toothpaste what about it

It's raise blood sugar as we know it is sweet
He does not eat but we taste it and that is enough

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
colgate is 0, roughly 10 cals per serving but you use 4 brushing.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely toothpaste isn’t really sweet, with sugar anyway, that would be bad for our teeth!

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Taste the food with your tongue

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely toothpaste isn’t really sweet, with sugar anyway, that would be bad for our teeth!

There is something in many toothpastes that is sweet. I have read somewhere about this. Not as sweet as many soaps though - they do contain sugar in one form or another, which is why it is essential to rinse thoroughly under running water before finger pricking.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the ingredients of the one I use. Not sure what most of this is, but it isn't looking good!
Ingredients
Aqua, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Hydrated Silica, Glycerin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Aroma, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Saccharin, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Fluoride, Limonene, CI 77891, Contains Sodium Fluoride (1450ppm F)

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I do not think there is toothpaste without sugar !

JoeCo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are sugar free and natural toothpastes available online or at retailers such as Whole Foods, Holland & Barrett, etc. Pricey but might be worth it if you are concerned.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For the amount of toothpaste on the brush, and the length of time it is in the mouth, and the minimal likelihood of it reaching the bloodstream, I doubt it is any matter of concern. Not to me, anyway.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
These are the ingredients of the one I use. Not sure what most of this is, but it isn't looking good!
Ingredients
Aqua, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Hydrated Silica, Glycerin, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Aroma, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Sodium Saccharin, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Fluoride, Limonene, CI 77891, Contains Sodium Fluoride (1450ppm F)
In case you are wondering here is what some of those ingredients are and do.

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (aka Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate, or SLS) which is used to create foam. It’s a major ingredient in washing up liquid and does play some role in cleaning your teeth. But it isn’t essential and in some studies it has been shown that it can make human tissue (skin, scalp, mouth surfaces) more easily penetrated by other chemicals.

Tetrasodium pyrophosphate (TSPP) is sometimes used as a water softening agent. It removes calcium and magnesium from the saliva so that less plaque is formed. It is slightly unpleasant tasting and needs other ingredients (e.g. detergents) present to make it work. Toxnet rate it as moderately toxic.

Some toothpastes may contain Triclosan which helps kill plaque-forming microbes. Triclosan is a bio-persistent chemical which turns up in fish, breast milk and wastewater.

For that white “Hollywood” smile many toothpastes contain hydrogen peroxide. There are some health queries about the safety of this when used in concentrated amounts. One study, by Europa, concluded that most people suffered no problems from a 1.5% hydrogen peroxide solution used twice a day. However, hydrogen peroxide is also classed as a weak carcinogen and they therefore concluded that it should be sold in a 0.1% concentration only.

Another whitening ingredient is sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). This is considered a moderate hazard.

Worse though is carbamide peroxide, which is generally produced from perhydrol urea. This is an animal product and is rated as moderately toxic by the EWG (Environmental Working Group). It’s already banned in Canada.

Sodium carbonate peroxide is added to some whitening toothpastes. It breaks down into sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide then bleaches the teeth and kills germs around the gums.

Titanium dioxide (also found in sunscreens) is used to make the toothpaste opaque and bright white. This is generally considered a Low hazard.

Polyethylenes such as polyethylene glycol (PEG) and other polymers are also found in many toothpastes. They are used to bind and stabilise. Health concerns include cancer, allergies/immunotoxicity and organ system toxicity.

Fluorides are used to harden the teeth and protect against decay. They work best when combined with surfactants (detergents) such as SLS and ALS. There are many health questions over the use of fluoride – and the jury is still out. Sodium fluoride is commonly used and is thought to be a cancer-causing agent (carcinogenic) in prolonged use. Sodium monofluorophosphate has similar properties.

Because many of the ingredients in toothpaste can be irritating Allantoin (thought to be harmless) is sometimes added to counter this.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
For the amount of toothpaste on the brush, and the length of time it is in the mouth, and the minimal likelihood of it reaching the bloodstream, I doubt it is any matter of concern. Not to me, anyway.
Okay have a good time

Learning things better than ignorance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In case you are wondering here is what some of those ingredients are and do.

Sodium Laureth Sulphate (aka Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate, or SLS) which is used to create foam. It’s a major ingredient in washing up liquid and does play some role in cleaning your teeth. But it isn’t essential and in some studies it has been shown that it can make human tissue (skin, scalp, mouth surfaces) more easily penetrated by other chemicals.

Tetrasodium pyrophosphate (TSPP) is sometimes used as a water softening agent. It removes calcium and magnesium from the saliva so that less plaque is formed. It is slightly unpleasant tasting and needs other ingredients (e.g. detergents) present to make it work. Toxnet rate it as moderately toxic.

Some toothpastes may contain Triclosan which helps kill plaque-forming microbes. Triclosan is a bio-persistent chemical which turns up in fish, breast milk and wastewater.

For that white “Hollywood” smile many toothpastes contain hydrogen peroxide. There are some health queries about the safety of this when used in concentrated amounts. One study, by Europa, concluded that most people suffered no problems from a 1.5% hydrogen peroxide solution used twice a day. However, hydrogen peroxide is also classed as a weak carcinogen and they therefore concluded that it should be sold in a 0.1% concentration only.

Another whitening ingredient is sodium hydroxide (caustic soda). This is considered a moderate hazard.

Worse though is carbamide peroxide, which is generally produced from perhydrol urea. This is an animal product and is rated as moderately toxic by the EWG (Environmental Working Group). It’s already banned in Canada.

Sodium carbonate peroxide is added to some whitening toothpastes. It breaks down into sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide then bleaches the teeth and kills germs around the gums.

Titanium dioxide (also found in sunscreens) is used to make the toothpaste opaque and bright white. This is generally considered a Low hazard.

Polyethylenes such as polyethylene glycol (PEG) and other polymers are also found in many toothpastes. They are used to bind and stabilise. Health concerns include cancer, allergies/immunotoxicity and organ system toxicity.

Fluorides are used to harden the teeth and protect against decay. They work best when combined with surfactants (detergents) such as SLS and ALS. There are many health questions over the use of fluoride – and the jury is still out. Sodium fluoride is commonly used and is thought to be a cancer-causing agent (carcinogenic) in prolonged use. Sodium monofluorophosphate has similar properties.

Because many of the ingredients in toothpaste can be irritating Allantoin (thought to be harmless) is sometimes added to counter this.

OMG I think I will change brands!

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think the list of foodstuffs to avoid is very long..and if toothpaste was on there it would be way way down the bottom end..surely your diet is not that well managed that u have to think about toothpaste !

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I would think the list of foodstuffs to avoid is very long..and if toothpaste was on there it would be way way down the bottom end..surely your diet is not that well managed that u have to think about toothpaste !

Big things always start from small

Thanks

Last edited: