Low-carb diets should be reinstated as pillars of diabetes control, suggests new study

brel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being at work
If you check out https://www.dietdoctor.com/ it might be a bit clearer. I know it's hard to get your head around - I failed on the high carb, low fat diet for well over 40 years - but, promise, cutting way down on carbs and upping fats is sustainable for weight loss, control of blood glucose levels and even some forms of epilepsy. It's the way forward.
thanks I will give Dietdoctor.com a look see when I have a bit more time

Reactions: whitech

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't forget to add the usual DCUK invitation to join the Low Carb diet course, that normally gets embedded into the news stories on this site. This time it is appropriate, so I will not whinge like I have done in the past,

Edit: @Administrator I make this dig because if a news item gets altered before being posted here, then it gives the readers here a false impression that LC is being discussed in the wider world, I would be happier if it was added as an obvious invite as perhaps a footnote to a news item rather than disguising it within the body of text. I support an LC diet for myself, so I agree that we need to spread the word. I like the posts I get on FB and try to share them without appearing to be over zealous.
Agreed, we'll work on that.
Thanks

Reactions: Oldvatr

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you check out it might be a bit clearer. I know it's hard to get your head around - I failed on the high carb, low fat diet for well over 40 years - but, promise, cutting way down on carbs and upping fats is sustainable for weight loss, control of blood glucose levels and even some forms of epilepsy. It's the way forward.

There's low carb pages and ketogenic diet pages available on the site as well as the Low Carb Program :).

C

chris lowe

I decided to take NHS advice in the pages passed to me by DN a few weeks ago. After a couple of drinks (excessive for me I normally avoid alcohol) I took their excellent suggestion of having curry & rice on the way home.

Reactions: Ultramum and Freema

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I decided to take NHS advice in the pages passed to me by DN a few weeks ago. After a couple of drinks (excessive for me I normally avoid alcohol) I took their excellent suggestion of having curry & rice on the way home.
Chips and Custard to dispel the Chish and Fips syndrome after a few bevvies,

Reactions: ShelleyMac
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why does the title of the thread say "reinstated" - was low carb originally recommended as a treatment?
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin.

Diabetes has been known about for possibly thousands of years and was called the pissing disease. Diabetes means syphon and mellitus means sweet. It was observed that if you ****** on the ground then ants would gather round it.

John Rollo (d.1809) was the surgeon general of the Royal Artillery and he treated patients with what he called the meat diet.

Claude Bernard (1813-1878) was a French vivisectionist who carried out many experiments and gave lectures in Paris. Among his interests were the pancreas and the liver. He found a liver, accidentally left on the workbench overnight manufactured sugar.

A Dr. William Harvey (not the blood circulation one) attended some of these lectures and brought the knowledge home to 2 Soho Square where he lived.

He treated a patient called William Banting who was so impressed with the result that he wrote a leaflet and sold it for sixpence a time. It ran to four editions and in the last one he gave credit to Dr. Harvey.

In parts of the world (notably South Africa) it is still referred to as the Banting Diet.

This was the way to treat diabetics in the old days until Ancel Keyes upset the apple cart.

EDIT: The Banting referred to above is not the same person who showed that injecting animal insulin into patients was a good idea. Another Banting entirely and not contemporary with each other.

Last edited:

Lincka01

When I was a student nurse in the late 60's it was common for carbs to be restricted. They were listed in 10 g portions or lines. So if you were on a 10 line diet it was 100 g carbs. Always remember a thin slice of bread was a line, also an egg sized boiled potato. It's surprising what you can remember!!

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
@Administrator could you bump.this up - so how does this relate to the guardian's news today of finding low carb diets cut 4 years off your life? I speak as one who has eaten lchf for 2 years since diagnosis, successfully reducing my hba1c considerably.

Reactions: Debandez and zand

Dark Horse

@Administrator could you bump.this up - so how does this relate to the guardian's news today of finding low carb diets cut 4 years off your life? I speak as one who has eaten lchf for 2 years since diagnosis, successfully reducing my hba1c considerably.
The BBC have also covered that story, here:_ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45195474

Don't forget, this research was done with members of the 'general population', not specifically with people with diabetes.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/tl-tlp081518.php
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45195474
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

This study monitored for 25 years, but only asked people what diet they were following at their induction, and then 6 years later. so does not take into account dietary choice changes after that 6 year follow up. Rubbish. Remember that this study is based on what participants reported as a diet 25 years ago, and does not take into account modern eating habits and advertising hype.

