8 Months Since Type 2 Diagnosis

GeminiMum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At this moment in time I have been on metformin for two months now, and no side effects plus I have been to the hospital about my tablets and talked about diets, I nearly fell asleep it bored me silly, yet I have another next week I felt as if I was in a rehab, other than the blood tests I have got a clue what my sugar levels should be, I don't know what to do if my blood sugars are up or down I have no way of knowing so at the moment I have gone down the common sense road, I use canderel instead of sugar and cut out biscuits and cakes, I don't know when I see the nurse next and am getting a bit tired of the blood tests am not a pin cushion, when do I get a blood pricker? so I can check my sugar levels sorry for the moan but it's 7am and I haven't been asleep

I was only diagnosed on the 23 Dec, but I had gestational diabetes with all three pregnancies (boys are now 16, 12 & 10). Back then I was given a blood glucose monitoring machine, diet advice and very quickly I learnt I could safely eat 2 new potatoes with a meal but 3 new potatoes would push me over 7. I'm only newly diagnosed but my advice is to get yourself a blood glucose monitor, I got one for about £25 from Boots, the extra 50 blood testing strips were £20 (just bought those extras today as machine comes with 10 strips).

So far I've had one blip, that was having a larger than normal breakfast, bloods were 7.4. I'm averaging in the 5's for most meals and once I have reading that I'm ok with eg Salmon with lentils/peppers/cucumber/olives/celery then I don't tend to test again. I've only been doing this a few weeks but will check regularly to ensure I'm still ok with those foods.

What amazes me is the lack of info that the Diabetes Nurse gave, I seemed to know more than she did and another friend of mine was also diagnosed just before Christmas and is has even less of an idea than I have and no meter.

Reactions: Dabe
P

pollensa

He
As my title suggests, 8 months ago today I received a Type 2 diagnosis out of the blue (I had just had an annual blood test as I’m on BP meds). I found this forum that day and haven’t looked back. I found oodles of info that made sense, not the NHS rubbish Eatwell Plate and don’t test, quite the contrary, low carbing and self testing was the route I took. Initially 100g of carbs and 8 tests per day. Now I’m currently eating 50-70g of carbs per day and testing 4-6 times depending what else is going on in my life, illness, stress etc... and I continue on Metformin.
I now have a non diabetic HbA1c and have lost 5 stone in weight. I feel better than I have done in years. I’m currently on crutches after major surgery on my foot just before Christmas but am coping well, not sure I would have if I still carried the extra 5 stone. My sugars were a little raised after surgery but soon dropped back to my normal.
I have immense praise for this Forum, the admins, the moderators and all the Jo public contributors, there is so much expertise here and always a response to be had, whatever the question.
Thank you, thank you everyone! :happy:
Hello

Congratulations, and its always wonderful to hear results reversing higher levels fingers and A1C, and sorry to be putting a damper on this news, but I always become frustrated and sad as I note your taking Metformin and my question is what would your A1C be if YOU WERE NOT TAKING THAT, and you were only doing your won efforts, change lifestyle, and exercise, if your A1C is non diabetic zone yes, CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER, as your own body has managed this with YOUR efforts, as far as I see it when people as yourself, inform numbers and results, they are FALSE results at the end of the day, as yes figures are lower, sugars are not out of your body and I am not a doctor, but it does not need rocket science to realize this, and its such as sad situation, that people do not seem to see this.

I stopped Metformin only took three tablets realized what damage they could do to my body, and have reversed my A1C 23% in four months, change of lifestyle keto eating plan, intermittent fasting three days a week and today walked 10klm this is what has lowered my A1C to normality and my finger levels also, albeit I am only pre diabetic, well, in Spain I am, labelled Diabetic based on their so called cut off levels, but if I jump on the plane back home to Australia, I am only pre diabetes as their cut off for A1C is 6.7% 50mmol/mol with TWO tests SHOWING over this figure before they label anyone with the lifetime label of diabtes, how pragmatic and sensible is that. So I view myself obviously as Pre Diabetic based on Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania cut off levels.

Your situation is as you say much better and that's great, but how wonderful it would be for you, if you could say this, without medication, that is a different situation after all.

Mallorca

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He

Hello

Congratulations, and its always wonderful to hear results reversing higher levels fingers and A1C, and sorry to be putting a damper on this news, but I always become frustrated and sad as I note your taking Metformin and my question is what would your A1C be if YOU WERE NOT TAKING THAT, and you were only doing your won efforts, change lifestyle, and exercise, if your A1C is non diabetic zone yes, CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER, as your own body has managed this with YOUR efforts, as far as I see it when people as yourself, inform numbers and results, they are FALSE results at the end of the day, as yes figures are lower, sugars are not out of your body and I am not a doctor, but it does not need rocket science to realize this, and its such as sad situation, that people do not seem to see this.

