1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

8 Months Since Type 2 Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by Rachox, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Melanie22056

Melanie22056 Type 2 · Newbie

Thank you very much Rachox. I will take a look and repost! Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Motters

Motters · Newbie

Rachel very well done, you must be overjoyed. I do hope that you are getting better?

I was interested to see you were following a low carb approach but had been taking around 50 to 100 carbs a day? I have had some success with LCHF/ketosis but have begun plateauing in weight. I need to get back on track post Christmas and this story is so inspiring.

Can I ask, did you also eat high fat? Or concentrate on low carb? I suppose, what is a ‘typical day’ as regards menus etc.for you?

Thanks

3. MichelleRosalie

MichelleRosalie Type 2 · Newbie

I really do not understand the need to test so frequently. What does testing do, apart from letting you know if your numbers are high or low? Do you change your diet for that day? I am confused. Help, please.

4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s personal choice really. When first diagnosed I tested a lot, I needed the incentive of seeing my levels drop to keep me inspired to continue to improve my health. I needed to know which foods I could tolerate and adjusted my diet accordingly. I gradually reduced readings to before and after breakfast and dinner. I want to be the first to know if anything in my body changes and I can make adjustments quickly rather than waiting 3-6 months til my next HbA1c by which time damage may have started. So long as I can afford to carry on testing and my fingers are ok I will continue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. harri83

harri83 Type 2 · Newbie

Hiya - well done to you, this is such an inspiring post. I’m recently diagnosed type 2 along with recent PCOS diagnosis and am getting my heard round both and how they work together.
    I have around 4/5 stone to loose myself. Can I ask what programme you followed for weight loss? What exercise did you do etc. Once again we’ll done on the huge achievement.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rachox

Staff Member

Hi Harri, welcome to the Forum. I opted for a low carb diet firstly to control my blood sugars but with the happy other effect of losing weight easily. I went for less than 100g carbs per day initially. Then after six weeks I dropped to between 50-70g.
    Weight loss initially was very rapid, now I continue to lose around a pound per week. I really just adapted foods I already cooked but dumped rice, pasta, normal bread, cereals and baked products along with obvious sugar. I’ve referred to the following websites for recipe ideas:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
    https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/
    https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
    I use low carb alternatives like cauliflower rice, Explore Cuisine pasta alternatives, HiLo bread and Lidl high protein rolls. The only fruit I eat are berries. I drink my coffee black.
    EDIT Sorry forgot the exercise bit, that’s cos I have arthritis so any ernest exercise is difficult for me. I just try small things like using the stairs instead of the lift, parking further from the supermarket door etc..

7. caroline_92

caroline_92 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A fab story @Rachox ! Really well done and also for being such a great forum member - always ready to share advice and support people, with a big dash of humour and humanity. You are one of the key people I see on here, who really make it the amazing place it is :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Rachox

Staff Member

Aww thanks! Making me blush! :oops:

9. Rachox

Staff Member

Sorry Motters I missed your post earlier. Yes I’ve havent gone overboard on the high fat bit. A bit of a mixture really! I do eat double cream with strawberries and the coconut ‘porridge’ (not real porridge, no grains) I eat for breakfast is high fat but I pick low fat unsweetened Greek yoghurt and some cheeses I eat low fat versions. I’ve had a few low carb high fat treats over Xmas but when they’re finished I’ll be back to I suppose you’d call it low carb/moderate fat.

10. johanna.summers

johanna.summers Type 2 · Newbie

Any chance of sharing what carbs supported you. I have red so much sad,y no one states what the carbs are any need to use the library johanna

11. Dabe

Dabe Type 2 · Active Member

Just had 2 weeks of this cold flu thing going around with bg readings up to 9.5 thank fully back to 6.0-6.5s

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rachox

Staff Member

I have drastically cut my carbs, they are not essential. Energy can be derived from other foods. I’ve cut out rice, pasta, normal bread, cakes, cereals and all fruits except berries. I use low carb alternatives such as cauliflower rice, Explore Cuisine low carb pasta alternatives, HiLo high protein bread, Lidl high protein rolls. I don’t eat cakes or biscuits unless I’ve baked them myself from low carb recipes. I don’t eat sweets or chocolate unless it’s 85% dark chocolate. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done @Rachox! I've been on a similar journey with similar results, it is great to have company! My one-year anniversary of diagnosis is next month....

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My thinking on Metformin is very much like @Rachox, I don’t do as much testing, but have made very similar food changes and am getting similar results. My next A1C is not due for another month, and then I will post my detailed results.

While I don’t get the side effects of Metformin, I rather aim for an A1C of 35 while taking Metformin, then a A1C of just below 48 without taking Metformin. (My thinking would be very different if Metformin effected my quality of life!)

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. hammerotis

hammerotis Type 2 · Newbie

congratulations on your success keep up the good work
    hope your foot gets better soon and doesn't hold you back too much

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Fluffyfred

Fluffyfred Prediabetes · Active Member

That’s awesome news and inspirational for others in the same boat ( myself) are you still low carbing now?

18. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I agree VERY STRONGLY! (It's a shame there is no emoticon for that, and also for DISAGREE VERY STRONGLY).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rachox

Staff Member

Thank you for your kind words! And yes I stay at between 50 and 70g of carbs per day.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook