Type 2 : CHRISTMAS TREATS

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
We are all entitled to christmas treats.

What have you got planned?
Low carb feast?
Not so low-carb, or more alcohol planned?

What's your Christmas treat/treats now your type2?

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.
This thread may come in useful for xmas food info @welshgirl2228

I'll stop giving you more info but make a new thread anytime for any concerns, we're a great bunch. In your time, it has to be.
Hubby may make his own enquires with friends. Some men prefer just over hearing what they want to know.
Low carbing is great fun. Breakfasts fit for a king. (Salmon and asparagus on protein toast) ha ha
For me it' Christmas Cake I am afraid and Christmas Pudding n Fresh Cream Yum.

Reactions: ickihun

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My proposed menu - much the same as alll my low carb Christmas dinners so far:
  • smoked salmon with cream cheese and chives
  • roast turkey or duck breast with homemade cranberry sauce, roast celeriac, sprouts cooked in butter and nutmeg with a little pancetta, and maybe a few chestnuts instead of celeriac
  • "cheat" black forest gateaux - boozy black cherries with chocolate muffin & cream
It's all food I really enjoy, and I've not actually missed the additional tradtional high carb foods - last time I tried a mince pie it actually tasted vile... :eek:

Robbity
PS The firsr time I tried making a low carb stuffing, it worked perfectly, but I wasn't able to reproduce it so gave up... But I may have another go.
My lot make stuffing out of just sausage meat with black pepper and other seasoning, I always preferred this to the paxo type of stuffing.

D

Deleted member 308541

We are heading off to West Australia for xmas, as per usual it will be sea food lunch including the local fresh water Marron.

The only treat that we will have, is with being with our family and all the grand kids for the week.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lot make stuffing out of just sausage meat with black pepper and other seasoning, I always preferred this to the paxo type of stuffing.
I always forget about this sort - so I'll unstuff some sausages and give it a go! I've just ordered some high meat content ones in this week's online shop - so thanks for the very timely reminder. :p

Robbity

Reactions: Serena51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

My family like this, too. I put in a little salt and a good sprinkling of Ina Paarmans Garlic Pepper.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Breakfast on Christmas Day will be scrambled eggs and smoked salmon on Burgen Bread .... with Champagne.

Dinner will be full Christmas dinner WITH roast potatoes, Cranberry Sauce etc .... then sponge pud and custard - no holds barred! .... sod it - it’s Christmas.

Then a nice walk in the afternoon with the dog, before curling up in front of the TV, with some lovely cheeses and G&Ts!

Weather permitting - the dog gets a 5 mile run on Boxing Day morning.

Am I worried ... am I hell!

Enjoy

Oh - and I might throw in a few choccies for good measure!

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons

Low carb feast?

Three days of having what I want without worrying about dieting or carbs and can't wait!

Reactions: Sue192

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Plenty of meat,3 bird roast ,pigs in duvets.
Plenty of roasted veg.
1 small spud.
But one small slice of boozy home made Christmas cake.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, funny you should mention Christmas treats. I was thinking about this on Monday, as Christmas is a very big event in the Lyons household. Turkey ( tick ) Brussel Sprouts ( tick ) Roast potatoes ( nope ) Swede mash ( tick ) Carrots ( tick ) Yorkshire puddings ( maybe a small one ). Yup Christmas dinner I can scrape by, but it's the puddings...The delicious mince pies drowned in custard, the flaming Christmas pudding alight with brandy...sigh.. My life, all of a sudden has lost it's meaning.

I'm feeling your pain

P

pollensa

Low carb feast?

Low carb feast plans here in Mallorca are based around diet doctor keto eating plan.....eating fabulously and healthy...

HAPPY FESTIVE EATING MENU DIABETIC STYLE MALLORCA....

Xmas Eve
Homemade chicken stock soup with meatballs without breadcrumbs this soup traditonal in mallorca, usually pasta shells are stuffed with meatballs, but I will simply not use the past shells! sprinkle with coriander instead.

Canopes, eggs stuffed with pesto and piece of bacon on top, scotch eggs, sausage meat again no breadcrumbs, crunch walnuts to make crumbs instead, salamies, cheeses, seed breads, CELERY STUFFED WITH CHEESES, CHEESE BOARD, STUFFED MINI BELL PEPPERS WITH WHATEVER YOU LIKE.

Xmas Day
Fresh asparagus soup
Leg Lamb mint sauce no sugar its just as good. Pumpkin roasted instead of potatoes, sprouds, bacon and walnuts, green creamed green beans in butter, cream with grated lemon rind.
Dessert. Wait for this, half cup strawberries cut into small pieces, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sesame, flax and cia, greek yogur, put all in different layers in a glass serve with walnuts on top....

