Cost of food now?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes food has definitely increased in price. I do my main shop at Aldi and their prices have gone up a lot over the last year. Advice to newbies on a limited budget is to buy cheaper cuts of meat and make slow cooked casseroles ok if you like that but I am sure with rising prices many can't even afford the lower price meat so even though they have diabetes they go for the higher carb stuff because it is cheaper

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One year Ron and I grew our own veg . So much tastier. We only had a small back yard but it was surprising how much we were able to grow.

I did the same thing more than thirty years ago and it led to my son becoming a horticulturalist. There is no comparison between home grown and shop bought. I started the kids off with the quick growing runner beans, radishes etc and it really is surprising just how much you can grow in a tiny back garden and tubs etc. Then I got the grandchildren doing the same. It is cost effective and it makes it a doddle to get picky kids to try foods they have grown themselves. Gardening is great excercise, too. Monty says "Give up the gym membership and get yourself a compost bin, it's all the excercise you'll ever need!".
I miss growing my own veggies, though I still grow my own herbs. When I can afford it I will have raised beds built and then my cup will truly runneth over. :)

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My God its Back to the war time spirit grow your own have a few chickens in the back yard for eggs its the good Life all over again that's the spirit if we all stopped buying at current prices they would eventually start coming down in price. Perhaps we should stop buying goods produced in Europe first to see how they like it.

Talking about the reduction in the Pound Give a thought for us Expats ( I hate that word I am neither Ex Or less Patriotic.) we got a double whammy Rising Prices & reduced Income at the same time as an aside Iceland products are just cropping up here in Bangkok now we have Marks and Spencers Boots Tesco and waitrose Products. & Iceland products Blimey its getting like Home what with all USA fast food outlets and starbuck everywhere

Last edited:
Reactions: waterlily2

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed prices rising and I used to buy the bogoffs on fresh meat or the 3 for £10 and freeze them but you don't get those offers anymore - salmon was a big staple for us too but the price had shot up - never get that on offer now either.

Iceland do three packs of frozen salmon for £10 and there is hardly any difference in taste.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The prices charged often have no relation to product manufacturing costs..butter is a prime example...the 'predicted shortage' was invented by the supermarkets and week by week the prices rose...by almost double.....the NFU were adamant that there was no shortage...ts all a scam ..price fixing cartel...but those in power arent interested. ..they dont shop like the general public, most are shareholders in the companies involved
too.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Me, hubbie and son (aged 17, 6'4) all eat low carb (they are not diabetic but do it for health) and our shopping bills have all risen massively. My son scarfs down packets of prosciutto and roast chicken pieces in between meals, and I have to buy packs of berries every day. I often wonder how folk on a low income cope with the cost. We are very very lucky we can afford it.

Reactions: Prem51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ignore the official rate of inflation, as i reckon food has gone up around 10% this year.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I did the same thing more than thirty years ago and it led to my son becoming a horticulturalist. There is no comparison between home grown and shop bought. I started the kids off with the quick growing runner beans, radishes etc and it really is surprising just how much you can grow in a tiny back garden and tubs etc. Then I got the grandchildren doing the same. It is cost effective and it makes it a doddle to get picky kids to try foods they have grown themselves. Gardening is great excercise, too. Monty says "Give up the gym membership and get yourself a compost bin, it's all the excercise you'll ever need!".
I miss growing my own veggies, though I still grow my own herbs. When I can afford it I will have raised beds built and then my cup will truly runneth over. :)
Couldn't agree more, grow your own veg!! Courgette glut every year, so didn't do any last year. I always used to grow outdoor tomatoes but they're be off the list this year which is a great pity. This year I'm going for cucumbers, courgettes, salad stuff and cabbages. My soils too dry for cauli which is my biggest regret

Reactions: ickihun and Guzzler

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes food has definitely increased in price. I do my main shop at Aldi and their prices have gone up a lot over the last year. Advice to newbies on a limited budget is to buy cheaper cuts of meat and make slow cooked casseroles ok if you like that but I am sure with rising prices many can't even afford the lower price meat so even though they have diabetes they go for the higher carb stuff because it is cheaper
The problem with sending a husband to Aldi for a bottle of milk is they come back with a bottle of milk and some boltcutters!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the cost of food has gone up in the last year, but the experts told us that would happen when the country voted for Brexit, so it's no great surprise.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm single.
My cost of living is low.
Get your utility bills down the same way the Canadians do.
It's not magic, insulate everything.
Don't sit in a shirt in the house, get a jacket on.
Try walking from your cab to the services in thick snow, you'll soon have to get used to a few layers.

Water, I don't use any at home, mainly at I'm on the road a lot, but I always shower at the services or gym whenever I can.

Food, I always buy off the reduced shelf.
No junk. (Well, not a lot anyway, but the odd pastie and pie goes in the trolley)
Everything freezes.
Even sandwich spread, and salsa dip.
Get down there on closing time on Sunday.

Then I just look at what Ive got to put together a meal.
Nothing goes in the bin.
Leftovers get frozen for another day.

And I can be away for a week or more, it's all waiting in the freezer when I get back.
Even stuff out of the fridge goes in the freezer if I'll be away.
I've frozen boiled ham, pate, even fruit rather than let it go off and bin it.
I don't even peal spuds and carrots anymore.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm what they call a supermarket tart ! Shop around and stock up and freeze when things are on offer. Luckily I have time to do this.
Nothing wasted.. All veg left at the end of the week go into a stir fry or the slow cooker to make soup.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm what they call a supermarket tart ! Shop around and stock up and freeze when things are on offer. Luckily I have time to do this.
Nothing wasted.. All veg left at the end of the week go into a stir fry or the slow cooker to make soup.

Left over curry for me, along with any odd bits of meat.
About the only thing I throw away on principle is the pastry crust on pizza, and the pastry edges on pies and pasties.
Bread crusts.
Empty calories.

I think that is like a reverse, 'empty your plate thing'
It's my way of saying to myself,
'No, I can leave food if I don't need it'

Reactions: Prem51 and ickihun

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect for fellow posters, there is a limit to how low one can go with bills and food, and how little money one can live off, given that, even with the greatest of paring down, the money one has is too little for ones basic human needs.

Grump grump grump, sick of being told to tighten my budget. I have no room left to tighten. Sounds like victim blaming the poor to me "they should just cut back, like I do, and all will be well and they will manage" - NOT

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With respect for fellow posters, there is a limit to how low one can go with bills and food, and how little money one can live off, given that, even with the greatest of paring down, the money one has is too little for ones basic human needs.

Grump grump grump, sick of being told to tighten my budget. I have no room left to tighten. Sounds like victim blaming the poor to me "they should just cut back, like I do, and all will be well and they will manage" - NOT

There is a limit yes.
Allegedly the UK wastes 7.3 million tons of food.
I'm not saying I'm poor.
I'm not saying tighten your budget.
Just telling you I'm not contributing to the 7.3 million tons.
I don't low carb though, but I don't think I spend much different on my diet.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Four people in my household each with their own dietary requirements and preferences not so simple to economize.

Reactions: dbr10

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Allegedly the UK wastes 7.3 million tons of food.
dont believe it. when I google what that waste comprises of, half of it is used teabags, peeling etc etc. Not actual edible food. And for the poor, round here, the people I know, every scrap gets eaten up.

Reactions: dbr10

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Four people in my household each with their own dietary requirements and preferences not so simple to economize.

I can understand requirements, as a kid though, the preference was eat or don't.
But, yeh, I have mates and they'll cook four or five different meals because.

Reactions: JohnEGreen