Feeling annoyed!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Panicking now! If green veg is still full of carb's what is left that I can eat! I don't even want to ask about broad beans, intended to have them with a bit of smoked haddock for tea. So... having watched the Chinese doctor video, I think he was called Dr Fung, he advocates fast for 1-5 days then eat for 1-5 days, could this be a solution, or will I feint behind the wheel of my car due to lack of food affecting my sugar? This is a minefield. What I need is an action plan, but I am finding this very hard to formulate.
You don't need to panic.
My method was.
Skip breakfast completely just have a tea or coffee.
Have lunch and dinner. Eat well - home cooked foods mainly meat and green veg, eggs, bacon cheese nuts avocado, pork scratchings for a snack if needed. Greens have got carbs but not too many so you can have those if you want. Try to avoid anything sugary and starchy they won't be good for your blood sugar levels. For pud I sometimes have raspberries and double cream or some Oppo ice cream (very low carb).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Fung, he advocates fast for 1-5 days then eat for 1-5 days
That's pretty hard core and I think that Jason uses that method for patients with really high HbA1c when on insulin. You might find that you will start feeling less hungry after a while eating LCHF and yes I have fasted for up to 7 days but you don't need to start out like that. The key is cutting out as many carbs as you can from your diet (or at least that's what I found helped the most). Good luck!

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Panicking now! If green veg is still full of carb's what is left that I can eat! I don't even want to ask about broad beans, intended to have them with a bit of smoked haddock for tea. So... having watched the Chinese doctor video, I think he was called Dr Fung, he advocates fast for 1-5 days then eat for 1-5 days, could this be a solution, or will I feint behind the wheel of my car due to lack of food affecting my sugar? This is a minefield. What I need is an action plan, but I am finding this very hard to formulate.

Stop! I eat green beans, peas, broad beans and they don't raise my bgl's at all. WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT. Last night I had pork medallions in a double cream, mushroom, shallot, apple and dill sauce, with courgettes and cauliflower. It raised my bgl by less than 1. I was actually lower 2 hours after than when I started eating.

You need to just find out what you can eat first. Even if you can't eat them now you might be able to in a couple of months. I cut out potatoes, bread, rice and pasta. Of course the sweet stuff and in my case alcohol.

I did eat broad beans early on and they were fine in terms of MY bgl's. I eat when I am hungry and I rarely eat breakfast.

Bulkbiker's advice IMO is spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would try @bulkbiker's suggestion to miss breakfast. I've found that the easiest way to ease into 16:8 fasting as I have never been keen on breakfast, rather than attempting the 1:5 fast, 1:5 eat you mention - that seems a bit hard when starting out/working out this new way of living. There are LOTS of things you can eat, even low-carb cake - look at that really yummy meal @woodywhippet61 had last night. As the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy says, don't panic!

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My partner has just pointed out to me that we go with the 5% rule i.e. carbs less 5% per 100 gs.
I do now occasionally have some less than 10% per 100gs but not everyday or even every week

Oh and BTW if you are a coffee lover then you have it with double cream or there is something called bulletproof coffee. I hope that I've got this correct as I just can't stomach unsweetened coffee so don't drink it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I agree entirely with @woodywhippet61

I can eat peas as long as there is plenty of fat in the meal, such as fish, or butter on the peas. I can also eat small portions of potato (roast, new boiled or fried chips). Testing regularly and carefully and using a food diary I know this to be the case. What I can't eat are things wheat based. You need to experiment and use your meter - test before, at 2 hours, and half hourly after that until you are certain you are back where you started. Have your broad beans tonight (note the portion size in your diary) and test, test, test. It is the best way to learn which your personal danger foods are. I would forget long term fasts until you know what you are doing, and until you fully understand how your body works.

Enjoy your tea, broad beans and haddock. Then learn from what your meter tells you. Put some butter on the beans! No sauce. We will all be interested in the results!

