve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for me this is a way of eating for life. Even after losing 50 pounds I continue. I eat between 30-80g of crabs from above ground vegetables and a few berries. I don't eat grains and legumes.
It is the the way I feel the best, and have no desire to return to brain fog and all the aches and pains I had before.

30-80g of crabs!!I must try that!! :)