Statins recommended due to cholesterol increase

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Sorry to post this so soon after another cholesterol thread, but just had the results of a repeat FBC, which came back normal (white cells low last month due to virus) but apparently they took my cholesterol again and it has gone from 3.9 (hdl 0.9, ldl 3) at end of December to 5.6 end of January (1.2 hdl, ldl 4.4) - asked for trigs but apparently the results don't show them.

I started LCHF 15th December. My results notes say statins now recommended. I've lost over 20 pounds in the last 8 weeks - and I've seen on here that weight loss can affect these results. I presume I'm within my rights to refuse statins and keep going and review once I'm within healthy weight range. I still have 2 stone to lose.

Or is this jump a bit too rapid and I should adjust my diet? Thanks for any insight you can give.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I was you I would keep going, and review once you get your next A1C result. Without knowing the trigs there is no way to work out risks, as total cholesterol is meaningless, with LDL being not much better.

(Without a change in diet and the weight lose, an increase in total cholesterol may have meaning.)

Reactions: eggs11

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors can advise, they can recommend, and they can offer medication. They cannot insist you take it. The choice is entirely yours. If a difficult situation arises with your GP/nurse, the best course of action is to say you would like to stay without statins and review this again at your next test.

Your HDL was far too low last time, and is now much better, and has contributed to the higher total. HDL will improve again on a low carb diet as carbs actually deplete HDL.

I think you can work out your trigs from the other components. The total is HDL+LDL+46% of trigs.

Reactions: ziggy_w and eggs11

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors can advise, they can recommend, and they can offer medication. They cannot insist you take it. The choice is entirely yours. If a difficult situation arises with your GP/nurse, the best course of action is to say you would like to stay without statins and review this again at your next test.

Your HDL was far too low last time, and is now much better, and has contributed to the higher total. HDL will improve again on a low carb diet as carbs actually deplete HDL.

I think you can work out your trigs from the other components. The total is HDL+LDL+46% of trigs.
So the total (5.6) is 1.2 + 4.4 - where do the trigs fit in - sorry maths is NOT my strong point!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the total (5.6) is 1.2 + 4.4 - where do the trigs fit in - sorry maths is NOT my strong point!

Hi @eggs11,

Usually LDL is not directly measured, but calculated based on the total, HDL and trigs. So, if they didn't measure trigs, some portion of your LDL probably contains the trigs. So, you don't really have enough information to calculate any of the ratio other than Total cholesterol to HDL.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11,

Usually LDL is not directly measured, but calculated based on the total, HDL and trigs. So, if they didn't measure trigs, some portion of your LDL probably also contains the trigs.
Interesting, thank you!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, thank you!

Have you confirmed from print outs or on-line stuff that trigs weren't measured? They may not have been grouped together with the rest on the lab report. As @ziggy_w said, they must have been measured to arrive at the other measurements

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you confirmed from print outs or on-line stuff that trigs weren't measured? They may not have been grouped together with the rest on the lab report.
I have actually today requested a full-print out of all my blood results over the last 2 months and am popping to the GPs to pick them up shortly, so will bear that in mind when looking at them, thanks.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well, I suppose you could argue (re your GP) that as your trigs are an unknown quantity that neither you nor your doctor can calculate them from the test results given that until you are due a full lipid panel at the next review that you couldn't possibly make a decision about starting a statin. Job's a goodun!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I suppose you could argue (re your GP) that as your trigs are an unknown quantity that neither you nor your doctor can calculate them from the test results given that until you are due a full lipid panel at the next review that you couldn't possibly make a decision about starting a statin. Job's a goodun!
True!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
they took my cholesterol again and it has gone from 3.9 (hdl 0.9, ldl 3) at end of December to 5.6 end of January (1.2 hdl, ldl 4.4)
The figures of 3.9 and 5.6 are not the total cholesterol (TC) figures your GP will have, since TC is not simply HDL and LDL added together, as @Bluetit1802 has pointed out. So you can't use these figures to calculate your trigs
Your triglycerides level, along with its ratio to HDL are considered by some to be the most important cholesterol figures for predicting heart risk
https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/triglyceride-hdl-ratio/

Today's lesson - always get a printout (as you are doing), or see if your surgery allows online access to all your results.

