ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is it just me or has the Cost of food been detrimental to your eating plan for better diabetes control?
Or is it because I have a better eating 4yr old, so distortion my impression?
I easy get bored with food so I shop around. Even Lidl is putting their prices up, over and over again?

I'd be interest in how you are coping and any tips?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It Was Always Thus when the cost of production goes up so do the prices to you and me. not to say its always justified

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It Was Always Thus when the cost of production goes up so do the prices to you and me. not to say its always justified
I expected butter cost to increase as even none diabetics are bycotting margarine, these days.
Ham has increased, frozen foods (all), even Iceland are increasing fridge and cupboard products. To subsidise frozen goods, maybe?
Size of family size has shrunk too. A pizza we would share has shrank and has less substance to it. Some even look like they need a meal of their own.!!!!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed prices rising and I used to buy the bogoffs on fresh meat or the 3 for £10 and freeze them but you don't get those offers anymore - salmon was a big staple for us too but the price had shot up - never get that on offer now either.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We now make our own pizza just becuase it tastes so much better and you do get more bang for your buck! Also a fun thing for a 4 year old to do.

Reactions: ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I found it very difficult when my children were small. Not only to provide good food but with the cost of uniforms and especially footwear. Today I find it difficult keeping up with utility bills on top of everything else which means my budget is tight. Then as now I make a lot of different stews with different spices and side dishes. Using cheaper cuts of meat or without meat completely. I do not buy pasta sauces, instead I make my own as it is cheaper and nicer. As to my bg control, that has not suffered but I cannot afford some of the supplements suggested on this site which I would dearly like to try.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Imported foods have risen in price because of the 10% fall of Sterling since we voted for Brexit making them dearer.
Conversely UK produce has also risen in price because farmers/producers can sell more abroad because it is cheaper there now, also because of the fall of Sterling.
'Shrinkflation' I think it's called when products are reduced in size rather than putting the price up.
I can't see things getting any better in the short term anyway.

Reactions: Incyb

snowmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it may not be a bad thing for the UK, if food portions reduce and prices rise. cheap high carb fast food hasn't exactly been great for weight

things that used to be expensive treats e.g chocolates are now so cheap that you can buy a large tub of them for under £5. the supermarkets had large walls of them before xmas.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I found it very difficult when my children were small. Not only to provide good food but with the cost of uniforms and especially footwear. Today I find it difficult keeping up with utility bills on top of everything else which means my budget is tight. Then as now I make a lot of different stews with different spices and side dishes. Using cheaper cuts of meat or without meat completely. I do not buy pasta sauces, instead I make my own as it is cheaper and nicer. As to my bg control, that has not suffered but I cannot afford some of the supplements suggested on this site which I would dearly like to try.
I had to stop r-ala supplement too. I buy boots cheapy multivitamins but have to change to ones twice the price after op... However less food intake.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
it may not be a bad thing for the UK, if food portions reduce and prices rise. cheap high carb fast food hasn't exactly been great for weight

things that used to be expensive treats e.g chocolates are now so cheap that you can buy a large tub of them for under £5. the supermarkets had large walls of them before xmas.
I'd like those expensive too and normal food subsidised!

Reactions: Ultramum

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Imported foods have risen in price because of the 10% fall of Sterling since we voted for Brexit making them dearer.
Conversely UK produce has also risen in price because farmers/producers can sell more abroad because it is cheaper there now, also because of the fall of Sterling.
'Shrinkflation' I think it's called when products are reduced in size rather than putting the price up.
I can't see things getting any better in the short term anyway.
Before anything had changed most food companies hiked up their prices. Blo#dy#cheek!

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've always wondered what the cost per week of very low carb diets would be when compared to low cal diet. Particularly if someone is on benefits.

Reactions: Incyb and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We now make our own pizza just becuase it tastes so much better and you do get more bang for your buck! Also a fun thing for a 4 year old to do.
I just cannot afford the low carb ingredients at the moment. More expensive flour and hot water to do extra dishes!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Maybe .... More home grown, produced and packaged will come to pass?
Maybe need to follow Americans and be more self sufficient!

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
One year Ron and I grew our own veg . So much tastier. We only had a small back yard but it was surprising how much we were able to grow.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One year Ron and I grew our own veg . So much tastier. We only had a small back yard but it was surprising how much we were able to grow.
I will give it a go once i can bend... again. I grew flower window boxes yrs ago. I'd image similar?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can grow lettuce and radish and herbs in window boxes ,cress on window sill ,these are good to get little ones involved in and seeds are cheap ,sow a few at a time to keep you going with fresh produce .Tomatoes and peppers etc can be grown in grow bags if you have room
Carol

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were out with Canadian visitorslast night and their utility bills are one third of ours. Also transport costs esp train is nuts. No wonder so many have so little left after essential bills to buy decent food.