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
I agree entirely with @woodywhippet61

I can eat peas as long as there is plenty of fat in the meal, such as fish, or butter on the peas. I can also eat small portions of potato (roast, new boiled or fried chips). Testing regularly and carefully and using a food diary I know this to be the case. What I can't eat are things wheat based. You need to experiment and use your meter - test before, at 2 hours, and half hourly after that until you are certain you are back where you started. Have your broad beans tonight (note the portion size in your diary) and test, test, test. It is the best way to learn which your personal danger foods are. I would forget long term fasts until you know what you are doing, and until you fully understand how your body works.

Enjoy your tea, broad beans and haddock. Then learn from what your meter tells you. Put some butter on the beans! No sauce. We will all be interested in the results!

Changed the plan, took two fresh runner beans and diced them, add quartered and sliced courgette, half a chopped red pepper, three squares of spinach, three chopped garlic cloves sweated in 1oz butter, a splash of black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric, slow fried smoked haddock and 4 fresh scallops minus roe in butter, poured the fish stock produced over the fish. Gorgeous, did not need to use any salt! Will await readings in 2 hours. Breakfast was avocado with two poached eggs, lunch was a little chicken breast, about 4-5 mouthfuls, supper will be half a cup of unsalted nuts. I normally take my bloods at bedtime.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would forget long term fasts until you know what you are doing, and until you fully understand how your body works.
I agree. Some people obviously thrive on fasting, but in my case, if I go without eating for too long between meals my bg goes up all by itself, which is very discouraging - I might as well have eaten something nice. I should think you have enough to do working out what you CAN eat - I certainly do.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
That's pretty hard core and I think that Jason uses that method for patients with really high HbA1c when on insulin. You might find that you will start feeling less hungry after a while eating LCHF and yes I have fasted for up to 7 days but you don't need to start out like that. The key is cutting out as many carbs as you can from your diet (or at least that's what I found helped the most). Good luck!

Thank you, I have a lot of respect not only for what you have said, but the results that you have achieved, I have not kept accurate record, something I must change, but my waist size has reduced from 44 inches to 38 inches, my target is 34 inch, I am 6ft 2ins.

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Changed the plan, took two fresh runner beans and diced them, add quartered and sliced courgette, half a chopped red pepper, three squares of spinach, three chopped garlic cloves sweated in 1oz butter, a splash of black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric, slow fried smoked haddock and 4 fresh scallops minus roe in butter, poured the fish stock produced over the fish. Gorgeous, did not need to use any salt! Will await readings in 2 hours. Breakfast was avocado with two poached eggs, lunch was a little chicken breast, about 4-5 mouthfuls, supper will be half a cup of unsalted nuts. I normally take my bloods at bedtime.
Are you selling takeaways?

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes

It's been 2 hours, just took a reading 7.2 that's pretty good for me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been 2 hours, just took a reading 7.2 that's pretty good for me.

Not bad, but how good or not depends on what you were before you started to eat! It is the rise from before to after that matters more than the actual levels while you are still learning and experimenting with what to eat. It needs to be less than 2mmol/l, preferably as low as possible. You can then keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your before and after levels alongside .... and look for patterns after a period of time. You will very soon learn which your danger foods are, and they may be different from mine or anyone elses. It is important to record everything and be organised with your testing - before and 2 hours after, and if necessary half hourly after the 2 hour mark until you are back to where you started.

Reactions: Greg1957

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I have a lot of respect not only for what you have said, but the results that you have achieved, I have not kept accurate record, something I must change, but my waist size has reduced from 44 inches to 38 inches, my target is 34 inch, I am 6ft 2ins.
Mine is down from 44 (Nov 2015) to recently 34 (Levi 501) I think its more like 37 in real inches but guess the size 44's were probably 47's really too. it can definitely be done and to be honest without hunger or even feeling especially deprived. If I can help in any please give me a PM if you want too.