I stopped Metformin only took three tablets realized what damage they could do to my body, and have reversed my A1C 23% in four months, change of lifestyle keto eating plan, intermittent fasting three days a week and today walked 10klm this is what has lowered my A1C to normality and my finger levels also, albeit I am only pre diabetic, well, in Spain I am, labelled Diabetic based on their so called cut off levels, but if I jump on the plane back home to Australia, I am only pre diabetes as their cut off for A1C is 6.7% 50mmol/mol with TWO tests SHOWING over this figure before they label anyone with the lifetime label of diabtes, how pragmatic and sensible is that. So I view myself obviously as Pre Diabetic based on Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania cut off levels.

Your situation is as you say much better and that's great, but how wonderful it would be for you, if you could say this, without medication, that is a different situation after all.

Mallorca

Hi @pollensa

You have posted a similar comment in reply to previous posts of mine. Here once again is a copy of my reply to you then (with weight loss figures updated). My thoughts remain the same. I have asked you before to please refrain from bothering to type your thoughts on my posts again, yet today you have ignored my request. As I said before we’ll have to agree to differ.

“I put a lot of effort into controlling my blood sugar levels, I count my carb intake very accurately (50-70g/day), I test very regularly to check if my body isn’t tolerating something I’ve eaten. I don’t eat pasta, rice, normal bread or cereals. Metformin does very little to lower blood glucose levels and my levels do not spike and dip dramatically so I have faith that my HbA1c is an accurate reflection of my readings. It has also helped me lose 31.6kg easily, which will help too. I’m happy to take Metformin for the small amount it helps my blood sugar by stalling liver dump and helping ease insulin resistance, and also for the other benefits it gives. Fasting doesn’t suit me, I’ve tried it, my blood glucose levels just rise until I eat! I tested that recently when I fasted for my blood test.

I’m happy with the way I’m dealing with my Diabetes and you’re obviously happy with your way and thus we have to agree to differ.”

Reactions: ianpspurs

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rachox Well done on your hard work, I agree that metformin does very little to help reduce your HbA1c, it's down to hard work and effort that you have achieved this so you should be very proud :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
He

Mallorca
Hi pollensa

Rachox has eloquently replied below and I don't want to appear as an internet warrior but if I read things right her BG levels are 32 or 5.2 whilst yours are 6.7 or 50. I may be wrong here but I know which strategy I would advise others to follow but each to their own.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done @Rachox. This is stunning and it doesn't matter how you got there- it's still down to you. It's your effort, your result and you who's less likely to suffer from complications. I always find your posts extremely helpful and informative and you have been an inspiration to me in the 4 months I've been a member. Keep it up!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am only pre diabetic, well, in Spain I am, labelled Diabetic based on their so called cut off levels, but if I jump on the plane back home to Australia, I am only pre diabetes as their cut off for A1C is 6.7% 50mmol/mol with TWO tests SHOWING over this figure before they label anyone with the lifetime label of diabtes, how pragmatic and sensible is that. So I view myself obviously as Pre Diabetic based on Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania cut off levels.
@pollensa
It doesn't matter what label you choose to use, or if you choose a label at all, these levels are above normal - not normal and put you at risk of complications. If someone broke a leg, would you say "ok it's better now but only because you had it put in a plaster cast? ' How much better it would be if you just waited for it to heal itself"

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As my title suggests, 8 months ago today I received a Type 2 diagnosis out of the blue (I had just had an annual blood test as I’m on BP meds). I found this forum that day and haven’t looked back. I found oodles of info that made sense, not the NHS rubbish Eatwell Plate and don’t test, quite the contrary, low carbing and self testing was the route I took. Initially 100g of carbs and 8 tests per day. Now I’m currently eating 50-70g of carbs per day and testing 4-6 times depending what else is going on in my life, illness, stress etc... and I continue on Metformin.
I now have a non diabetic HbA1c and have lost 5 stone in weight. I feel better than I have done in years. I’m currently on crutches after major surgery on my foot just before Christmas but am coping well, not sure I would have if I still carried the extra 5 stone. My sugars were a little raised after surgery but soon dropped back to my normal.
I have immense praise for this Forum, the admins, the moderators and all the Jo public contributors, there is so much expertise here and always a response to be had, whatever the question.
Wow well done, congratulations x

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Hi @pollensa

You have posted a similar comment in reply to previous posts of mine. Here once again is a copy of my reply to you then (with weight loss figures updated). My thoughts remain the same. I have asked you before to please refrain from bothering to type your thoughts on my posts again, yet today you have ignored my request. As I said before we’ll have to agree to differ.

