Poll: Which diabetes course(s) have you attended?

Which of the following structured diabetes education courses have you attended?

• DAFNE

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • DESMOND

Votes: 122 18.8%
  • X-PERT

Votes: 70 10.8%
  • ASPIRE

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Freedom4Life

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Other (Please state in a post)

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • Never attended one

Votes: 291 44.8%

• Total voters

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was curious too and Googled it. It’s Whittington Insulin Dosing For Active Living!
WOW.....I would never have figured that one out. I was trying different wordings but no where near.:):)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WOW.....I would never have figured that one out. I was trying different wordings but no where near.:):)
Indeed, I thought the D had to be Diabetes so I was well off the mark! :joyful:

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I did DESMOND but it was 2 months after diagnosis so I had already found this site and lchf which they don't seem to like!

Reactions: Prem51

batgirl2708

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did DESMOND today and they were quite good about low carb. Didn't really learn anything new but I can see how it could be helpful to those that are totally new to diabetes

Reactions: Footrest and Prem51

Ranson

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am currently attending a Reed/Momenta Diabetes Prevention Programme which lasts 9 months!

So far we have been told to walk more, which is fine, to eat five times a day, to avoid many fats and that one third of our diet should consist of starchy carbs. I am using the weekly weigh ins and step counts for my own motivation and not paying too much (any) heed to the dietary advice. It is hard to bite my tongue though. we have a session on carbs coming up and one of the healthy breakfasts listed in the booklet is a large scotch pancake with golden or maple syrup and half a banana. I won't be having that.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I went on the DAFID (?) around 10 years agao. Believe its called the DAFNE now. Learned soo much, mind you i needed it

Reactions: Prem51

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
It was something like that lol. My memory isn't that good lol. Basically counting carbs and adjusting insulin to suit

Reactions: novorapidboi26

jap_smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
my dafne course was the best,over 5 days,09.00 'till 5 at night and they said I was a graduate,but the chocolate and sweets in the centre of the table looked good.

Footrest

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This month we're taking a look at structured diabetes education courses in the UK and how well they work.

Have you taken one since you were diagnosed? If so, how helpful did you find it, if at all?

If you haven't taken any courses - is that because you've never been offered a place, or because you just felt like you didn't need it?

Would you recommend the course(s) to any of your friends if they were to get diagnosed with diabetes?

Footrest

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m new to this.
I did Desmond last year with my wife and found it useful - especially as I met others with t2d although I was the only fbs sufferer present. The dietary advice was somewhat old school thinking but was still thought provoking.
I would recommend it as it is a safe environment and helps focus ones mind on seeking solutions and understanding.

Reactions: Tabzmcfc

Valanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The gym Running
I'm in Ireland. Currently doing the Xpert course with a community dietician. Despite the usual advice re carbs we are being encouraged to monitor our blood glucose to learmn how our bodies react to foods and they are not prescriptive about the routes people should take to health. The emphasis is on understanding what has gone wrong and what pushes up glucose. I waited 8 months but now have 6 two and a half hour sessions and a follow up in 6 months. I count myself lucky.

Reactions: Cdeegan65.

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have attended DAFNE, but they did not tell me anything I already knew. However my Grandma who came along with me learned a lot and that was useful to her as she sometimes looks after me while my parents are away.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was pressed to attend a DESMOND course by my GP - less than a month after formal diagnosis. I felt that the information as presented was a little “simple” at times, and was still coming to terms with being diabetic, but nonetheless learnt quite a lot. The staff wanted me back for follow-up attendance the following May (2017), but haven't heard from them since.

However, their (NHS dietary) recommendations didn't help me, and was confused for some time until I read up on LCHF diets and step changes earlier this year.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on the DESMOND about 9 weeks post diagnosis. Can't say it was helpful as full of outdated dietary advice and a bit simplistic, though i guess it is hard to pitch it at a suitable level as a wide range of ages and abilities, both physically and mentally, attended mine.

Me too. Agree that the course is obliged to be understood by a diverse audience. We were given carb-rich sandwiches (very nice) for lunch!

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
Dafne and it's was great though it was a bit of waking me up