It didnt sink in

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wanted to ask for advice as I am struggling with accepting my diabetes.

I was told in July that I am diabetic following GD that did not go away.
I was told this over the phone (GTT results were high) since then I have not seen anyone as I have changed doctors and will see a nurse mid December. When I found out I was depressed, then I joined here and ate low carb high fat and my bg were ok. That has lasted about a week....

Since then I have done nothing. In the back of my mind I feel guilty if I eat chocolate, carbs etc but on the other hand I do not think I have accepted that I have diabetes... Its as if its not me, its someone else... The ugly truth is that I need to snap out of this and get my health under control but cant seem to care enough!

Following my pregnancy I have also been diagnosed with arthritis and a prolapsed bladder. \This makes exercise extremely painful and embarrassing as well! I dont know where to start! I think I am getting depressed.

My HBA1C in October was 6.4%

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This 'numb' feeling you're having is a normal reaction to any diagnosis with a life changing condition. It takes time to come to terms and certainly won't happen overnight. Do not beat yourself up, you're having a normal reaction that is akin to loss. If you're low mood persists then come here for help, support and advice. Give yourself time, lass.
If you are still feeling this way there are things that your GP can help you with such as Talking Therapies or medication but for now you need to allow yourself time to wrap your head around this. Best wishes.

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This feeling is Normal I was diagnosed end of September and only now have started low carb and testing religiously. Keep reading this forum - honestly u will learn so much. I know i have xx

leahkian

Well first off all i am sorry you are a diabetic and have other health problems to. You are not the first and will not be the last that is finding it hard to accept they have diabetes, i got it when i was 3 so it is all i have been used to. My brother got it about 12 years ago and still thinks he is not a diabetic, which has put him at risk he will not go to the hospital to see the consultant. He also misses injection, has been rushed to hospital with hypos and now the hospital have told him that if he keeps signing himself out of hospital as soon as he is sorted that they are going to refuse his treatment. I do not think this will happen to you as yes it is a big shock when they tell you have diabetes but you have taken the first step by coming on this forum. You should ring your doctor and tell him how hard you are finding it and you would like to see a diabetic nurse sooner, he may send you to a hospital to see a diabetic nurse and then you can tell her every thing that is happening. Take a list of questions that you want to ask on some paper. Once you have seen diabetic nurse you will get a lot of information all at once which can be a shock but take your time and read it. If you are depressed which a lot of people are with diabetes go to your GP and tell him he may refer you to the local mental health team but some diabetic clinics have their own mental health worker. The thing is if you are stressed it can effect your blood sugars you can have chocolate but try just a bit a day till you see the nurse. It will get better once you no what you are doing but like you say you need to snap out of this which is hard to do so take one day at a time. You will have bad days with diabetes its just normal. Your GP can put you in contact with the well being team who will come out to your house and work out a exercise plan just for you and also offer advice on foods to eat. I went with the well being team and went from 107kg to 89kg in about 6 months and all my exercises were done in the house using a chair, they helped me with my diet but i was still allowed a treat or two every week( me and my son always have a iced finger every wed). The main thing is to eat healthy and just swap crisps to skips as these have lower cals. You have to take baby steps before you can walk and diabetes is the same. Think positive and the forum is great with people who want to help so do not feel alone as you can come on here and ask a question or just have a rant if that what you need. Good luck and keep posting

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Anfalas and welcome to the forum. Are you receiving any treatment for your depression? I have had periods of depression for over 50 years. Medication and/or talking therapy can help. When one is in a depressive episode it is difficult to care about what you eat. It is an effort just to motivate yourself to prepare a meal, and I found I was 'comfort eating' sweet sugary stuff, which also contributed to my T2 diabetes diagnosis.
I now stay on anti-depressant medication permanently as I don't want to go through all that mental pain and dark thoughts again until the meds take effect. If you are not receiving any treatment for your depression you need to speak to your GP. Take care.

Reactions: Glenmac

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Even if you see it coming it is a shock. I was overwhelmed too when I was first diagnosed back in September. I just thought I'd be unable to cope. But somehow I've managed to do okay since then. Taking charge of this illness was something that seemed to help me. Checking my glucose levels daily, and recording my meals gave me a sense of structure. Oddly, I've enjoyed eating more now. It has been fun exploring my food options, and learning what are better choices for me. Also finding this forum, and chatting witth everyone has helped too. There's loads of advice, but sometimes it is nice to have people to chat with who know where you're coming from. I'm sure you'll get things sorted, just don't be to hard on yourself. Also something I learned from this forum is, you can eat a small piece of dark chocolate (85% or higher is best.). I have a single square as a sort off reward, treat at the end of dinner. It is something I look forward too.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have got loads of good advise here already. But I just wanted to say that I haven’t been able to exercise much due to arthritis. I do try and walk more than I used to but that’s it. I’ve lost 4 stone since diagnosis by eating low carb and that has been beneficial to not only my blood sugars and blood pressure, but my arthritis too. Carrying less weight has improved my joints especially my feet and hips.

Reactions: Prem51

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I just wanted to say that 85% Dark Chocolate is fine and you do get used to the different taste. Do consider help from your local branch of Mind if you have one near you.

