Will it make a difference if I take 15 minutes to eat a slice of white toast?

D

Deleted member 308541

Gosh, thinking of pricking fingers for three months 4 times a day... , but I understand that's the way...
It's the only way to get a grip on T2.

I test before and after meals, plus my fasting test in the morning.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, thinking of pricking fingers for three months 4 times a day... , but I understand that's the way...
Once you know that a typical breakfast - for instance, doesn't spike your BG then you can stop testing - as long as you stick to the same set of meals, and concentrate on your next meal - in a few months, with any luck you can stop testing most days and only test as a check or if you wonder if you should have a dessert, for instance.

Reactions: LouWilk059

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first adopted the low carb way of eating over 6 years ago I tested by blood sugar quite a lot, with a focus on 2 hours after meals to see what different meals/foods did to my blood sugar.

I kept a notebook and wrote down things that worked and what didn’t. I still sometime refer to this and remind myself what I need to do.

After a few months, significant weight loss and a dramatic reduction in my HbA1c I had it pretty figured out what I could and couldn’t eat. And cut back drastically on my testing.

Now I only do test on a sporadic basis, generally once a week or if I am not sure if how I am feeling is due to high.blood sugar. The testing actually got boring as it was so predictable!

Just wanted to reassure you that you may also find you can test for a bit, learn and then dramatically reduce.
Good luck!

Reactions: LouWilk059

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband's sister has been a diabetic for 6 years now. She never self test. Only once a year now at GP and she manages to keep he bg level. She still has 2 50/50 toasts in the morning ( as Shen hates whole meal), she smokes, and drinks, and has puddings too. Oh, of course, she is on medication I am not sure what. Even she was surprised when I asked if she used a meter. She thought I might have type 1 I'd I need self test...

Perhaps find out what medication she is on, how often it has to be increased, and what her HbA1c results are. I have an acquaintance just like her. Or he was like her until he needed a knee replacement op and they wouldn't do it because his levels were too high, so he ended up on insulin to get his levels down. He is now much more vigilant and because he's on insulin he has to test a lot more frequently.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In Canada they give you free meters ,Costco , but they get you with test strips!

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I am not hungry at all. I never feel hungry in the morning. Just I love all things flour and carbs and not having any for months..., and this morning in bed smelling the toast from kitchen.. I had nothing but eggs for breakfast the whole month of November, and got tired of it. Move on to Oat bran in Dec and got bored with it now... I so miss having toast in the morning..

I’ve started the LCHF, have to say that Adding bacon to my breakfast eggs made me really happy. So now my breakfast is bacon and eggs with mushrooms and a few pieces of green pepper. I also have some coconut milk.

I feel much more satisfied and my blood sugar’s have balanced out and I can go six hours without another bite of food. I don’t feel hungry, I feel quite satisfied, no Carbohydrate cravings.

Try to resist the white bread, maybe a smaller, single slice, whole grain bread with butter would have less impact on your blood sugar.

Cravings suck!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
eat the toast as a one off it wont matter. however to eat it regularly would be unwise. you do need to test.

Jo123

@red-river, I'm a bit confused, you say you're reading no carbs yet you talk about eating oat bran and wholemeal bread,these are both high carb.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@red-river, I'm a bit confused, you say you're reading no car street you talk about eating oat bran and wholemeal bread,these are both high carb.
They are I agree but it's all about portion size and testing testing testing to see what your own personal diabetes can cope with - I eat both in small portions now and then as part of my lifestyle plan and I eat low carb between 70 -80g carb a day

Reactions: Red_river_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would urge you to eat healthy growing plant parts, rather than processed grain.
I do have Lidl protein rolls a couple of times a week but all other carbs are from salad and veges in their natural or lightly cooked form.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No I am not hungry at all. I never feel hungry in the morning. Just I love all things flour and carbs and not having any for months..., and this morning in bed smelling the toast from kitchen.. I had nothing but eggs for breakfast the whole month of November, and got tired of it. Move on to Oat bran in Dec and got bored with it now... I so miss having toast in the morning..
I got fed up of eggs too. I have to find my love for them again. Great weight loss food.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@red-river, I'm a bit confused, you say you're reading no carbs yet you talk about eating oat bran and wholemeal bread,these are both high carb.
I know they are carbs but won't spike bg. I can not go without any carbs at all so I choose to have very modest amount of" more healthy " carbs.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got fed up of eggs too. I have to find my love for them again. Great weight loss food.
Hahaha I have came back to eggs too, just not everyday though but it's quick, easy and convenient, sort off.. :)))

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would urge you to eat healthy growing plant parts, rather than processed grain.
I do have Lidl protein rolls a couple of times a week but all other carbs are from salad and veges in their natural or lightly cooked form.
I do have lots of green, I love them and can not do without green. Will look for this Hi Lo in big Sansburys at the weekend.

Red_river_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ordered your meter yet?
I know someone is gonna ask so didn't dare to get online last few days... . I am afraid the answer is no. My hubby totally brushed it away when I brought the meter up. And he's been away and always so busy... Will try again this weekend..