Cost of food now?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my friend one for her caravan from age uk charity shop for £1.50 - I love a pootle round a charity shop, never know what you might find:)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try freegle and freecycle sites as well, also local groups on face book some times have free stuff on, There an app for your device as well where people in your area put on food stuff they are giving away I THINK it's called olio

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've seen slow cookers and fancy halogen ones in charity shops for a few quid.
I am surprised about that because I have been told by charity shops that they can't accept electrical goods for safety reasons.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They can be accepted if the shop has someone to test the item and put a checked label on it for them.

Reactions: ickihun

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to emphasise the need to shop around I went to a discount butcher's shop today and bought four lamb shanks, 1 joint of pork and a tray of twelve pork loin chops and the bill came to just over £15.
This will make eight meals for my family. If I had bought all this in my local Morrisons I think the bill may have come up to double that price. Sadly, this shop runs out of fresh whole chicken and chicken thighs/fillets etc by lunchtime so I couldn't get any.
I do wish I could get my veg from a farm shop on a regular basis but the few around here are quite a distance away.
No discount butchers in my area most of the village butchers that were around closed a long time ago when the supermarkets put them out of business

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
charity shops round here dont accept electrical items. And i dont have a smart phone.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Unless you have been in the same position it can be very difficult to relate.
Me about others opposition too.

On another positive note. I got a 5yr bus pass today. Walking some and at a slow pace was making my blood boil. At least i can get around. No longer feel safe to drive even if i could afford the MOT on either old cars. They are covered over for a not so rainy day. I know this dry spell won't last. My tier3 is complete. :) :) :)
Once I'm able to return to work money will change. :) I'm not too old yet!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I feel hugely better now food is in. :) bought ham and bacon from Lidl this afternoon. No red salmon in ours.
I'm on a roll. :)
I just need to keep it that way.

Thank you all for all the tips, support and great info. :)

Reactions: tina_marie

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never see you be anything but positive @ickihun, always helping people here, want to wish you all that you deserve :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We just had a pack of the chicken thighs from Lidl for dinner - himself had them with a couple of baked potatoes and peas, I just had the chicken - and pinched some of the skin off his. I might have some fruit and cream - though it is a bit late now - maybe a hot drink instead.
A 1Kg pack is under £2 and I could make two dinners out of a pack if I wasn't so inclined to eat them all by themselves - with a heap of cauliflower or courgettes or salad a couple of them would be fine.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We just had a pack of the chicken thighs from Lidl for dinner - himself had them with a couple of baked potatoes and peas, I just had the chicken - and pinched some of the skin off his. I might have some fruit and cream - though it is a bit late now - maybe a hot drink instead.
A 1Kg pack is under £2 and I could make two dinners out of a pack if I wasn't so inclined to eat them all by themselves - with a heap of cauliflower or courgettes or salad a couple of them would be fine.
I might do a curry for boys tomorrow. I'll have a veg stir-fry. Iceland had Chinese spices on offer. I'm going to try them on a little portion to see if I like it..I've been using salty ones from son's noodles. Having blood pressure yearly check on Wednesday.
Less swelling on my tummy since less carbs or me too. Unless just wishful thinking. I love chicken, always have.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
charity shops round here dont accept electrical items. And i dont have a smart phone.

Slow cookers can be got new for around £10 and are a great money saving purchase. Sainsbury, morrisons and aldi
have deals at the moment from 3-6 litres depending on family size. Prices may go down as the weather gets warmer. See the older deals at the bottom of this list

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/slow-cooker

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slow cookers can be got new for around £10 and are a great money saving purchase. Sainsbury, morrisons and aldi
have deals at the moment from 3-6 litres depending on family size. Prices may go down as the weather gets warmer. See the older deals at the bottom of this list

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/slow-cooker
Thank you, I will keep my eyes out for a cheap one.