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Good morning everyone, trying to work this out? As I said 2 hours after my evening meal, my bloods were 7.2, at bedtime they were 6.4 went to sleep feeling smug, ate or drunk nothing since, just did a morning check 8.8! How on earth has sleeping pushed me up by 2.4 crazy. So do I eat breakfast, or fast until lunchtime...... I think that I will fast, take a reading before lunch and again 2 hours after. By the way Alexandra, lunch today will be poached eggs on spinach, and dinner will be homemade tandoori masala chicken thighs on a bed of non root veg slowly sweated in butter, dessert will be raspberries and double cream. Lol

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am really glad you have discovered a way to treat yourself... even if it is from doctor google and not an actual doctor, but TBH the standard of care and information received has dropped significantly.
My uncle died a few months ago too, he left behind a 13yr old son even though he was fit as a fiddle farmer... once the dementia hit he had to rely on others who were clueless about how to handle his diet... he died of complications... his diabetes was mismanaged... he had age related diabetes.
Another of my uncles (from my mother's side) has type 2 diabetes, I have my diabetes in complete remission by going on this diet, but it only took me 4 months (as soon as I was diagnosed I went to doctor google) to sort myself out. This uncle however refuses to change and says he will eat whatever is put on the table for him...

Some people will never change. It will take something terrible to change them.

In this day and age I am afraid it is money before people. Very sad times we live in!

Reactions: Prem51 and Greg1957

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, trying to work this out? As I said 2 hours after my evening meal, my bloods were 7.2, at bedtime they were 6.4 went to sleep feeling smug, ate or drunk nothing since, just did a morning check 8.8! How on earth has sleeping pushed me up by 2.4 crazy. So do I eat breakfast, or fast until lunchtime...... I think that I will fast, take a reading before lunch and again 2 hours after. By the way Alexandra, lunch today will be poached eggs on spinach, and dinner will be homemade tandoori masala chicken thighs on a bed of non root veg slowly sweated in butter, dessert will be raspberries and double cream. Lol
It's called the dawn phenomena! Your body releases glucose into the blood to give you energy to get up and move about... it can't actually see if you have enough or not! Your body measures how much insulin is in you rather than glucose levels so if your insulin is low it believes your glucose is low too and dumps a load of glucose to help you keep going... (liver dump).
Once you have been low carbing for a couple of weeks you should then be in ketosis and your liver will be drained of its reserve and won't be able to do this anymore.

Do you have a meter yet? You can buy your own and start testing, keep a spread sheet of what foods do what to your bgl, then you will be able to plan your meals based on this. There is a low carb forum on here with loads of low carb meals and recipes, you may actually find great alternatives that you actually prefer!

Cauliflower pizza is amazing (I really didn't think that would work!) So get some ideas and don't worry.
Most things have carbs (water doesn't) but a lot of those won't effect you! The ones that will are root veg, bread, pasta, rice, fruit (except berries)... but we are all different so react differently to certain foods... the only way for sure to know what you can and can't eat will be to test hourly after each meal (this may take a month to get the full picture and then go back to every now and then) I have the codefree (cheap and accurate) but loads of people advocate for the libre.
I

Last edited:

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes

Now I am really confused, woke up to 8.8, still not put anything in my mouth for the day, been off shopping for fresh veg, lacto free milk etc, came home, took bloods now they have shot to 11.2, don't have a clues what's going on? From 6.4 last night to 11.2 whilst fasting, anyone know what's happening.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I am really confused, woke up to 8.8, still not put anything in my mouth for the day, been off shopping for fresh veg, lacto free milk etc, came home, took bloods now they have shot to 11.2, don't have a clues what's going on? From 6.4 last night to 11.2 whilst fasting, anyone know what's happening.
Fasting doesn’t suit everyone. It doesn’t me. If I don’t eat as soon as I get up my blood sugar just goes up and up til I eat. I have my breakfast as soon as I get up, even before a shower and getting dressed. It’s all to do with liver dumping, your liver dumps sugar into your bloodstream in the absence of any food, that’s how I understand it.