1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cost of food now?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by ickihun, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Is it just me or has the Cost of food been detrimental to your eating plan for better diabetes control?
    Or is it because I have a better eating 4yr old, so distortion my impression?
    I easy get bored with food so I shop around. Even Lidl is putting their prices up, over and over again?

I'd be interest in how you are coping and any tips?

• Like Like x 2
  2. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It Was Always Thus when the cost of production goes up so do the prices to you and me. not to say its always justified

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I expected butter cost to increase as even none diabetics are bycotting margarine, these days.
    Ham has increased, frozen foods (all), even Iceland are increasing fridge and cupboard products. To subsidise frozen goods, maybe?
    Size of family size has shrunk too. A pizza we would share has shrank and has less substance to it. Some even look like they need a meal of their own.!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've noticed prices rising and I used to buy the bogoffs on fresh meat or the 3 for £10 and freeze them but you don't get those offers anymore - salmon was a big staple for us too but the price had shot up - never get that on offer now either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We now make our own pizza just becuase it tastes so much better and you do get more bang for your buck! Also a fun thing for a 4 year old to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I found it very difficult when my children were small. Not only to provide good food but with the cost of uniforms and especially footwear. Today I find it difficult keeping up with utility bills on top of everything else which means my budget is tight. Then as now I make a lot of different stews with different spices and side dishes. Using cheaper cuts of meat or without meat completely. I do not buy pasta sauces, instead I make my own as it is cheaper and nicer. As to my bg control, that has not suffered but I cannot afford some of the supplements suggested on this site which I would dearly like to try.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Imported foods have risen in price because of the 10% fall of Sterling since we voted for Brexit making them dearer.
    Conversely UK produce has also risen in price because farmers/producers can sell more abroad because it is cheaper there now, also because of the fall of Sterling.
    'Shrinkflation' I think it's called when products are reduced in size rather than putting the price up.
    I can't see things getting any better in the short term anyway.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. snowmonkey

snowmonkey Type 2 · Active Member

it may not be a bad thing for the UK, if food portions reduce and prices rise. cheap high carb fast food hasn't exactly been great for weight

things that used to be expensive treats e.g chocolates are now so cheap that you can buy a large tub of them for under £5. the supermarkets had large walls of them before xmas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I had to stop r-ala supplement too. I buy boots cheapy multivitamins but have to change to ones twice the price after op... However less food intake.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'd like those expensive too and normal food subsidised!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Before anything had changed most food companies hiked up their prices. Blo#dy#cheek!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. rmz80

rmz80 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what the cost per week of very low carb diets would be when compared to low cal diet. Particularly if someone is on benefits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I just cannot afford the low carb ingredients at the moment. More expensive flour and hot water to do extra dishes!

• Hug Hug x 1
  14. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Double.

• Hug Hug x 1
  15. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Maybe .... More home grown, produced and packaged will come to pass?
    Maybe need to follow Americans and be more self sufficient!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

One year Ron and I grew our own veg . So much tastier. We only had a small back yard but it was surprising how much we were able to grow.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  17. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I will give it a go once i can bend... again. I grew flower window boxes yrs ago. I'd image similar?

18. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Get the kids to do the work, just direct them, they will probably enjoy it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can grow lettuce and radish and herbs in window boxes ,cress on window sill ,these are good to get little ones involved in and seeds are cheap ,sow a few at a time to keep you going with fresh produce .Tomatoes and peppers etc can be grown in grow bags if you have room
    Carol

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We were out with Canadian visitorslast night and their utility bills are one third of ours. Also transport costs esp train is nuts. No wonder so many have so little left after essential bills to buy decent food.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook