What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi joe eggs or bacon do not have any effect on my bgs

Hi Karen,

Yeah, they don't rise me massively, maybe 0.5mmol. I left it as I was seeing a small rise anyway, sitting at 5.7 now so i'm happy with that. Also trying not to overeat too much as I would like to just cut 5-6lbs over the next few weeks if possible. Finding it difficult though, even when eating isn't that much.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What bug is that!? Karen not heard of a stomach bug doing the rounds, that's all we need with rest of bugs also doing the rounds?
Hope not Karen has I do feel ok now will try a toast later! Thanks, K

Usual one this time of year is norovirus, which can happen all year round though.. And is nasty, especially if combined with flu. Think that typically lasts 2-3 days, then a bit more for that post-viral wipeout. And outbreaks probably wouldn't be as large if people twigged it was viral, so antibacterial hand lotions won't really help.

Hope you're feeling better though, and it's a 6.7 from me!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen,

Yeah, they don't rise me massively, maybe 0.5mmol. I left it as I was seeing a small rise anyway, sitting at 5.7 now so i'm happy with that. Also trying not to overeat too much as I would like to just cut 5-6lbs over the next few weeks if possible. Finding it difficult though, even when eating isn't that much.
hi joe
when i first got diagnosed 8 months ago i had lost a lot of weight quite quickly obviously due to not being diagnosed consultant told me that would settle down i am still losing weight now a couple of llbs here and there although im at my ideal weight now i basically eat what i want i dont follow lchf or anything like that so bit of a bonus i suppose sometimes if you dont eat much the body holds on to fat maybe thats why :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi joe
when i first got diagnosed 8 months ago i had lost a lot of weight quite quickly obviously due to not being diagnosed consultant told me that would settle down i am still losing weight now a couple of llbs here and there although im at my ideal weight now i basically eat what i want i dont follow lchf or anything like that so bit of a bonus i suppose sometimes if you dont eat much the body holds on to fat maybe thats why :)

Could certainly be that. I had lost a lot of weight over a period of time. Since I left hospital, I have put on about 2+ Stone, which i'm not overly worried about, but losing 4-7lbs would probably put me at my ideal weight.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
Well what can I say had the most frightening experience around 10 pm last night just got home from visiting son and it started dizzy stomach cramps wanting to be sick then rush to toilet, never had such violent sickness and diahorriea in my life I just felt I was going to pass out, got my grandson to phone work for his grandad to come home,it lasted just over half an hour and I crawled into bed. I've been ok since but my eldest son who is a nurse said he thought it was the reheated chicken I made into soup yesterday and was very surprised at me doing this Has I should have known better! Slapped hands!
But I do think he's probably right and don't want the experience again thought I was dying K

thats is a terrible experience you had there ... but is can also be from a virus , I have tried something like it where in only 10 minutes I went from being normal to hardly being able to crawl out in my hall to lay waiting for someone to come and help..(and unfortunately lasted for 1,5month,)

the main rule for foods to other that might be interested is that if risky it always need to be hard boiling for around 11- 15 minutes no less, to get rid of salmonella or earth bacterias, in the owen always around 170 degrees celsius... and have it cooled down as fast as possible... but most people know this already ... but young persons many times don´t learn the rulse of cooking at home nowadays

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 at 8:00 , hmm... but I did eat 300 grams of carbs yesterday but also exercised really a lot, all my muscles hurt today..I am trying to eat more fat at the moment and wanted to give coconut oil a go, but now found that there is really not a scientific proof that is is better for keeping cholesterol lower than is butter...

does any of you have any experience with eating lots of coconut oil in your diet..?

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..the main rule for foods to other that might be interested is that if risky it always need to be hard boiling for around 11- 15 minutes no less, to get rid of salmonella or earth bacterias,.

Also wash your veg!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Germany_E._coli_O104:H4_outbreak

A very nasty E.coli outbreak that appears to have originated via some fenugreek seeds. That one's especially dangerous because of the toxin the bacteria produce. I think that's denatured if food's cooked properly, but certainly something to avoid.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
thats is a terrible experience you had there ... but is can also be from a virus , I have tried something like it where in only 10 minutes I went from being normal to hardly being able to crawl out in my hall to lay waiting for someone to come and help..(and unfortunately lasted for 1,5month,)

the main rule for foods to other that might be interested is that if risky it always need to be hard boiling for around 11- 15 minutes no less, to get rid of salmonella or earth bacterias, in the owen always around 170 degrees celsius... and have it cooled down as fast as possible... but most people know this already ... but young persons many times don´t learn the rulse of cooking at home nowadays
Hi @Freema I really don't know what I was thinking I put a portion in a bowl and popped it into microwave and ate it never thought about if it was hot enough to kill any bacteria, but I won't make the same mistake again horrible experience! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello everyone. Blood sugars this morning are 4.8.

@Granny_grump_ -- What a horrible experience. Hope you feel better and can have some real food soon.
@Bubbsie -- This really sounds like a stressful day yesterday. Hugs!
@Cumberland -- So sorry to hear about the hypos. Hope you get this sorted soon.
Hi ziggy_w just eaten at 12.45. Plate of cheese ham pear and blueberries salami quite a mixture but it's stayed down couldn't test 2 hours later has we had another appointment to get to, but not worrying about it today, but I'm absolutely fine now cannot believe it after last night, K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The last three nights our lovely HGV drivers have upped their anti against the safety measures.They now sound their horns at sporadic intervals throughout the night.One poor neighbour has it right beneath her bedroom window.Yesterday we involved the police so we will see if there's any help there.
Hope you are feeling better now K,take things easy today.
@Glenmac what a load of children your dealing with hope the police can sort them out! Absolute cannot write what I want to call them I'd get banned! HahaK

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Usual one this time of year is norovirus, which can happen all year round though.. And is nasty, especially if combined with flu. Think that typically lasts 2-3 days, then a bit more for that post-viral wipeout. And outbreaks probably wouldn't be as large if people twigged it was viral, so antibacterial hand lotions won't really help.

Hope you're feeling better though, and it's a 6.7 from me!
I am fine now so think it was the reheated chicken soup but thanks for asking! K

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ziggy_w just eaten at 12.45. Plate of cheese ham pear and blueberries salami quite a mixture but it's stayed down couldn't test 2 hours later has we had another appointment to get to, but not worrying about it today, but I'm absolutely fine now cannot believe it after last night, K

I am so happy that you are feeling better, Kathleen. Yes, this definitely was an awful experience.