Newly diagnosed, scared and confused

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a sample of the food my wonderful wife and daughters deliver (I do the washing up and endless drinks). I can cope with parsnips and carrots. The pictures do not convey the flavours in the food with the spicing. The apple and cinnamon pie has an almond meal crust.

View attachment 24431
View attachment 24432 View attachment 24433 View attachment 24434 View attachment 24435 View attachment 24436 View attachment 24432 View attachment 24437 View attachment 24438 View attachment 24439 View attachment 24440

Gosh your are lucky! All this fantastically yummy food make me feel hungry again although I just gobbled up my quick lunch of salad and a boiled egg with some smoked salmon. Thank you for posting the pictures, that give me lots of ideas for my dinners that I still struggle to find. I can't believe a PWD can still eat so well! At the moment I keep carrots, parsnips ( oh yes definitely!) and pumpkin at bay ( they are too sweet aren't they?). Got to get back to work now..duh..

Reactions: Prem51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi now you are over the initial shock of having diabetes and you have joined here you will find that it is not such a scary thing and that you can control it. Your nurse told you the right thing to lower your carbs unfortunately they are probably what we liked best before diabetes like bread pasta rice and sweet stuff but they are what are most likely to raise your glucose levels.
Controlling diabetes is really all about trial and error with foods we are all different and can eat different things if you really feel you do not want to test then the best thing you can do is lower or cut out the starchy carbs sweet stuff and to much fruit as you were only just in diabetic levels that will help a lot . If you decide to test then this is the meter that most here use because the trips are the cheapest

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nything green together : cucumber, celery, kiwi, broccoli, green pepper bells, kales...etc..with half a lemon and bit of ginger if I feel like. Or anything orange like carrots, pumpkin, yellow pepper bells, an apple
No reason why you cannot still have the green veggies juiced or a smoothie. One of the members here loves green smoothies and has given her recipes here for them I can't remember who it is but hopefully she will see this thread and come along
I will do few odd pricking that's not too bad, but a few times a day?? Everyday?? I don't know. That's why I am delaying looking into meter issue :) , and find excuses not to have to buy one :) . I did have a quick look at the Freestyle Libre, seems the ongoing cost is sth like £50 for every 2 weeks? Ouch! Even I don't drink I still can't afford that. Probably at the end of the day, my fingers will have to suffer instead of my purse! Sad sad sad
If you decide to test and it is your choice to or not this is the link for the meter most use here as the strips are the cheapest.I think the strips are about £7/8 for 50.........https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/......

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi now you are over the initial shock of having diabetes and you have joined here you will find that it is not such a scary thing and that you can control it. Your nurse told you the right thing to lower your carbs unfortunately they are probably what we liked best before diabetes like bread pasta rice and sweet stuff but they are what are most likely to raise your glucose levels.
Controlling diabetes is really all about trial and error with foods we are all different and can eat different things if you really feel you do not want to test then the best thing you can do is lower or cut out the starchy carbs sweet stuff and to much fruit as you were only just in diabetic levels that will help a lot . If you decide to test then this is the meter that most here use because the trips are the cheapest

Thank you Pinkorchid. I am still up and down emotionally but trying to keep my chin up. Seeing how many people here being so positive really helps, but reading about the disease and its complications dampens my spirit again :(
It's been hard of course, nothing new about it, but I am doing okay at the moment. I cut out most of carbs in my meal which is a pain because I do love carbs, a lot of it, so do all kind of fruit. I bought a papaya yesterday, and a melon, but haven't cut them yet. I know melon is bad for bg, but couldn't help not to get it. What about papaya? A quick search online I found papaya is good for bg and I find it difficult to believe. Any idea? And can you send info/name of the meter you say most of you use please. I will get one in good time, after the holiday perhaps.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do go for the Code Free here are some discount codes for strips if you buy in bulk, you can use them more than once:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
Oh sorry, I just asked you to send the link and now I see this. Many thanks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh sorry, I just asked you to send the link and now I see this. Many thanks.
And don’t forget to tick the box to say you have Diabetes, then you won’t get charged VAT

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best tip I could give is stop the white bread, rice and pasta right away and maybe swap potatoes for the sweet ones...cauliflower rice is a good alternative and my favourite discovery is a spiraliza in which I use to turn courgettes into courgetti and thus no more need for normal spaghetti pasta
I still find me convincing myself that bits of whole meal pasta, or a pitta won't do too much damage.. :( for I love carbs and use to have lots of it. A sudden change really upsets me. But I am trying and will get better with time..

