1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nearly died at the A & E

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by NewTD2, Nov 12, 2017.

1. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I woke up 9:30 am on Friday 22 Sept 2017 my head was spinning very violently seeing my room spinning all over - when infact nothing was happening. It was infact a severe Vertigo, Hyperglycemia and Ketoacidosis!

Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic.

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3501

I was screaming and sweating heavily. I tried to get up but I just kept falling down. My mother called for the ambulance straightaway but they did not arrive until about an hour later.

At the A & E, I was given Potassium, Insulin, Glucose etc. and had blood samples taken every hour for signs of Ketones and to test Blood Glucose levels.The doctors said that I was very lucky to survive and I could have gone into coma.

To my surprise, I was discharged the next day. I went home feeling absolutely exhausted, very weak and confused.

And I did not hear back from my GP or DN until 6 weeks later. Communication between myself, the NHS and GP was awful. I wish there was a clearer line of communication straightaway and follow-up.

My DN conducted a blood test and the BG was 12%. I was put on daily units of insulin straightaway.

Anyway I have been doing low-carb/high fat diet since and doing light exercises. Also been taking Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Multivitamins, Minerals, Cinnamon, Pomegranate Extract, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic Food Supplements.

I have lost about half a stone since diagnosis. Thank God I'm still alive.

Next A1c will be mid-December 2017.

Wish me luck guys and look after your health!

• Hug Hug x 20
    • Like Like x 7
  2. slaxx

slaxx · Guest

Scary.. do take care! and keep note of your BG levels. Best way to find out what your sensitivities are. Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. NewTD2

Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Kikeena_

Kikeena_ Type 2 · Active Member

Wow! That sounds really scary and a dramatic entrance to Type 2. Welcome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NewTD2

It was very dramatic LOL !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree the NHS doesn't seem to treat diabetics seriously they must assume we know what to do in managing it our selves, same thing happened to my 18 grandson around 12 years ago he was so ill doctor sent for ambulance to pick him up at the surgery he had high ketones levels. He was in hospital diagnosed type1 put on insulin no information just a booklet and left to get on with it,what kind of service is this for anyone.K

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So scary for you, you will find a lot of information & helpful people on this forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Goacher55

Goacher55 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness so scary

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Kentoldlady1

Kentoldlady1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wow, what a terrible experience. I am presuming that you were given a meter etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wishing you good luck. What an experience you've had. You are already doing the right things and I hope it gets better over time.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NewTD2

It is absolutely terrible!

Some nurses and GPs sometimes lack compassion and even understanding what we're going through.

We must unite and help each other.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  12. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Keep an eye on insulin doses when low carbing and your blood levels. I assume they have explained about hypos, how to treat them and DVLA rules for driving?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. NewTD2

Thank you for the advice.

Is it NOT advisable then to go low-carbing on Insulin?

I am only having half slice of brown bread, veggies and a small piece of meat as I am scared of raining my blood sugar levels.

I am absolutely starving and feeling very weak.

Please advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  14. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

It is highly recommended that you understand the risks/benefits of low carbing and how your body respond to the prescribed insulin before you embark on a low carb approach.

That is because low carb and insulin have very strong glucose lowering effect and may have unintended life threatening consequence.

At this stage, focus on stabilizing your glucose within a safe range...then you may consider low carbing when you are ready to make an informed decision.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

What type of insulin are you on as that affects the answer?

Please keep in mind I am not a medical professional and cannt tell you what to do, but can give some generic suggestions.

If you are on a mixed insulin then you should have been given a fixed amount of carbs to eat per meal. STICK to that or you risk hypos.

If on basal/bolus - two types of insulin then you can carb count and adjust dose. Work with your medical team on this.

DKA will leave you feeling weak. Are you sure you are t2 as it is rare for t1s to get DKA?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Low carb for people on medication has been a controversial subject since eating less in the way of carbs will need a corresponding drop in insulin or whatever med you are on. In other words it is for people who know what they are doing. Arbitrarily advising people on insulin to low carb needs to come with a warning.

This did not stop one American doctor from saying, "Just reduce your insulin by a third or half" and videoing himself giving lectures on the subject.

Here is a link to Diet Doctor where he give info on the subject.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/with-diabetes-medications

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. NewTD2

Thank you for your advice.

I am feeling very nauseous, could hardly walk and very weak muscles because I have not been eating carbohydrates for 6 weeks.

I am scared of raising blood glucose levels up again.

Please advice what I should eat?

• Hug Hug x 3
  18. slaxx

slaxx · Guest

Im no doctor and im not fully informed on lchf yet, but try to look for a list of "low glycemic index" foods. These are carbs that are absorbed more slowly than, say, sugar, which makes your BG skyrocket within a short time. Low glycemic index foods release carbs slowly so you don't get very high peaks, and it is spread more stably over time.
    Check this link for a guide http://www.gisymbol.com/about/glycemic-index/

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. NewTD2

Thank you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

What insulin are you on and what ratios/units

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook