1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sauerkraut!

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Sweet_Sophie, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Sweet_Sophie

Sweet_Sophie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, had a meal with Dutch friends last week and came across some weird combination which I’m wondering might work for diabetic. They made a pie/ lasagne dish made with layers of sauerkraut and mince meat in tomato sauce like shepherds pie. Theirs also had mash but it could also be left out. I found it delicious even without the help of a glass of wine. Now I’m used to sauerkraut because in France we have them.

• Like Like x 2
  2. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sounds good. :)
    I'm a sauerkraut nut, have it with nearly every meal.... lovely stuff..... though I have yet to prefect making it myself...... but that;s this year's project.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

We like sauerkraut, and we also like kimchi which is great as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I spent some years in Germany, where the smell of vinegar and boiling cabbage could be smelled everywhere on sunny Saturdays. I remember my mother was eventually taught to make it by a neighbour of ours (It was forever called "Mrs A's" after that) and it became a staple of weekend barbeques and Christmas buffets.

That stuff just keeps forever.

5. blanc71

blanc71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Love it.Asda do a fresh version in the Polish meat selection.Amazingly good.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sweet_Sophie

Sweet_Sophie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I’ll check the polish section, their one came from Holland vaccumed

7. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I thought Lidl would be a good place to get some sauerkraut as the company is German. I asked the manager who is Eastern European, another good sign, but he said he had never heard of it let alone stocked it ???

8. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Sue192

Love your avatar, @hankjam - what is it?

10. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @Sue192 it's micrograph of a coccolithophore, Emiliania huxleyi. A very important microalga that forms huge blooms and has a beautiful layer of calcium carbonate shell. I used to study them :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sue192

Thank you for that, @hankjam - it's been fascinating me ever since you changed your avatar. It certainly is beautiful - nature is breathtakingly stunning, even, if not more so, at microscopic levels.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

The tomato sauce might not be ideal, depending how low carb you are eating, and how you feel about fruit. Tomatoes are on Dr Bernstein's forbidden list.

13. Alexandra100

I read that to get the health benefits of sauerkraut you do need the fresh sort. I finally tracked some down in a Wholefood shop (Out of this World). Despite being fresh it lasts a surprisingly long time in the fridge. I never thought to check in Asda.

14. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I’ve recently become heavily addicted to sauerkraut. Can’t get enough of it, and it even seems to be having a regulatory effect on my blood glucose concentration. Being a primal/paleo type, I’ve been looking for unpasteurised ‘naked’ versions but have yet to find anything that isn’t very expensive. Any recommendations?

15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/simple-sauerkraut Make your own? Just a thought..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Eastern European and Polish shops in my area sell sauerkraut but I am not sure what the fresh one looks like. They sell jars of it in vinegar but also vacuum packed whole flat round cabbages and some are huge so is that sauerkraut and is it pickled .I have had both but never sure how to eat it so have only had it as it comes with salad so do you cook it

17. Alexandra100

The sauerkraut I mentioned above is from Pro Fusion Organic Living. It is raw as well as being organic. It seems to me reasonably priced, but then I eat very small portions so a 520g bag lasts me a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks folks. May look at making some myself then :D

19. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just another one to tickle your taste buds @Jim Lahey Try making some kimchi, it's along the same lines but spicy and much more flavour than sauerkraut, widely eaten in Korea, I make my own every so often and keep a jar in the fridge, also contains healthy bacteria, bit smelly but it's worth it. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/quick-kimchi

• Like Like x 1
  20. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Also to add - I leave out the sugar, it's not necessary :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook