Type 2 Should I Classify Myself as ‘In Remission’?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So what is your definition? Or is it not possible in your view?
I think its rather pointless semantics tbh
My perspective is that T2 diabetes is a chronic health condition with multi factoral causation that it is possible for some / many to gain good control of, but which is always lurking in the background waiting to bite you in the bum given half a chance
To steal a phrase “A Diabetes diagnosis is for life, not just for Christmas”

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its rather pointless semantics tbh
My perspective is that T2 diabetes is a chronic health condition with multi factoral causation that it is possible for some / many to gain good control of, but which is always lurking in the background waiting to bite you in the bum given half a chance
To steal a phrase “A Diabetes diagnosis is for life, not just for Christmas”
Wow.. we agree on something.. I knew it had to happen one day...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love reading these debates! I just want to clarify I was only suggesting I change my diagnosis under my avatar here. I want to keep my diagnosis of type 2 on my NHS records to get the checks and reviews it entitles me to (not to mention free prescriptions! :joyful:). My GP agrees that I am “very well controlled” and I wouldn’t want it any other way, it’s just that that isn’t an option on here!

Reactions: Biggles2

phila

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat chocolate, bread & cakes
I sometimes think I am in remission and on occasions boarder on hypo even when I have broken out then bang, back up again. So as long as I stay in a reasonable range I am happy.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was classed as type 2. The doctor said I was in remission and taken me off metformin. This was based on an hba1c reading being low 30s.

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had mine showing "In remission" and also dared to show in my status that my GP had decided to tell me my Diabetes was "resolved", but I was lambasted about it after posting an opinion on one of those threads about what would constitute a reversal, so I changed them back to just being a normal T2D.

People will always pick arguments with you, and try to tell you how you can or can't describe yourself, so I would leave it as it is.

You know, and that is all that matters.
Hi, i am in awe of your A1c numbers. Unbelieveable. Congrats. I am at 6.2, which I am really happy with. I can't comprehend your numbers because if i go below 5.0, i start to get a bit "wonky". Great numbers. Keep it going. Cheers, Peter

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I honestly think Rachel you deserve to be taken out for one of those “Eat As Much As You Like and Stuff Yourself Till You Drop Dead (gorgeous) Chinese Buffet” because you’re now in remission like me... you see!

Hahaha!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I honestly think Rachel you deserve to be taken out for one of those “Eat As Much As You Like and Stuff Yourself Till You Drop Dead (gorgeous) Chinese Buffet” because you’re now in remission like me... you see!

Hahaha!!!

Oh ok! So long as there’s plenty of chicken, meat and veggies with no dodgy sauces with hidden sugars!
Is it on you? ;)

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
I would never change my Diabetic status. Even if I was able to get to the point where I no longer needed Insulin or tablets, I still be diet controlled. Simply because the moment I changed my diet, or slowed down any exercise regime, my blood sugars would start to rise and I'd find myself restarting the same journey. My T2 Diabetes is what it is. I have worked damned hard to lose more than 25 kilos, get off my blood pressure medication and reduce my Insulin intake by half in the last 14 months (having started injecting in 1989.
I honestly believe that once you are a Diabetic, you remain a Diabetic. It can only be controlled, not reversed. So a non injecting, non med, Diabetic, with good blood sugars is just a very well controlled Diabetic.
Of course, I am not including gestational Diabetes in my view of this condition.

Geraintc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello this is my first post. I was diagnosed with diabetes in September. HbA1 level then was over 90. Today I have been for review and the level is 31. Consultant says excellent progress but I still need to be monitored. So I think you should celebrate your success and put whatever you feel comfortable with. It takes a lot of hard work to get the levels down and not every one can do it. But hats off to those who can and do it. Remember it’s only a label and it’s the person inside who matters far more

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would never change my Diabetic status. Even if I was able to get to the point where I no longer needed Insulin or tablets, I still be diet controlled. Simply because the moment I changed my diet, or slowed down any exercise regime, my blood sugars would start to rise and I'd find myself restarting the same journey. My T2 Diabetes is what it is. I have worked damned hard to lose more than 25 kilos, get off my blood pressure medication and reduce my Insulin intake by half in the last 14 months (having started injecting in 1989.
I honestly believe that once you are a Diabetic, you remain a Diabetic. It can only be controlled, not reversed. So a non injecting, non med, Diabetic, with good blood sugars is just a very well controlled Diabetic.
Of course, I am not including gestational Diabetes in my view of this condition.

