What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sheldon...there are a range of BG levels we should be aiming for...I've included those for you:

T2 Diabetes 4 to 7 mmols (before eating) under 8.5 mmols (after eating)

Your numbers are just outside the recommended range for T2 with the 7.9 on waking...but...for someone newly diagnosed and just two weeks in... that's pretty good going.

Pretty much anything can affect our BGs...anxiety...stress...lack of sleep...or when we're unwell...so for now I wouldn't concentrate too much on those numbers...focus on finding the right routine for you...one you can sustain in the long term...no need to rush...take your time...when I started on the diabetes treadmill my FBG was at 17.4...now 18 months later I have an average of 5.4...wondering if you are on any medication...how you came to be diagnosed...what your HbA1c result was...have you been advised to book on an education course...this site is a wealth of information...ask what you need to...I've no doubt someone will have the answer...be able to offer advice...make the appropriate suggestions...I've tagged @daisy1 who will give you all the basic information you need to get you started here...be interested to hear your progress...welcome to the forum...good luck.
Hi
Thank you for your kind reply.
Fast history: my first test was 19 at the doctors. After 2 weeks of switching my diet and cutting sugar out of everything I could it then read 5.2.
The first blood test came in at I think around 300?
I haven’t had the second one yet.
They gave me metforming but I don’t like being on medication so I never took it but focused on diet and some cycling.
I now eat as little carbs as possible and I’m trying the Banting lifestyle and I have to say I do feel a lot better.
I went and got my eyes tested and was told I had spots on my eyes but after changing my lifestyle I re visited and was told they had all gone so that was good.
Sorry for the rushed but if history.
I don’t eat any rubbish anymore and cook everything from scratch. I want to try and control this myself without medication.
I’m a really strong person luckily so I can just stop things straight away if I have too.
I have never smoked and I don’t drink, quite boring really lol.[/quote)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Thank you for your kind reply.
Fast history: my first test was 19 at the doctors. After 2 weeks of switching my diet and cutting sugar out of everything I could it then read 5.2.
The first blood test came in at I think around 300?
I haven’t had the second one yet.
They gave me metforming but I don’t like being on medication so I never took it but focused on diet and some cycling.
I now eat as little carbs as possible and I’m trying the Banting lifestyle and I have to say I do feel a lot better.
I went and got my eyes tested and was told I had spots on my eyes but after changing my lifestyle I re visited and was told they had all gone so that was good.
Sorry for the rushed but if history.
I don’t eat any rubbish anymore and cook everything from scratch. I want to try and control this myself without medication.
I’m a really strong person luckily so I can just stop things straight away if I have too.
I have never smoked and I don’t drink, quite boring really lol.[/quote)
You've obviously taken the bull by the proverbial horns Sheldon...your change of lifestyle is clearly producing results...well done...I am due a review next month...very much hoping to be in non-diabetic range & stop the last remaining Metformin...TBH honest I'm not entirely sure how much benefit I get from taking one a day...I'll discuss that with my GP...I am on a low carb high (good ) fat diet...not quite Banting...that is what really made a difference for me...mostly cook from scratch however I do have the occasional prepared meal which has to be low carb...I have reasonable control so far...now I'm focused on maintaining that...hopefully with just diet & exercise soon.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...an early start for me (*&^%)...must be the anticipation of all that snow arriving (hoping it passes us by)...finally finished my accounts something I dread doing this time of the year...later a little paperwork...housework...cooking...a good long walk with 'phat' boy...then I may get some time for myself...woke to a 4.9

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.4 at 8:00 going in the wrong direction
Freema...give yourself a little break...your control is excellent...a temporary blip nothing more...diabetes likes to throw us a curved ball occasionally.. for no reason...just because it can:banghead:.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
At last I got my 5s back. 5.8 this morning.
Wow due to illnesses over Christmas and carb treats I got some nearer 10s but hoping back on track for the year.
Its took weeks.
Metformin counteracting codeine side affects. Hoping to lose weight this week, if no hiccup.
Well done everyone's huge attentiveness given to your fbgs, no matter your result. Keep at it. Its worth it!

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
6.4 at 8:00 going in the wrong direction
I often have to back step to get a longer succession of great bgs. However 6s are still perfect. I understand why you need lower to start your rising day but don't worry. Tomorrow will be better, they always are after a few days of hard work.
You know how your body goes by now. Work with it. I know you. You will have this in 5s by next week. No pressure just give this diabetes a good kick hun.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just carried out my first morning fasting test after changing to low carb lifestyle 2 weeks ago and it was 7.9? Is this still to high? I was diagnosed type 2 a few months ago. I only had about 4 hours sleep so could this affect it?
I tested yesterday 2 hours after eating and it was 7.6 the meter says in range?
Yes bad sleep pattern does effect fbgs. Your 7.9 is briliat and a result of your hard work. Continue doing what your doing as it will reduce further because of your existing efforts.
Don't change what's working. These bgs are very slow in catching up with what's happening, now.

Reactions: geefull and ziggy_w

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Good morning......7.5 again at 5.15 this morning.I have the beginnings of a cold.We didn't get the snow forecast for our area overnight,but had stocked up on food just in case!Hope those of you in the amber warning areas are ok.Stay safe and enjoy your weekend everyone:)
Wishing you well @Glenmac I know from experience that weather conditions can change in a moment in Scotland so wrap up warm and take care! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Morning...good sleep...no rain/wind/snow here (yet)...if I can get myself organised an early walk with Harry is in order...then to finish off my accounts...possibly organise my paperwork...fingers crossed...woke to a 5.3
@Bubbsie We took Louie and Elle to vets yesterday and got the blood test results back later same day, Louie's Struvite crystals have gone thank goodness but he must remain on the dietary food for another 3 months. Chad thought Ellie could be starting with Cushing disease but again it's not,but further investigation needed so back again today, her ear infection has cleared so we will see what happens after the blood tests.
We thought it was an eventful day and we went shopping and had our evening meal at a local pub and thoroughly enjoyed it, but on arriving home my daughter phoned in floods of tears she looks after her sons dog for them and Benji had Cushing disease and he took ill yesterday and suddenly collapsed and died. We were all so very upset Has Benji was our grandsons and his wives baby they never had cannot tell you how upset we all are for everyone and Benji,we took them last night to a 24 hour veterinary practice has theirs was closed and they have arranged for him to be cremated has they have no garden to put him in. What a days ending is there no end to this awful new year,I know being a dog lover you will understand the upset, not everyone does.

My blood sugar at 8.10 am this morning was 6.9 and I'm not surprised! K