“I put a lot of effort into controlling my blood sugar levels, I count my carb intake very accurately (50-70g/day), I test very regularly to check if my body isn’t tolerating something I’ve eaten. I don’t eat pasta, rice, normal bread or cereals. Metformin does very little to lower blood glucose levels and my levels do not spike and dip dramatically so I have faith that my HbA1c is an accurate reflection of my readings. It has also helped me lose 31.6kg easily, which will help too. I’m happy to take Metformin for the small amount it helps my blood sugar by stalling liver dump and helping ease insulin resistance, and also for the other benefits it gives. Fasting doesn’t suit me, I’ve tried it, my blood glucose levels just rise until I eat! I tested that recently when I fasted for my blood test.

I’m happy with the way I’m dealing with my Diabetes and you’re obviously happy with your way and thus we have to agree to differ.”
Congratulations on your sterling efforts to utilise lifestyle changes with additional Metformin intervention to tightly control your blood sugar levels.
There is no doubt that the Lifestyle interventions that you have applied in the short time since your diagnosis, has had a material impact on where you are today'. Naturally, you fully understand that this is an ongoing lifestyle regime in order to keep your tightly controlled Blood sugars....controlled. Nothing wrong with that philosophy and your commitment to applying good practice is testimony to that excellent control.

You are also spot on that your HbA1c is an accurate reflection of your HbA1c whilst on metformin, no doubt about that either. How much that metformin is having an impact on your HbA1c results in reality, is a difficult one to assess, because you don't have non metformin data posted to consider. Whether it helps a little amount or a big amount towards that blood glucose control is difficult to say with any certainty, but what isn't uncertain is that your fantastic weight reduction and Low carbing and testing to monitor and react accordingly to any changes, have had a positive affect on your diabetes and potentially a very positive affect on pushing any prospective negative diabetic issues down the line into the long grass, so well done indeed to you!

I have applied a similar lifestyle approach to yourself, the only difference is I was diagnosed 18 years ago and was on Metformin and additionally Trajenta (Linagliptin), the other difference is I am now on no medication and controlled by diet alone.
I do believe that where it is possible to dispense with Diabetic medication and where it is possible to do so safely, it may be beneficial for some because there is a potential financial advantage that comes with a non diabetic medication regime (as was the case for me at least)

I have been off all meds since July of last year after losing 3 stone (42 pounds) and having HbA1c's of 41mmol 5.9% (post 3 months of no meds), which has allowed my personal medical insurance premiums to drop below those who have achieved similar HbA1c's levels to myself but with Metformin intervention, the same has applied (for me) to straight term Life Assurance cover too. So there is a direct financial incentive to our wallets/purses in considering being diabetic med free where possible.
Anyway this takes nothing away from your journey to take back control and so quickly too. How some may judge that control be it with or without Metformin is not the important thing, whether others focus on whether to use metformin or not is not the issue but keeping on that journey to achieve and maintain that control is. So, may you continue to inspire yourself and others and if in the long term you consider your options on metformin than that is your decision alone to make and take as was taking back control in the first instance, so keep it up!

Last edited:

GraceB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done Rachel

GraceB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done Rachox - you are an inspiration. Hope your foot recovers soon. I have just had my tests. My GP said I shouldn't self test and although he was happy with the low carb he was horrified that I couldn't possibly eat ANY fat at all!!! BIt sad as I struggle with that myself. But as I say well done and keep up the good work

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your sterling efforts to utilise lifestyle changes with additional Metformin intervention to tightly control your blood sugar levels.
There is no doubt that the Lifestyle interventions that you have applied, have had a material impact on where you are today'. Naturally, you fully understand that this is an ongoing lifestyle regime in order to keep your tightly controlled Blood sugars....controlled. Nothing wrong with that philosophy and your commitment to applying good practice is testimony to that excellent control.
You are also spot on that your HbA1c is an accurate reflection of your HbA1c whilst on metformin, no doubt about that either. How much that metformin is having an impact on your HbA1c results in reality, is a difficult one to assess, because you don't have non metformin data posted to assess. Whether it helps a little amount or a big amount towards that blood glucose control is difficult to say with any certainty, but what isn't uncertain is that your fantastic weight reduction and Low carbing and testing to monitor and react accordingly to any changes, have had a positive affect on your diabetes and potentially a very positive affect on pushing any prospective negative diabetic issues into the long grass, so well done indeed to you!
I too have applied a similar lifestyle approach to yourself, the only difference is I was diagnosed 18 years ago and was on Metformin and additionally Trajenta (Linagliptin), the other difference is I am now on no medication and controlled by diet alone.
I do believe that where it is possible to dispense with Diabetic medication and where it is possible to do so safely, it may be beneficial for some because there is a potential financial advantage that comes with a non diabetic medication regime (as was the case for me at least)
I have been off all meds since July of last year after losing 3 stone (42 pounds) and having HbA1c's of 41mmol 5.9% (post 3 months of no meds), which has allowed my personal medical insurance premiums to drop below those who have achieved similar HbA1c's levels to myself but with Metformin intervention, the same has applied (for me) to straight term Life Assurance cover too. So there is a direct financial incentive to our wallets/purses in considering being diabetic med free where possible.
Anyway this takes nothing away from your journey to take back control. Whether some may judge that control be it with or without Metformin is not the important thing for others to focus on but keeping on that journey to achieve and maintain that control is. May you continue to inspire yourself and others.
Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Well done on your control over such a long time.
The financial implications you talk of make interesting reading, I’d never thought of that.
When I was first diagnosed one of my questions on my first thread was, whether it’s possible to gain control on meds and then drop them, I still haven’t ruled this out completely, but am happy as I am for now.