New Years Eve
Home made mushroom soup
Beef wellington, I simply dont eat the pastry which will be made with Almond Flour anyway
broc, caulifour, brus sprouts walnuts, red, green peppers fried with garlic MEDSTYLE
Mushroom sauce made with butter, mushrooms and half bottle red wine....
Dessert Choc Pudding!!! yes yes, Keto eating plan, only eggs, coconut milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla half slap 90% lindt chocolate see their recipe make put in glasses 2 hrs before serve, so its a healthy low carb special occasions dessert, not for everyday only for say New Year....

Cocktails, Dry Marti 0 Carbs!!!!! 100% and dry dry extra brut pink champers, 2 CARBS GLASS or chardonnay white wine, 2/3 DEPENDING ON DRYNESS again, not normally on the menu, but for Xmas and New Year a slurp here and there of them will be enjoyed,

Guilt pangs not one........a little thought, effort, one can eat fantastically, wth the lowest possible carbs in doing so, and simply go for a brisk 10 min walk after your meal to burn it all off.

Hope the above Mallorca festive days eating for a Pre diabetic will help others............

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A total blow-out for Christmas Day lunch at swanky hotel. Seven courses..... (They are small ones!) I will avoid the bread and the spuds but hell-for-leather on the rest, and probably a glass of wine. Good(ish) on the days before and after, with mounds of curried coconut flakes as my 'other' treat. I'm afraid I am addicted to the stuff.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A total blow-out for Christmas Day lunch at swanky hotel. Seven courses..... (They are small ones!) I will avoid the bread and the spuds but hell-for-leather on the rest, and probably a glass of wine. Good(ish) on the days before and after, with mounds of curried coconut flakes as my 'other' treat. I'm afraid I am addicted to the stuff.

Do you make the curried coconut flakes yourself, or are they bought? Seems like an interesting option. :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you make the curried coconut flakes yourself, or are they bought? Seems like an interesting option. :)
I make them myself, @DCUKMod. Along the lines of: melt some coconut oil (about a dessertspoon? - I just bung in a lump) in a bowl in microwave, chuck in curry powder and salt, and I add some garam masala, then add coconut flakes and stir very well until the flakes are coated. Spread on baking sheet (I use parchment paper but you probably don't need it) and then bake at 180c (or 200c is ok too) for 4-6 mins. Keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly. Take out, cool and restrain oneself from eating the lot. It keeps well in an airtight container. It has really helped with the crisps craving!

Reactions: lovinglife

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make them myself, @DCUKMod. Along the lines of: melt some coconut oil (about a dessertspoon? - I just bung in a lump) in a bowl in microwave, chuck in curry powder and salt, and I add some garam masala, then add coconut flakes and stir very well until the flakes are coated. Spread on baking sheet (I use parchment paper but you probably don't need it) and then bake at 180c (or 200c is ok too) for 4-6 mins. Keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly. Take out, cool and restrain oneself from eating the lot. It keeps well in an airtight container. It has really helped with the crisps craving!

Thank you. :)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can make lower carb mince pie using fake 'candied cranberries' mixed with a little bramley apple, butter or lard, and plenty of spices. Then make some almond flour pastry ( I cheat and just make a slightly large pie with a bottom layer of pastry as rolling out almond pastry is fiddly). Serve with proper egg custard using sweetener or with double cream.

try either of these:
https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/dried-cranberries/
https://www.carbwarscookbooks.com/2014-wrap-up-and-one-more-holiday-recipe-fruit-cake/

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Alternative to making fake mince pies or cake is chocolate mousse - just use 90% chocolate, double cream and a little sweetener is wanted.

rads41

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Low carb feast?

I’ve made the ( possibly rash) decision to relax rules over Christmas. I’ve only recently re-started my efforts to low carb again - bad time of year for it! We’re on holiday for two weeks and it usually turns in to an indulgent time. Potatoes don’t really spike me so roast dinner will be fine. It’s the other treats like chocolate and mince pies, which are abundant at this time of year that are my Achilles heel . I will manage with insulin ( 1.5 times per 10g carb for savoury carb and 2 times for sweet). I will also try to go out for walks with the family every second day at least. Back on it with a vengeance on the 5th Jan

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ickihun

Not planning on doing anything too different as low carb treats are already built into my menu.

Christmas Day I will be at my Dad’s wife’s mother’s house and will relax my low carb a bit - maybe a few potatoes. Am thinking I might experiment with some low carb baking and take something along for dessert. Never did like Christmas Cake, Mince Pies etc. so no hardship to avoid those.

Interested to see the ideas of others though - might change my mind!
I don't like Christmas cake pudding or mince pies either, I'd rather have chocolate cake much nicer.
Be good to know how the low carb baking turns out :)