Cost of food now?

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dont believe it. when I google what that waste comprises of, half of it is used teabags, peeling etc etc. Not actual edible food. And for the poor, round here, the people I know, every scrap gets eaten up.

I don't do peelings.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The problem with sending a husband to Aldi for a bottle of milk is they come back with a bottle of milk and some boltcutters!
Mine too. Never get the full needs. Mind u he won't go shopping without a compainion. Its struggle on my own or wait for it to a good day for him.
On-line shopping if I have the minimum free delivery order amount in the bank.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There is a limit yes.
Allegedly the UK wastes 7.3 million tons of food.
I'm not saying I'm poor.
I'm not saying tighten your budget.
Just telling you I'm not contributing to the 7.3 million tons.
I don't low carb though, but I don't think I spend much different on my diet.
We dont have enough in to waste.
My poor benefits pensioner mum has offered a few bits til wednesday but I will not be asking for meats or fish. She's cannot afford extra.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I hope not , not paying £4.50 for a pot of oppo. Ron can do without.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a thread on here ages ago, talking about the expense of LC living and so on, and I can recall being astonished when one member described what meals she managed to achieve from various things. On think in particular was from a chicken. It just went on and on!

I can't for the life of me remember the member's name, or I'd try to find it, but it was a fab thread. I wonder if @Brunneria can recall whom it was.

A thread something like "How many meals can you get from a chicken/500gr minced beef or whatever" could be fun. There are some fabulously inventive people around these parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia and Guzzler

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds a bargain.
If me and my oppo go out for a drink, £4.50 won't cover it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The prices charged often have no relation to product manufacturing costs..butter is a prime example...the 'predicted shortage' was invented by the supermarkets and week by week the prices rose...by almost double.....the NFU were adamant that there was no shortage...ts all a scam ..price fixing cartel...but those in power arent interested. ..they dont shop like the general public, most are shareholders in the companies involved
too.
I agree that big business are only concerned with increasing their profits and shareholder dividends, not about consumers.
The NFU does represent farmers so they would say that, but the rise in cost of butter is due to farmers reducing production when milk prices fell the previous year, along with other factors including growing demand for dairy products from countries like China, and more people seeing 'natural' foods like butter being healthier than processed foods like margarine.
But the fall in Sterling will also be a factor as we import butter from Australia, New Zealand and Europe.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sounds a bargain.
If me and my oppo go out for a drink, £4.50 won't cover it.
What's 'out for a drink'? Luckily I don't drink but I cannot remember what a restaurant or pub looks like. Mr ickihun gets himself something once a fortnight to drin to relax with a good TV programme. I get fish or seafood or similar but even then that's becoming difficult.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree that big business are only concerned with increasing their profits, not about consumers.
The NFU does represent farmers so they would say that, but the rise in cost of butter is due to farmers reducing production when milk prices fell the previous year, along with other factors including growing demand from countries like China, and more people seeing 'natural' foods like butter being healthier than processed foods like margarine.
But the fall in Sterling will also be a factor.
I bet now milk production up butter price won't be reduced, the companies will keep the profit?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There was a thread on here ages ago, talking about the expense of LC living and so on, and I can recall being astonished when one member described what meals she managed to achieve from various things. On think in particular was from a chicken. It just went on and on!

I can't for the life of me remember the member's name, or I'd try to find it, but it was a fab thread. I wonder if @Brunneria can recall whom it was.

A thread something like "How many meals can you get from a chicken/500gr minced beef or whatever" could be fun. There are some fabulously inventive people around these parts.
I've found this...
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/affording-low-carb.68286/page-2. But no mention of chicken variations. I'll keep looking as I've ordered chicken thighs for Wednesday from Iceland and plenty of eggs. I've been warned not to put kids on low carb from hospital dieticians so they need cereals and potatoes etc. They hate beans!