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the moment I’m having a lot of full fat Greek yoghurt, nuts to snack on and the odd protein shake.. also considering doing some kind of resistance weight training to help build muscle... prior to diagnosis I lost around 10 pounds... I’ve noticed since the diet change and start of medication that the weight loss has stopped and I’m hovering around the 9st 13 mark... my aim, once I get the diabetes under control, is to try and put back on what I’ve lost...
Oh no that's a lot of weight to loose!! I am glad that it stopped now. Is it why you go for full fat yoghurt? I thought anything full fat is a no no?? I had a crave for yoghurt yesterday so I bought a low fat one but only dare to have a few spoons . I hope you will soon get your bg under control and gain weight again. I do worry that I will loose weight too with the low carbs diet because I don't gain weigh easily at all.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick search online I found papaya is good for bg
The Carbs and Cals book says Papaya is 4g of carbs in a 80g serving so not to high...I would eat it ... and not as high as apples which can be 10gms and lots of other fruit are much higher. As well as berries I do eat clemetines satsumas plums and kiwis. they are the lower end of the carbs scale I am more moderate carbs but of course many here who are very low carb would not eat them

Reactions: Red_river_

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no that's a lot of weight to loose!! I am glad that it stopped now. Is it why you go for full fat yoghurt? I thought anything full fat is a no no?? I had a crave for yoghurt yesterday so I bought a low fat one but only dare to have a few spoons . I hope you will soon get your bg under control and gain weight again. I do worry that I will loose weight too with the low carbs diet because I don't gain weigh easily at all.

A tip for you Low fat normally means added sugar it is likely to be higher in carbs than a full fat one. So as I am on a low carb diet I eat full fat greek yoghurt. Check out the food labels to see what carbs are in it i.e. the detailed stuff NOT what bit on the front. I generally only buy food that is under 5g of carb per 100g.

Once I have lost the weight that I want to then I'll up the fat content of my diet.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still find me convincing myself that bits of whole meal pasta, or a pitta won't do too much damage.. :(

I thought the same thing and it was hard at the beginning. Over time, I have got used to it.

I have been using several pasta substitutes. Spiralized celeriac and spiralized courgettes as a substitute for spaghetti. Thinly sliced aubergines or butternut squash as a substitute for lasagna. We also tried something called "spaghetti squash" which is a strange squash full of stringy, spaghetti-like stuff but my wife and I found it disgusting (I don't know if anyone else has had better luck).

A couple of times I have baked a huge lasagna with sliced butternut squash, then cut it into portions and put them in the freezer. It is rather rich-tasting so good for a winter evening I guess.

None of these pasta substitutes taste like actual pasta. They have their own, interesting taste. But they can be substituted into a lot of recipes where you would normally use pasta.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought the same thing and it was hard at the beginning. Over time, I have got used to it.

I have been using several pasta substitutes. Spiralized celeriac and spiralized courgettes as a substitute for spaghetti. Thinly sliced aubergines or butternut squash as a substitute for lasagna. We also tried something called "spaghetti squash" which is a strange squash full of stringy, spaghetti-like stuff but my wife and I found it disgusting (I don't know if anyone else has had better luck).

A couple of times I have baked a huge lasagna with sliced butternut squash, then cut it into portions and put them in the freezer. It is rather rich-tasting so good for a winter evening I guess.

None of these pasta substitutes taste like actual pasta. They have their own, interesting taste. But they can be substituted into a lot of recipes where you would normally use pasta.
We actually prefer ‘lasagne’ made with slices of butternut squash now :hungry:
I must look out for spaghetti squash!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It is strange stuff. Maybe we got a duff batch or something, I hope others had better luck.

How-To-Make-Spaghetti-Squash-7.jpg

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
We actually prefer ‘lasagne’ made with slices of butternut squash now :hungry:

We had butternut squash lasagne around a month ago, there were no left overs after this meal
13.JPG

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a sample of the food my wonderful wife and daughters deliver (I do the washing up and endless drinks). I can cope with parsnips and carrots. The pictures do not convey the flavours in the food with the spicing. The apple and cinnamon pie has an almond meal crust.

View attachment 24431
View attachment 24432 View attachment 24433 View attachment 24434 View attachment 24435 View attachment 24436 View attachment 24432 View attachment 24437 View attachment 24438 View attachment 24439 View attachment 24440
they are making me hungry. lovely cooking and excellent pics

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you know how many eggs one can have a day? It is said eggs are not so good if you have high cholesterol is that right?

Eggs are no longer thought to have any effect on your cholesterol, replacing toast with an egg is likely to lower your cholesterol. (It has also been shown that high total cholesterol is not harmful to anyway.) Personly I think more than 6 eggs a day may be too many....

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is strange stuff. Maybe we got a duff batch or something, I hope others had better luck.

How-To-Make-Spaghetti-Squash-7.jpg
I do like butternut squash. I sometimes cubed and roast them, with sweet potato, a dash of soy sauce and chopped chilli, served on top of couscous. Yum! But I can not imagine using squash instead of spaghetti. The shape might fool me but not the taste!

Reactions: Prem51 and Grateful