On LCHF some increase their LDL, but trigs results usually show it's mostly large particles, which aren't harmful.
For some this increase then goes away.
Geoff

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have lost weight your cholesterol should have gone up - the molecules are involved in moving fat around the body, so a perfectly normal reaction.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have lost weight your cholesterol should have gone up - the molecules are involved in moving fat around the body, so a perfectly normal reaction.
Good to know. I do find it fascinating that a statin has been immediately recommended on the basis of this latest result, bearing in mind my last one only a few weeks before was 'fine' although at @Bluetit1802 notes the HDL was low.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is true. When I had my last tests done my TC went up like a firework at Hogmanay but I was actively losing weight at the time. All my results showed was TC and non HDL. Worse than useless but the GP has 'requested' on three occasions that I start a statin. He can't see my trigs so he must either be judging by TC or he just wants to tick that empty box on my notes.
I notice that he has not taken the Atorvastatin off of my Repeat Prescriptions list (I took it for a week when he frightened me with that silly qrisk calculation and had muscle pain after just five days). We will see just who blinks first!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We will see just who blinks first!
Have you opened a book on it yet ? Can I put a fiver on it being your GP ? I know you won't let us down ;)
Geoff (neither condemning nor advocating gambling

edited for wrong word choice

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My headaches every time I read a thread about cholesterol! :arghh: It’s such a complex subject. I have my next blood test on Friday, ready for my next review next week. I’ve resisted Statins so far using the weight loss explanation. I’m hoping my numbers will have improved at least a little since my weight loss has slowed but still coming off, I’ve also been taking Benecol and vitamin B complex (both supposed to help). That way I can say, look it’s improving and put them off again!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, well, well - as everyone on here says, it pays to get a full print out of your results! I had no idea my hba1c was being retested at the same time as my full blood count was - it is now down to 55 (test was taken on 25th Jan) - was 62 2 weeks before that and 72 another 2 weeks before that - so going in right direction! It does say I need to speak to my DN about this new result, don't know why, but I will contact her.
Cholesterol test gives no details of trigs anywhere on printout - just total, HDL and LDL and that I need to speak to GP ( I guess re. statins).
Although FBC has been deemed normal now - it does say my mean cell haemoglobin level and concentration are low - no idea what that means.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, well, well - as everyone on here says, it pays to get a full print out of your results! I had no idea my hba1c was being retested at the same time as my full blood count was - it is now down to 55 (test was taken on 25th Jan) - was 62 2 weeks before that and 72 another 2 weeks before that - so going in right direction! It does say I need to speak to my DN about this new result, don't know why, but I will contact her.
Cholesterol test gives no details of trigs anywhere on printout - just total, HDL and LDL and that I need to speak to GP ( I guess re. statins).
Although FBC has been deemed normal now - it does say my mean cell haemoglobin level and concentration are low - no idea what that means.

I cannot impress more strongly that print outs are sooo important. Doctors and nurses always filter out stuff they think we may not understand. They tell you things on a need to know basis. Reception staff have no idea what the results mean.

Brilliant news about your HbA1c. Well done!!

Shame about the trigs, but when your next test is due, ask for them to be included (and fast before the test)

MCHC if it is low is indicative of iron deficiency. Probably time to ask for the iron tests (ferritin, iron, iron binding (saturation) and something else I can't remember).

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot impress more strongly that print outs are sooo important. Doctors and nurses always filter out stuff they think we may not understand. They tell you things on a need to know basis. Reception staff have no idea what the results mean.

Brilliant news about your HbA1c. Well done!!

Shame about the trigs, but when your next test is due, ask for them to be included (and fast before the test)

MCHC if it is low is indicative of iron deficiency. Probably time to ask for the iron tests (ferritin, iron, iron binding (saturation) and something else I can't remember).
Thank you @Bluetit1802! I honestly don't know where I'd be without the advice and support on this forum - everyone is so helpful and informative.
I'm sure I've read somewhere on here it mentioned about iron levels affecting Hba1c results - will do a forum search.