Spiking on Fruits !!!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Weetabix are very high in carbs, though as a T1 you may be able to compensate, but for many, though not all T2s they'll elevate BS considerably.
View attachment 24968

They're not particularly high - only 11g per piece. That's less than an apple! It's also much less carbs and lower GI than many other breakfast cereals eg cornflakes, rice bubbles, oats. However I only included the remark about weetabix in my comment for completeness (since I'd mentioned I also eat apple), if OP is satisfied with his current breakfast size there is certainly no need to add more to it.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They're not particularly high - only 11g per piece. That's less than an apple! It's also much less carbs and lower GI than many other breakfast cereals eg cornflakes, rice bubbles, oats. However I only included the remark about weetabix in my comment for completeness (since I'd mentioned I also eat apple), if OP is satisfied with his current breakfast size there is certainly no need to add more to it.

All cereal is over processed, carb heavy and of very poor nutrients. The vast majority of T2 simply don’t eat it anymore because it hits the bloodstream hard, isn’t satisfying and running a couple of miles everyday after eating it is pointless and probably impossible!

The huge amount of good quality food that can be eaten for far less than the carb content of one weetabix is vastly preferable and for lots of us, 11g represents half of our daily intake. We can’t cover it with injectable insulin.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All cereal is over processed, carb heavy and of very poor nutrients. The vast majority of T2 simply don’t eat it anymore because it hits the bloodstream hard, isn’t satisfying and running a couple of miles everyday after eating it is pointless and probably impossible!

The huge amount of good quality food that can be eaten for far less than the carb content of one weetabix is vastly preferable and for lots of us, 11g represents half of our daily intake. We can’t cover it with injectable insulin.

Low carb is your decision, and I'm not trying to argue with people's choices. But I disagree with the statement that weetabix has "very poor nutrients", I find it to be an excellent source of fibre (particularly important for me since I don't get regular poops), according to the nutrition info it also has a good amount of iron and various vitamins. In the past I have also bought a variant that has extra protein. As far as carbs go I find it to be one of the easiest and most predictable meals, although of course different people may have different reactions. If people are restricting themselves to 20g a day or some similar small amount, then I agree with you that weetabix takes up a large percentage of daily intake and would severely restrict the rest of the day's food choices. Finally, I am not suggesting that OP adds weetabix to his breakfast, since he is satisfied with his current choice of an apple, my recommendation to exercise was only meant to help him with eating the apple, and if my suggestion was confusing then I am sorry.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb is your decision, and I'm not trying to argue with people's choices. But I disagree with the statement that weetabix has "very poor nutrients", I find it to be an excellent source of fibre (particularly important for me since I don't get regular poops), according to the nutrition info it also has a good amount of iron and various vitamins. In the past I have also bought a variant that has extra protein. As far as carbs go I find it to be one of the easiest and most predictable meals, although of course different people may have different reactions. If people are restricting themselves to 20g a day or some similar small amount, then I agree with you that weetabix takes up a large percentage of daily intake and would severely restrict the rest of the day's food choices. Finally, I am not suggesting that OP adds weetabix to his breakfast, since he is satisfied with his current choice of an apple, my recommendation to exercise was only meant to help him with eating the apple, and if my suggestion was confusing then I am sorry.

All those vitamins and minerals are added to cereal, all of which, if there is concern about not otherwise getting them, can be taken in tablet form.
The fibre myth was made up by cereal manufacturers to encourage us to buy their products!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are some subjects where one finds your initial response to is totally inappropriate weetabix is for me one of those subjects so I have deleted my meanderings..

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All those vitamins and minerals are added to cereal, all of which, if there is concern about not otherwise getting them, can be taken in tablet form.
The fibre myth was made up by cereal manufacturers to encourage us to buy their products!

The joke about some cereal products used to be that they had to add the vitamins and minerals to it in order to be able to establish a difference in nutrional values between the product and the box it was delivered in.

Reactions: Bluetit1802
O

oh_dear_me

Isn't it funny how different we all are and how we all react to things. I eat an apple every day with my low carb bread sandwich at lunch time..no spike at all. However grapes...oh dear me! What a spike I had, felt like my whole body was screaming "what have you done!!!!" ....and I haven't dared eat a banana since being diagnosed back in April...and I loved fruit so much. I do miss it....although I miss cake more ;)

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve lived in the Philippines and almost all the tropical trees out there are fruit bearing.

The tropical fruits are so beautiful to look at, very delicious, sweet and fragrant.

Last edited:
Reactions: oh_dear_me

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Isn't it funny how different we all are and how we all react to things. I eat an apple every day with my low carb bread sandwich at lunch time..no spike at all. However grapes...oh dear me! What a spike I had, felt like my whole body was screaming "what have you done!!!!" ....and I haven't dared eat a banana since being diagnosed back in April...and I loved fruit so much. I do miss it....although I miss cake more ;)

I made some low carb keto carrot cake and cheesecake, absolutely delicious!

The recipes are in YouTube and Diet Doctor site.

Reactions: oh_dear_me

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't want to take loads of pills when I could easily get the same things from my food, which costs a lot less than tablets, and I enjoy a lot more than tablets!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want to take loads of pills when I could easily get the same things from my food, which costs a lot less than tablets, and I enjoy a lot more than tablets!
Of course, why should you but like I said, T2’s can’t cover their food with insulin so cereal is an exceedingly bad idea for them. Cereal is a bad idea full stop! Even my grandchildren don’t have it, nasty stuff.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a person with more than one health issue, I need to have fibre in my diet for my bowels to work properly. Some people do need fibre. its not a made up myth. I listen to my consultant about this and soon get into difficulties with my bowel issues if i cut down my fibre from wholemeal bread too much.

I cant eat nuts or seeds, so have wholemeal bread to get my fibre, plus lots of green veg and salad.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We are all unique. Some members *only* have Diabetes to contend with and others have multiple conditions that require a balancing act to get right in terms of compromise and choice. Even broadly speaking dietary advice can prove advantageous or unwise, it is up to the individual to test and learn.

Supplements are sometimes necessary when a choice of food is restricted in some way but for many there are alternative food sources to choose from.

Gun to head, if I were forced to choose between Weetabix and an apple, on a daily basis I would choose the apple but it would be a small Russet eaten after a low carb meal.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
You don't need to eat the whole apple to get the benefit peal it eat the skin throw the rest, which is mainly sugar away.