Sauerkraut!

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, had a meal with Dutch friends last week and came across some weird combination which I’m wondering might work for diabetic. They made a pie/ lasagne dish made with layers of sauerkraut and mince meat in tomato sauce like shepherds pie. Theirs also had mash but it could also be left out. I found it delicious even without the help of a glass of wine. Now I’m used to sauerkraut because in France we have them.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good. :)
I'm a sauerkraut nut, have it with nearly every meal.... lovely stuff..... though I have yet to prefect making it myself...... but that;s this year's project.

Reactions: 1spuds
D

Deleted member 308541

We like sauerkraut, and we also like kimchi which is great as well.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I spent some years in Germany, where the smell of vinegar and boiling cabbage could be smelled everywhere on sunny Saturdays. I remember my mother was eventually taught to make it by a neighbour of ours (It was forever called "Mrs A's" after that) and it became a staple of weekend barbeques and Christmas buffets.

That stuff just keeps forever.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Love it.Asda do a fresh version in the Polish meat selection.Amazingly good.

Sweet_Sophie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll check the polish section, their one came from Holland vaccumed

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought Lidl would be a good place to get some sauerkraut as the company is German. I asked the manager who is Eastern European, another good sign, but he said he had never heard of it let alone stocked it ???

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good. :)
I'm a sauerkraut nut, have it with nearly every meal.... lovely stuff..... though I have yet to prefect making it myself...... but that;s this year's project.
Love your avatar, @hankjam - what is it?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sue192 it's micrograph of a coccolithophore, Emiliania huxleyi. A very important microalga that forms huge blooms and has a beautiful layer of calcium carbonate shell. I used to study them :happy:
Thank you for that, @hankjam - it's been fascinating me ever since you changed your avatar. It certainly is beautiful - nature is breathtakingly stunning, even, if not more so, at microscopic levels.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
layers of sauerkraut and mince meat in tomato sauce like shepherds pie
The tomato sauce might not be ideal, depending how low carb you are eating, and how you feel about fruit. Tomatoes are on Dr Bernstein's forbidden list.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love it.Asda do a fresh version in the Polish meat selection.Amazingly good.
I read that to get the health benefits of sauerkraut you do need the fresh sort. I finally tracked some down in a Wholefood shop (Out of this World). Despite being fresh it lasts a surprisingly long time in the fridge. I never thought to check in Asda.

M

Member496333

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I’ve recently become heavily addicted to sauerkraut. Can’t get enough of it, and it even seems to be having a regulatory effect on my blood glucose concentration. Being a primal/paleo type, I’ve been looking for unpasteurised ‘naked’ versions but have yet to find anything that isn’t very expensive. Any recommendations?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’ve recently become heavily addicted to sauerkraut. Can’t get enough of it, and it even seems to be having a regulatory effect on my blood glucose concentration. Being a primal/paleo type, I’ve been looking for unpasteurised ‘naked’ versions but have yet to find anything that isn’t very expensive. Any recommendations?
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/simple-sauerkraut Make your own? Just a thought..

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eastern European and Polish shops in my area sell sauerkraut but I am not sure what the fresh one looks like. They sell jars of it in vinegar but also vacuum packed whole flat round cabbages and some are huge so is that sauerkraut and is it pickled .I have had both but never sure how to eat it so have only had it as it comes with salad so do you cook it

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The sauerkraut I mentioned above is from Pro Fusion Organic Living. It is raw as well as being organic. It seems to me reasonably priced, but then I eat very small portions so a 520g bag lasts me a long time.

Reactions: Speedbird

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just another one to tickle your taste buds @Jim Lahey Try making some kimchi, it's along the same lines but spicy and much more flavour than sauerkraut, widely eaten in Korea, I make my own every so often and keep a jar in the fridge, also contains healthy bacteria, bit smelly but it's worth it. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/quick-kimchi

Reactions: Member496333

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Also to add - I leave out the sugar, it's not necessary :)

Reactions: hankjam