Rancid pig fat

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd give pork scratchings a go again.
Is it me, or do they taste like bacon that's been in the freezer for a couple of months too long?

Rancid pig fat in a bag.

Don't get me wrong, fresh cooked at the fair ground, or in the oven at home is fine, but the stuff in bags, utterly disgusting.

Anyone else, or am I the only one here?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Mr Porky pork crackles from Tesco, they don’t taste rancid to me!

Reactions: ickihun

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy Mr Porky pork crackles from Tesco, they don’t taste rancid to me!

They were the ones, utterly inedible.
Straight in the bin.

Weird how taste buds are I guess.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I ate too many in the early days, salted macadamias too, can’t go near either of them now, not even the homemade ones.

Scratching are good ground up for a crispy coating though.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Is it me, or do they taste like bacon that's been in the freezer for a couple of months too long?

Rancid pig fat in a bag.

Don't get me wrong, fresh cooked at the fair ground, or in the oven at home is fine, but the stuff in bags, utterly disgusting.

Sometimes you can get a wiffy bag

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Rancid pig fat in a bag.

Me too. Ive tried really hard to like them but every flavour from different makers tastesof rancid salty pig fat. I currently nibble chilli biltong instead

Reactions: cocobee.2017

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They were the ones, utterly inedible.
Straight in the bin.

Weird how taste buds are I guess.

What a waste! :wideyed: You should have let me have them! :hungry:

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not my thang either. They didnt exist in Scotland until recently. I tasted them in Nottingham 20years ago for the first time. In a pub. You could see the wee hairs. Freaked me out.

Reactions: LueezBee

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
All pork scratchings ever did for me was break my teeth when I still had them that is.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can still taste the ones I didn't spit out.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never bought any other than those from the butcher around the corner, and if you aren't in the shop when the tray is brought out you are likely to be too late - fresh is definitely the only way to eat them for me - but I used to do storage testing for Allied Lyons and so I know that my taste sense is above the average.

Reactions: SueJB

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Pork scratchings was a tool I used to stop craving carbs. Greatly effective. Too fatty for my diet thou if I want to get my weekly 1kg off. Insulin doesn't like fat much. Slows down the digestion.
However a great liver block to encourage great fbgs in the early days to keep low carbers motivated.
A great tool.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I saw your topic heading I thought you'd re-discovered an old and very weird (Victorian I think) treatment for diabetes - eating rancid fat! :wideyed::yuck: I found a reference to this when looking for something else via Google a while back, but can't find it again now to prove it's not just my lurid (or perhaps rancid) imagination working overtime!

Robbity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
Dietary management of diabetes mellitus
By DAVID R. HADDEN and E. ANNE WILSON, The Sir George E. Clark Metabolic
Unit, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast BT12 6BA
It seems strange that the early writers on diabetes did not seem to recognize the
effect of food restriction on the symptoms of the disease (Malins, 1968). John Rollo
(1797) may be regarded as the pioneer of modem dietary therapy, although his
theoretical reasoning was confused. His dietary advice involved a rigorous and
unpleasant lifestyle, which probably accounts for the unpopularity of dieting for
diabetes at that time. ‘Breakfast, 13 pints of milk and + pint of lime water, mixed
together; bread and butter. For noon, plain blood puddings, made of blood and
suet only. Dinner, game or old meats which have been long kept; and as far as the
stomach may bear, fat and rancid old meats, as pork, to eat in moderation. Supper,
the same as breakfast’. "

https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...f/dietary_management_of_diabetes_mellitus.pdf

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"
It seems strange that the early writers on diabetes did not seem to recognize the
effect of food restriction on the symptoms of the disease (Malins, 1968). John Rollo
unpleasant lifestyle, which probably accounts for the unpopularity of dieting for
diabetes at that time. ‘Breakfast, 13 pints of milk and + pint of lime water, mixed
suet only. Dinner, game or old meats which have been long kept; and as far as the
stomach may bear, fat and rancid old meats, as pork, to eat in moderation. Supper,

https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...f/dietary_management_of_diabetes_mellitus.pdf
:***:
13 pints of milk plus a pint of lime water (presumably lime as in chalk rather than green things given the age of the advice) twice a day, never mind the rancid/ancient stuff? Well, I suppose it was a cure of sorts. You'd probably be dead within a week!

I like Mr Porky or The Posh Pig (if I can find it) but having eaten a mountain of real crackling at the weekend I'm weighing up the pros (absolute taste sensation) and cons (blue smoke, fat splatterfest, oven mega-clean) of buying it from the butchers. And to think that for years the very mention of eating crackling brought condemnation!

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
:***:
13 pints of milk plus a pint of lime water (presumably lime as in chalk rather than green things given the age of the advice) twice a day, never mind the rancid/ancient stuff? Well, I suppose it was a cure of sorts. You'd probably be dead within a week!

I like Mr Porky or The Posh Pig (if I can find it) but having eaten a mountain of real crackling at the weekend I'm weighing up the pros (absolute taste sensation) and cons (blue smoke, fat splatterfest, oven mega-clean) of buying it from the butchers. And to think that for years the very mention of eating crackling brought condemnation!
Looks like there may have been a typo by someone - should be one and a half pints of milk and half pint of lime water! :bookworm:.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"

Maybe the law of unintended consequences! That dietary protocol would certainly make me eat very little indeed