The people doing the study acknowledge that they had very few subjects following a plant based diet, but their conclusions rely very heavily on their evidence. Again this shows a distinct bias IMO.

Declaration of interests
LMS receives grant funding from the California Walnut Commission and Dairy Management Inc, which was not used for this project. SC reports grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and personal fees from Novartis and Zogenix, outside the submitted work. All other authors have no competing interests.

No wonder they are saying nuts are best source of fats.

I have not yet studied these reports in detail, so this commentary of mine is only a first impression.... Watch this space while I wind up my BS detector in earnest.

Edit to add: On second readthrough it seems to be reasonable to suggest that the bulk of the LC diet adherents 19 years ago were following Atkins#1 diet plan, which was a LC low fat high protein diet, which did show up some adverse health outcomes. It has since been revamped as a moderate fat limited protein diet similar to LCHF, but this change is unlikely to be covered by this study. This may explain their abhorrence for Low Carb and may actually be the trigger that started this study in the first case.

Edit to Add: after 3rd readthrough it strikes me that this study also does not take into account the march of the PUFA brigade, with transfats and Omega-6 from industrial vegetable oils, nor will it notice the increased use of HFCS and sugar alcohols added to compensate for the low fat initiative from Ancel Keyes. 25 years ago animal products were cured using tradititional methods, not the inject it with nitrites and other chemicals along with the added water, nor the supermatket own brands that add hidden sugars and starches.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/tl-tlp081518.php
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45195474
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

This study monitored for 25 years, but only asked people what diet they were following at their induction, and then 6 years later. so does not take into account dietary choice changes after that 6 year follow up. Rubbish. Remember that this study is based on what participants reported as a diet 25 years ago, and does not take into account modern eating habits and advertising hype.

The people doing the study acknowledge that they had very few subjects following a plant based diet, but their conclusions rely very heavily on their evidence. Again this shows a distinct bias IMO.

Declaration of interests
LMS receives grant funding from the California Walnut Commission and Dairy Management Inc, which was not used for this project. SC reports grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and personal fees from Novartis and Zogenix, outside the submitted work. All other authors have no competing interests.

No wonder they are saying nuts are best source of fats.

I have not yet studied these reports in detail, so this commentary of mine is only a first impression.... Watch this space while I wind up my BS detector in earnest.

Edit to add: On second readthrough it seems to be reasonable to suggest that the bulk of the LC diet adherents 19 years ago were following Atkins#1 diet plan, which was a LC low fat high protein diet, which did show up some adverse health outcomes. It has since been revamped as a moderate fat limited protein diet similar to LCHF, but this change is unlikely to be covered by this study. This may explain their abhorrence for Low Carb and may actually be the trigger that started this study in the first case.
Thankyou so much! I could not get my head around this!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a parallel discussion going on here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-diets-dangerous.155403/page-2#post-1861079
Well if that is true i suppose Diabetes would do a lot worse!!!
I would agree with this, but the study did not address diebetes or weight loss and only considered all cause mortality, so alzheimers, dementia, cystic fibrosis, colds, flu, pneumonia, car crashes, natural causes etc are not excluded or identified.

But yes, diabetes is reckoned to knock a few years off all on its own. It is presented to us by the HCP's as 'having an increased risk'.

Reactions: Julie27318

Chalky34

This is my first post so sorry if its not in the correct forum. All though last year i kept getting emails from some called Ian Lake Program Director of type I program of Diabetes Uk which appareny a digital platform after i had applied for the low carb program for type 1 diabetics. I was told i had been Accepted for phase two (not even sure what Phase 1 was!) and was told i would eventually get instructions on how to enrol. Well emails stating various postponements and dates came and went with the last email being in early Dec 2018 to expect instructions in mid Dec. But no email since. So having waited months and months i have clue what is going and now I think im just wasting my time. Unfortunately Ian's email address states its not monitored. Can anyone fill me in on whats going on. Thank you