NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I woke up 9:30 am on Friday 22 Sept 2017 my head was spinning very violently seeing my room spinning all over - when infact nothing was happening. It was infact a severe Vertigo, Hyperglycemia and Ketoacidosis!

Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic.

http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3501

I was screaming and sweating heavily. I tried to get up but I just kept falling down. My mother called for the ambulance straightaway but they did not arrive until about an hour later.

At the A & E, I was given Potassium, Insulin, Glucose etc. and had blood samples taken every hour for signs of Ketones and to test Blood Glucose levels.The doctors said that I was very lucky to survive and I could have gone into coma.

To my surprise, I was discharged the next day. I went home feeling absolutely exhausted, very weak and confused.

And I did not hear back from my GP or DN until 6 weeks later. Communication between myself, the NHS and GP was awful. I wish there was a clearer line of communication straightaway and follow-up.

My DN conducted a blood test and the BG was 12%. I was put on daily units of insulin straightaway.

Anyway I have been doing low-carb/high fat diet since and doing light exercises. Also been taking Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Multivitamins, Minerals, Cinnamon, Pomegranate Extract, Cod Liver Oil, Garlic Food Supplements.

I have lost about half a stone since diagnosis. Thank God I'm still alive.

Next A1c will be mid-December 2017.

Wish me luck guys and look after your health!

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Wow! That sounds really scary and a dramatic entrance to Type 2. Welcome!
I agree the NHS doesn't seem to treat diabetics seriously they must assume we know what to do in managing it our selves, same thing happened to my 18 grandson around 12 years ago he was so ill doctor sent for ambulance to pick him up at the surgery he had high ketones levels. He was in hospital diagnosed type1 put on insulin no information just a booklet and left to get on with it,what kind of service is this for anyone.K

Reactions: Bettsy1960_

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wishing you good luck. What an experience you've had. You are already doing the right things and I hope it gets better over time.

Reactions: Prem51

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is absolutely terrible!

Some nurses and GPs sometimes lack compassion and even understanding what we're going through.

We must unite and help each other.

Reactions: Crystalwand

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Keep an eye on insulin doses when low carbing and your blood levels. I assume they have explained about hypos, how to treat them and DVLA rules for driving?

Reactions: johnnel

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the advice.

Is it NOT advisable then to go low-carbing on Insulin?

I am only having half slice of brown bread, veggies and a small piece of meat as I am scared of raining my blood sugar levels.

I am absolutely starving and feeling very weak.

Please advice.

Reactions: johnnel

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome to the forum.

It is highly recommended that you understand the risks/benefits of low carbing and how your body respond to the prescribed insulin before you embark on a low carb approach.

That is because low carb and insulin have very strong glucose lowering effect and may have unintended life threatening consequence.

At this stage, focus on stabilizing your glucose within a safe range...then you may consider low carbing when you are ready to make an informed decision.

Reactions: Prem51

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What type of insulin are you on as that affects the answer?

Please keep in mind I am not a medical professional and cannt tell you what to do, but can give some generic suggestions.

If you are on a mixed insulin then you should have been given a fixed amount of carbs to eat per meal. STICK to that or you risk hypos.

If on basal/bolus - two types of insulin then you can carb count and adjust dose. Work with your medical team on this.

DKA will leave you feeling weak. Are you sure you are t2 as it is rare for t1s to get DKA?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb for people on medication has been a controversial subject since eating less in the way of carbs will need a corresponding drop in insulin or whatever med you are on. In other words it is for people who know what they are doing. Arbitrarily advising people on insulin to low carb needs to come with a warning.

This did not stop one American doctor from saying, "Just reduce your insulin by a third or half" and videoing himself giving lectures on the subject.

Here is a link to Diet Doctor where he give info on the subject.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/with-diabetes-medications

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your advice.

I am feeling very nauseous, could hardly walk and very weak muscles because I have not been eating carbohydrates for 6 weeks.

I am scared of raising blood glucose levels up again.

Please advice what I should eat?

S

slaxx

Im no doctor and im not fully informed on lchf yet, but try to look for a list of "low glycemic index" foods. These are carbs that are absorbed more slowly than, say, sugar, which makes your BG skyrocket within a short time. Low glycemic index foods release carbs slowly so you don't get very high peaks, and it is spread more stably over time.
Check this link for a guide http://www.gisymbol.com/about/glycemic-index/