To find foods that spike readings

HappyMondays

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To find foods that spike readings do you test 2 hrs after? because seen some testing after an hour? pros and cons please you loverly lot

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
To be honest I've never understood the one hour test so just do the two hour test.

Reactions: HappyMondays

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested before starting to eat and two hours after, and anything which increased my levels by 2 or more was analyzed and the usual suspects reduced or eliminated.
I quickly got down to after meal levels of 8mmol/l and eased up on the testing as I could see what to eat - the same things which allowed me to lose weight when I did full time low carbing - easy then, just stuck to the menu and it has been plain sailing ever since.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To find foods that spike readings do you test 2 hrs after? because seen some testing after an hour? pros and cons please you loverly lot

Immediately before and 2 hours after first bite is the general advice. The 2 hours is because we only have target guidance for this time. However, depending on what you have eaten this will not be your peak levels. We can peak at any time between approximately 30 minutes and approximately 3 hours, sometimes even later than this. It is entirely up to you when you test.

Personally I like to know how long my levels have been higher than my base level, so I test at 2 hours and then 2.5 hours and maybe also 3 hours.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With 1 hour or 2 hour testing, we are trying to catch the peak or the trend...but as you can see with this example, both the 1 hour or 2 hour would have missed the peak...that is the beauty of Freestyle Libre

upload_2017-11-6_20-56-45.png

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before eating and again 2 hours after.
When I’ve had an unexpected result ( be that a spike or the lack of a spike) and the food is something Ive particularly wanted to include in my diet, then Ive retested using 1,2 and 3 hour tests to get a better picture tho Ive not had to do that very often

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes you know you won't be able to test at 2 hours, but still want to know how things are going, so a 1 hour test will have to do. At least that was our approach, with maximum levels set at 1 hour: 7mol/L, 2 hours: 6mol/L After several weeks of regular testing, James found that it was actually all quite easy: eat stuff with sugars/carbs in them (in excess of what is in most vegetables) and blood sugars will go up. Avoid carbs and blood sugars stay the same or, sometimes go down a little. No more testing and HbA1c's have remained in the lower 30's.
Sally

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If I'm eating something brand new to me or something I haven't had for a very long time - I'll test before I eat / drink then test at an hour, two hours and then keep on testing at 30 minute intervals until I'm down to where I started - but that is very rare. It means I can chose whether to add that food item in to my menu plan more often or cut it out completely.

Normally I just test before I eat and at two hours. However if the two hour test doesn't give me the result I'm expecting then I'll wash my hands again and re-test - if I still get the unexpected result I'll carry on testing at 30 minute intervals until I'm back to where I started. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Is it possible the Libre has a delay in real-time of when the spike actually happened?

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, if you tested at 1-2 hours you would still see a BG level that was undesirable...

a high carb buffet breaky sounds great though....what did you have...:)

Reactions: TIANDB

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible the Libre has a delay in real-time of when the spike actually happened?

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, if you tested at 1-2 hours you would still see a BG level that was undesirable...

a high carb buffet breaky sounds great though....what did you have...:)

A delay is possible. But I think with finger pricking it would be difficult to time it to catch the spike. So the 2 hour is simply to gauge if we have return to baseline...

It was the last day of my libre sensor, so I wanted to see how high a "normal" breakfast would go. It was basically all rice, noodles, toast, pastries etc. what I used to eat. But I find that I don't enjoy it as I use to...and of course the crash that came later. which triggered a false hypo...

Reactions: novorapidboi26

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Test as you start to eat, then test at one hour, then again at 2 hours. At 1 hour you will catch the spike, so anything more than a 2 point rise is probably not good to eat. At 2 hours you should be back to your starting number, or close to it.

Reactions: JTL