I absolutely agree, and “very well controlled” is how my GP describes me and I’m happy with that, it’s just there wasn’t that option to mark my profile with here. However I wanted to mark my achievement in getting three non diabetic HbA1cs in a row and losing over 5 stone, for myself but also to inspire others. I have absolutely no intention of undoing my hard work.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have absolutely no intention of undoing my hard work.

You can't! It would spoil all your lovely graphs, trend lines, and stats! That's a huge part of my own motivation, and I know it's yours, too!

Mick1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have logged into my profile several times to change my diabetic classification, and hovered over the Type 2 (in remission) button. There is also a ‘Reversed’ option too. I don’t really like either term as I just consider myself very well controlled with my last three HbA1cs in the mid 30s. I feel I deserve one of the alternative classifications (sorry, blowing my own trumpet:oops:) and I think I prefer ‘In Remission’. Shall I change it or shan’t I? What do you all think?

According to my HBa1c results, I have been in the normal range for 2 years, in fact was only high for a couple of months following diagnosis in October 2015. However, over the past year, my eye tests show that I have developed background diabetic retinopathy. I don't take any meds, and my last HBa1c was 38. This leads me to believe that the disease is progressing regardless of control, and therefore remission is a term that I might accept whereas reversal is not in my dictionary. I'd be interested to hear if any others are in a similar situation.

Biggles2

I would say anyone achieving the non diabetic range after this test has reversed the diabetes whatever their adopted diet plan.
Not necessarily. I had Gestational Diabetes and went on to develop T2DM 16 years later - as approx. 50% of women with GD eventually do. I had at least 2 normal OGTT's over those 16 years, along with normal fasting blood sugars and normal HbA1c's. However, my underlying metabolic physiology meant that with a similar challenge (to the physiological challenge of pregnancy) my diabetes could return at any time. Which it did because, in my case, it was never reversed (cured?), it was merely in remission.

I am now very fortunate to have achieved remission again with a low carb diet. My personal threshold is 30 grams or less per day to achieve the numbers I do (my last HbA1c was 29mmol/ml). I've learned the hard way that this is a chronic disease. I was cavalier once - never again. I have Type 2 diabetes, it's diet controlled. My current status is 'in remission' - which I am thrilled about BTW!:)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to my HBa1c results, I have been in the normal range for 2 years, in fact was only high for a couple of months following diagnosis in October 2015. However, over the past year, my eye tests show that I have developed background diabetic retinopathy. I don't take any meds, and my last HBa1c was 38. This leads me to believe that the disease is progressing regardless of control, and therefore remission is a term that I might accept whereas reversal is not in my dictionary. I'd be interested to hear if any others are in a similar situation.

Sorry to hear about your retinopathy, I was not high for long after diagnosis either as I took action immediately but what worries me was how long was it creeping up on me before diagnosis as my type 2 was discovered on a routine blood test.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh ok! So long as there’s plenty of chicken, meat and veggies with no dodgy sauces with hidden sugars!
Is it on you? ;)
Sorry to spoil the party, but Dr B says you can spike yourself by eating too much even of sawdust. AND it's very hard to imagine a Chinese buffet with just plain chicken, meat & vegetables and without dodgy sauces.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to spoil the party, but Dr B says you can spike yourself by eating too much even of sawdust. AND it's very hard to imagine a Chinese buffet with just plain chicken, meat & vegetables and without dodgy sauces.
Oh don’t worry I don’t eat anywhere near as much as I used to, I think my stomach has shrunk a lot!