NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you say you eat some carbs specially before exercising, which carbs and the portions?

Reactions: Freema

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Andrew!

I eat lots of non-starchy veggies, some meat (I try to eat as little meat as I can because I was vegetarian before all this and hope to be again), cheese, eggs, and mixed nuts (I love salted nuts). Nuts are a great snack for energy. I also like a few spoonfuls of full fat greek yogurt after supper.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
What are the side effects that you experienced with Metformin?

I felt muscle weakness everyday with taking Insulin.

In my case Metformin caused severe mood swings, almost to the point of violence. Absolutely hated it. Went back to hospital and spoke with Docs. Had previously been on Chloropropamide but had maxed out on the available dose. They advised me that the only alternative was Insulin. I showed them (in those days) that I could draw up insulin into a syringe and inject an orange. Before I took my first insulin shot, I said to the Doc, "I don't like needles, what happens if I don't take this stuff?". His reply was "You'll die slowly and bits of you will fall off on the way". I said "Where to I stick the syringe?". 28 years later, I'm still injecting (now with pens) and am still here to tell the tale. I've been married for 27 yrs to a wonderfully supportive woman and we have two girls, one doing a master's degree, the other halfway through a degree!

Reactions: Serena51

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I gave you advice on what to eat and what not to eat and you replied with all the reasons you couldnt do what I suggested. Then here you are again asking the same question!

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The wholemeal bread and brown rice is not doing you any good. You need fats in your diet to keep you satiated and feeling full.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad to know your experience.

I was diagnosed 22 Sept 2017 after a violent Ketoacidosis.

Been taking Insulin Glargine 14 units and weaned down to 6 units just two nights ago.

Today my DN is adding 500mg Metformin after breakfast.

Wish me luck!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for this information Leah.

I am now eating and taking 1/2 avocado, salads, steamed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower), spinach etc.

Also half a slice of stoned baked brown bread - I need energy!

Tried celeriac last night and it's the best alternative to potatoes and it didn't spike my BG.

Have you tried sweet potatoes?

Andrew

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But the fats will be stored in my liver and pancreas

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I've ever eaten as many veggies my whole life as I have the last 6 months - lol. I've never heard of celeriac - what's that and what does it taste like? I used to eat sweet potatoes when I was first diagnosed, but stopped when I went low carb. I can't remember how it affected my bg. I suppose it would be ok in small portions (and I have heard it's good for diabetes), but I decided that I would avoid all starches and give my pancreas the best rest I could to try and allow it to heal and reverse this thing. But my plan is to slowly re-introduce these things when I'm off meds. But you have to do what you need to do to get through this, and if that means a slice of bread then that means a slice of bread. I've heard others mention on here about a brand of bread available in England that doesn't affect their bg as much. Can't remember the name.

This is just my own way of doing things - I get very determined and do things all the way or not at all

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think the fats you eat are stored in your liver and pancreas. If I'm remembering correctly, the fat there tends to be affected more by the fat stored in your abdomen, which is why it's good to reduce your waistline (should be no more than half your height). But eating fat doesn't make you fat.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need energy desperately, i always feel tired and weak... so if I can't get them from not having anymore carbs, where else can I get energy from but from healthy fats I suppose.

Reactions: Bodewhin

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac can be purchased from local greengrocers also from Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Low GI so it's good for us.

You can cook it like a potato mash, chips or boiled. It has a celery taste to it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They really won't even if you insist on saying it every time someone suggests it.

Your body will be using them for the energy you keep saying you don't have.. so why/how would they be stored?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you eat some carbs specially before exercising, which carbs and the portions?

I don’t eat carbs before excercicing actually I eat them mostly after excercising , but before I maybe eat like 30-40 grams of carbs the days I eat before, but we are all different and it is definitely healthier to eat a little right before excercicing and some during , if I was on insulin’s that would be what I would do. But I never hypo so don’t have to think of that really .... you can maybe become too low so try to eat 30 grams if you excercise for 60 minutes intensively and some 30 grams along if you continue for yet another hour

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The fats will stay in the liver and pancreas only if there is a constant high level of insulin.

When basal insulin levels are low...the fats will start flowing out...

Can we remain fat without insulin?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Freema this is very helpful.

Can you please give me some examples of carbs that you eat before or after exercise?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Leah,

Just spoke with my DN this morning and Im going to be taken off Insulin (after 2 weeks).

Will start taking Metformin 500mg from tommorow.

Thank God!

Andrew