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Well done on your control over such a long time.
The financial implications you talk of make interesting reading, I’d never thought of that.
When I was first diagnosed one of my questions on my first thread was, whether it’s possible to gain control on meds and then drop them, I still haven’t ruled this out completely, but am happy as I am for now.
And that @Rachox is all that matters

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I was only diagnosed on the 23 Dec, but I had gestational diabetes with all three pregnancies (boys are now 16, 12 & 10). Back then I was given a blood glucose monitoring machine, diet advice and very quickly I learnt I could safely eat 2 new potatoes with a meal but 3 new potatoes would push me over 7. I'm only newly diagnosed but my advice is to get yourself a blood glucose monitor, I got one for about £25 from Boots, the extra 50 blood testing strips were £20 (just bought those extras today as machine comes with 10 strips).

So far I've had one blip, that was having a larger than normal breakfast, bloods were 7.4. I'm averaging in the 5's for most meals and once I have reading that I'm ok with eg Salmon with lentils/peppers/cucumber/olives/celery then I don't tend to test again. I've only been doing this a few weeks but will check regularly to ensure I'm still ok with those foods.

What amazes me is the lack of info that the Diabetes Nurse gave, I seemed to know more than she did and another friend of mine was also diagnosed just before Christmas and is has even less of an idea than I have and no meter.

I rang my dn the other day to ask for advice on injecting insulin when I'm not having a meal. I explained that I was doing low carb and the 5.2 diet. She was completely shocked and told me that they didn't support "these fad diets" and I should eat a crumpet immediately! She also told me that I should eat low gi food 4 times a day. No wonder I've gained weight since my initial diagnosis. I was previously told that injecting insulin would make it virtually impossible to lose weight. I've only been doing the low carb for about 10 days and I've lost half a stone and my bs are around 5 where before they were scarily high. Up to 11.5. She said as long as I wasn't getting regular readings of over 12 I was doing really well!

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I rang my dn the other day to ask for advice on injecting insulin when I'm not having a meal. I explained that I was doing low carb and the 5.2 diet. She was completely shocked and told me that they didn't support "these fad diets" and I should eat a crumpet immediately! She also told me that I should eat low gi food 4 times a day. No wonder I've gained weight since my initial diagnosis. I was previously told that injecting insulin would make it virtually impossible to lose weight. I've only been doing the low carb for about 10 days and I've lost half a stone and my bs are around 5 where before they were scarily high. Up to 11.5. She said as long as I wasn't getting regular readings of over 12 I was doing really well!
Oh and I've also reduced my insulin injections by 10 ml morning and evening. She'd probably have a fit if I told her that

pardalope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great effort . The hard part keeping to it. Hope you are stronger than me.

Melanie22056

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You really have done well. I am desperate for help and really can't get my head around what I am supposed to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I started with a HbA1c of 60 and then it went up to 70. I really want it to come down. I am on Metformin (2 twice a day). Please help....! :)

Mrsmary

Type of diabetes
Type 2

, post: 1665350, member: 400972"]As my title suggests, 8 months ago today I received a Type 2 diagnosis out of the blue (I had just had an annual blood test as I’m on BP meds). I found this forum that day and haven’t looked back. I found oodles of info that made sense, not the NHS rubbish Eatwell Plate and don’t test, quite the contrary, low carbing and self testing was the route I took. Initially 100g of carbs and 8 tests per day. Now I’m currently eating 50-70g of carbs per day and testing 4-6 times depending what else is going on in my life, illness, stress etc... and I continue on Metformin.
Thank you, thank you everyone! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You really have done well. I am desperate for help and really can't get my head around what I am supposed to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I started with a HbA1c of 60 and then it went up to 70. I really want it to come down. I am on Metformin (2 twice a day). Please help....! :)
Hi Melanie. I suggest you write your own post in the ‘Newly Diagnosed’ section. You’ll get showered with advice as I did. So many helpful people on this forum, it’s a great place.