racediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great site. Thank you. Wish I could follow DBUK advice
Me 67yo male T2 for 21 years, on dialysis for 30 months waiting for kidney transplant.
Got all the usual diabetic troubles, ageing body cardio hypertension hypos bloods all mostly self-inflicted.
My problem is lifestyle. Wrong foods fry-ups, bacon sammies, KFC, BK, fish 'n' chips, etc Low activity, min sleep, stress and worst I've started smoking again, **** things are going to kill me if I don't get help.
Please don't tell me to use will-power - try will-power when you have the trots........ doesn't work for me either.

Craziest part is I know better. As I researcher to stop children getting T2 I should practice what I preach. Hope the transplant phone call comes before too late. Cheers

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Welcome to the forum,

Hope you manage to get things sorted for yourself, everyone on here is great, offer help and support if/when you need it, just ask away! Oh.. And hope that transplant call comes for you soon :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing is what you are calling 'wrong foods' are not always that wrong for some people. Specifically 'fry ups' are often credited as being horrifically bad because of the fat. But for some of us (and you will need to think and test if it works for you) then actually bacon, eggs and sausage (high meat content) actually help a lot with blood glucose control. But then if you add in fried bread, hash browns etc, it can be the carbohydrates rather than the fat that cause issues for diabetics. Have a read around low carb high fat diet, widely mentioned round here, It is certainly not a cure all, but works for many including myself.

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Welcome to the forum. It is good to see you but one teensy thing, it wasn't your fault. Best wishes for a not too long wait on that phone call.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. I totally agree with you that this is a great site. Best of luck with the transplant wait.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Welcome..

Why cant you follow DBUK advice??

If willpower is missing how do you do you see the rest of your life panning out?
I find it quite interesting thatin one breadth you say going back smoking and it will kill you, but in the next breadth -you know you are killing yourself and yet you are willing to take kidneys to keep living.. kidneys that could go to someone that doesnt drink, is young and doesnt abuse their body in anyway...
I find your statements interesting and wonder how you really feel about life and health and helping yourself???

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Here we go again, I smoke and yes that may just may kill me, but being T1 for 40 years now something else will get me before the smoking, if it does my time it up

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Obviously you must follow the diet advice for your kidneys, but as another poster has said fat isn't the problem for us but the carbs. So don't follow the traditional low-sugar/low-fat/low-salt mantra but go low-carb and higher fat but you must also be guided by kidney diet advice

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Here we go again, I smoke and yes that may just may kill me, but being T1 for 40 years now something else will get me before the smoking, if it does my time it up

Whoa, you put type 2 for 21months intitally and now type 1 for 40 years.. about 3 more than me.
Complications arent inevitable..... there are some at 50 years without complications...

Reactions: Crystalwand

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a type 1, at the age of 13 now 53, never a type 2, I think there has been a miss communication, life is funny T1, some days ps morning

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ donnellysdogs The OP is Type 2 for 21 years, Crystalwand a commentator is Type 1 for 40 years. That’s the problem of not putting an avatar on your profile, it’s easy to mix people up

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@ donnellysdogs The OP is Type 2 for 21 years, Crystalwand a commentator is Type 1 for 40 years. That’s the problem of not putting an avatar on your profile, it’s easy to mix people up

Thanks...

Reactions: Rachox

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Not having attack on smokers... I was interested why OP is in such a low position and what OP thinks he could to to self help... not necessarily smoking...

As for getting "expected coplications from T1 diabetes at 40 years" - it is not inevitable to get complications and / or all complications. I have on background spot of retinopathy and thats it. Some havent got anything...

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not having attack on smokers, sorry miss understood, as for a picture, I rather not thanks, personal reasons, but get the point

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not having attack on smokers, sorry miss understood, as for a picture, I rather not thanks, personal reasons, but get the point
No need for a real pic, a lot of people, including myself don’t. Just a picture to distinguish one poster from another avoids confusion IMO.

Reactions: donnellysdogs