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have arthritis and type 2 diabetes and it certainly makes it much more difficult. I saw a great physio who gave me stretching and strengthening exercise that I do lying down and it has literally changed my life. I can exercise for the first time in 30 years.
But it's a huge shock. Your whole future is less certain than it was and I think it terrifying. Give yourself a little time to adjust to what it means for you.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Anfalas,Welcome to the forum! It is quite normal to feel confused and overwhelmed with the initial diagnosis.Most of us felt like that,and I feel you should have more support.It may help to speak to your new GP again,preferably face to face rather than a phone consultation,before December.You should mention your depression too.There is a section here on the site about questions to ask when diagnosed.There is also information for newly diagnosed type 2s.I wrote my questions down,and found that helped.Also having a friend with you, to give support.You will get control of this,but take things slowly at first.Its good to read around this site.You will get lots of help from those who have experienced your different problems.Take care and don't be afraid to ask for help.....it's all overwhelming........No one can be as bad as me on first visit to a new GP,newly diagnosed with type 2 from hospital.I got home and realised I hadn't even mentioned the diabetes at all to him.Hubby put me straight back into the car and off we went back to the surgery!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Confusion and denial after diagnosis, not to mention anger, are normal here. You're in good company and, from my own experience, this forum bunch know what they're talking about. My daughter-in-law also progressed to T2 from gestational diabetes and she was not best pleased. However, she is persevering in her own way and that's the way to go. You're in a good position to take control and Daisy's info which you were given is a good place to start reading. It's not like having a broken leg fixed and being your old self again, it's the beginning of the rest of your life, so take it easy. The forum is always here to help and all questions are welcome.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing you can do is more important than getting your blood glucose readings down - exercise is not at all vital - at least it was not for me. Once I had low blood glucose my joints stopped aching so I do exercise more now - but it is a result not a treatment.
You can eat high cocoa chocolate - Lidl has just got a new 81 percent one called Ecuadorian and you can eat lots of other things other than the bland and boring stuff such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nothing you can do is more important than getting your blood glucose readings down - exercise is not at all vital - at least it was not for me. Once I had low blood glucose my joints stopped aching so I do exercise more now - but it is a result not a treatment.
You can eat high cocoa chocolate - Lidl has just got a new 81 percent one called Ecuadorian and you can eat lots of other things other than the bland and boring stuff such as rice, pasta, bread and potatoes.
Yes that Lidl 81% is rather good. One of the best tasting ones I have tried.

ObscureMH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Anfalas,
Welcome to the forum. I was exactly the same as you when diagnosed in September. Didn't really take it all in. I'd second the advice to go back to the Dr with your partner or a friend, and get them to take a pad with questions and to take notes. My wife came with me for 2nd visit and that really helped. The support she has given me has been a massive help in accepting it.
Good luck and do keep posting. I've seen some incredible support given to people (and their loved ones) who are struggling.
Mark

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second @ObscureMH. I brought my wife to the appointment and it was just about essential as I am not sure I could have "kept it together" otherwise. The doctor, who is also her doctor, saw her walk in and said: "I see you brought the artillery!" Strangely enough his comment helped put us at ease. The consultation was much better with her there, even though she didn't say much. It also helped afterwards, to help remember everything that was said.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wanted to ask for advice as I am struggling with accepting my diabetes.

I was told in July that I am diabetic following GD that did not go away.
I was told this over the phone (GTT results were high) since then I have not seen anyone as I have changed doctors and will see a nurse mid December. When I found out I was depressed, then I joined here and ate low carb high fat and my bg were ok. That has lasted about a week....

Since then I have done nothing. In the back of my mind I feel guilty if I eat chocolate, carbs etc but on the other hand I do not think I have accepted that I have diabetes... Its as if its not me, its someone else... The ugly truth is that I need to snap out of this and get my health under control but cant seem to care enough!

Following my pregnancy I have also been diagnosed with arthritis and a prolapsed bladder. \This makes exercise extremely painful and embarrassing as well! I dont know where to start! I think I am getting depressed.

My HBA1C in October was 6.4%
One thing I learnt dealing with diabetes and chronic pain is that support and information go a long way to dealing with the change. Use this forum as much as you can for both. I was lucky and had a few appointments with a therapist who discussed the current trend of mindfulness. I haven't followed through but this story helped me look at how I responded differently. Apparently mindfulness started at a clinic in USA and they started trying to help people with chronic pain. When they arrived at the clinic they were asked how they were. Everyone responded with my pain level is a 10, I've never felt worse, my back is awful etc. They were then told that wasn't what they meant and they should look at it differently eg I walked from the car, my breathing is better, my leg doesn't hurt etc. When I'm at my lowest I try to find something positive to start with - you have been diagnosed, you have found this forum, you are receiving treatment. Doesn't always work but it helps more often than not. Good luck with your journey, you're at the bottom of a steep hill and you will find many lows and highs but with support and knowledge you will reach the top.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Jac25

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Anfalas and welcome. I'm not surprised you are finding it difficult to cope with diagnosis - you have had an awful lot to deal with. I sympathise with the exercise problem; I have ME and was only diagnosed with diabetes because they were doing endless tests trying to rule out everything else. The ME has meant I can't exercise, and am in continual pain. However, following LCHF diet, I have still managed to lose weight, although more slowly than others here who can exercise as well as modify diet.

Like you I found it very difficult to do without my comfort food. I found salvation in a baking website - www.diabeticgoodbaking.com . It's a blog / recipe site, and has taught me how to do low carb baking, both sweet and savoury. I still lapse from time to time, usually on chocolate, but I do my best to head for the darkest ones.

Don't beat yourself up, looking back gets you nowhere. Look forward. As others have suggested, I found regular BG testing gave me back the feeling of control. I'm still learning what I can eat, but at least I know what I can't. At first it was almost a bereavement, having to say goodbye to some favourite foods, but I told myself that for me, those foods were poison, and all of a sudden they looked less appealing. You will get there!